Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #23,401 of 63,835
Yes, of course, it`s subjective. If You are very sensitive to highs (Your hearing is not damaged by loud music etc.) then v1 seems better. Just many have found v2 highs due to 2BAs in nozzle way too much.
I`m just generalizing overall opinions on v1 vs v2.
Can you tell me a couple of the songs/tunes you find better with the v1 than the v2 with regard to treble? I'd be interested to try and see if I can hear what you and others don't like about the v2. It is quite possible that I'm less treble sensitive due to listening to loud music as I played in a band in my earlier years and never used ear plugs. I also used to ride motorbikes long distances and I've read the decibel level of the wind when riding a bike is high enough to cause hearing loss with prolonged exposure (even when wearing a good quality helmet).

(I can hear the frequencies up to 18k on some tests I've tried online but I'm not sure how reliable they are)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #23,404 of 63,835
Getting drivers out of ZS5v1/v2 or ZS6 is PITA!!! You need some serious patience and proper tools to do that - they are full of dirty sticky blue glue!
That's because so far as I've seen they have crappy insides that don't match the nice outside. Hence, why there is so much inconsistancies in the products. Seems like everyone has to mod this or mod that to get them to sound right. Poor workmanship, jmo

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #23,405 of 63,835
Guys I'm using KZ starlines medium on both ZS3 and ZS5. When I push them all the way in, the ZS5 doesn't give that much resistance when I pull it out. Unlike the ZS3 that "burries" itself inside. So I think this might be the reason that I'm hearing a severe lack of bass from the ZS5. When listening to them A/B, the ZS5 sounds like it doesn't have any bass. The ZS5 just feels loose. I really feel that I don't get a proper seal. The bigger or smaller tips didnt help either. Should I go for foam with the ZS5? Trouble is I have to wait for 2-3 weeks for foams to arrive from ebay/AliExpress.

Sorry for the crappy description. I'm quite new to this.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #23,406 of 63,835
Iv'e got the Exclusive 5 and I was surprised by how much bass they have. I've used the shallow tips and the double flange tips that come with them and they sound great with both as far as bass is concerned. I think I'm getting a very close fit though, because I can hear some driver flex in the left side when inserting (my right ear canal just a little bigger I think). Did you try all the supplied tips?

How is the ZS5 compare with TFZ Exclusive 5? Is there audible improvement? TFZ are in my sight. Is it worth upgrade?

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #23,408 of 63,835
How is the ZS5 compare with TFZ Exclusive 5? Is there audible improvement? TFZ are in my sight. Is it worth upgrade?
Yes, absolutely. I still like the ZS5s but the TFZ Exclusive 5 is in a different class as far as I'm concerned. The main difference is in the texture, for want of a better word, of the mids...I'm not sure what kind of music you like but I used the first track off Dream Theater's 2013 album to test the two back to back and the crunchy sound of the guitar is far more present and detailed with the Exclusive 5s. Apart from that, I'd say they were a level up all round (detail, bass etcetera) but I'm not very good at describing sound quality. The easiest way I can sum up is to say that the TFZ Exclusive 5s cost me three times more than the ZS5s and I was really pleased I bought them when I first plugged them in. I was impressed, not disappointed. Only small negative I can think of is that the cables don't seem to fit very tightly into the sockets so I actually put a tiny dab of glue in mine. I don't think they'd actually drop out but I could see a couple of mm of the metal prongs after wearing them for a while and then taking them out, and it used to annoy me.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #23,409 of 63,835
Yes, absolutely. I still like the ZS5s but the TFZ Exclusive 5 is in a different class as far as I'm concerned. The main difference is in the texture, for want of a better word, of the mids...I'm not sure what kind of music you like but I used the first track off Dream Theater's 2013 album to test the two back to back and the crunchy sound of the guitar is far more present and detailed with the Exclusive 5s. Apart from that, I'd say they were a level up all round (detail, bass etcetera) but I'm not very good at describing sound quality. The easiest way I can sum up is to say that the TFZ Exclusive 5s cost me three times more than the ZS5s and I was really pleased I bought them when I first plugged them in. I was impressed, not disappointed. Only small negative I can think of is that the cables don't seem to fit very tightly into the sockets so I actually put a tiny dab of glue in mine. I don't think they'd actually drop out but I could see a couple of mm of the metal prongs after wearing them for a while and then taking them out, and it used to annoy me.
Those TFZ's look like RHA Clones with the exception of no filters.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #23,410 of 63,835
That's because so far as I've seen they have crappy insides that don't match the nice outside. Hence, why there is so much inconsistancies in the products. Seems like everyone has to mod this or mod that to get them to sound right. Poor workmanship, jmo

I don't think tip rolling to get improved sound is a negative thing, nor is it an indicator or poor workmanship and/or inconsistencies. Most of us tip and earpad roll just about everything we own at one point or another. Tip rolling is a valid and encouraged way to tweak the properties of an earphone for more individuality - helping with comfort, sound tuning, fitment issues, etc.

Do you actually own the ZS5, or is this opinion you have solely based on what you've read/heard/watched on youtube?

When you say "crappy insides", are you talking about the 'blue advesive', which is in reality silicone sealant used to actually IMPROVE IEMs by helping to dampen harmonics and reflected waves in multi-driver and especially BA-based IEMs? 90% of IEMs don't even have this additional feature, and KZ could have saved money by omitting it like most manufacturers.

It's a $20 IEM, mass produced in China. That's TWENTY DOLLARS - the same as a couple of Chipolte burritos, a few gallons of gasoline, or a few cups of Starbucks. For the price they are an incredible value. Go compare them to a pair of $20 earbuds from Best Buy, and see which one is "crappy".

Sure, there are a few QC issues here and there with KZ, but that's the case with every product no matter who the manufacturer is.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #23,411 of 63,835
I don't think tip rolling to get improved sound is a negative thing, nor is it an indicator or poor workmanship and/or inconsistencies. Most of us tip and earpad roll just about everything we own at one point or another. Tip rolling is a valid and encouraged way to tweak the properties of an earphone for more individuality - helping with comfort, sound tuning, fitment issues, etc.

Do you actually own the ZS5, or is this opinion you have solely based on what you've read/heard/watched on youtube?

When you say "crappy insides", are you talking about the 'blue advesive', which is in reality silicone sealant used to actually IMPROVE IEMs by helping to dampen harmonics and reflected waves in multi-driver and especially BA-based IEMs? 90% of IEMs don't even have this additional feature, and KZ could have saved money by omitting it like most manufacturers.

Sure, there are a few QC issues here and there with KZ, but that's the case with every product no matter who the manufacturer is.
I own the KZS5, KZS6, ED9 , ATE and some others, I still think the "inside" workmanship is to coin a phrase "Crappy" and I do tip roll, that is usually a given with most IEM's. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #23,412 of 63,835
I own the KZS5, KZS6, ED9 , ATE and some others, I still think the "inside" workmanship is to coin a phrase "Crappy" and I do tip roll, that is usually a given with most IEM's. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Don't worry, you didn't ruffle my feathers, and I wasn't assumimg anything other than the words that came out of your own post.

I was simply trying to understand where you were coming from that's all. You came across as bent out of shape over a $20 Chinese IEM not being the pinnacle of quality and worksmanship. And there seems to be quite a few armchair types that don't even own an IEM, yet have a strong opinion after watching a few biased YouTube videos.

We all hear things differently, and not every headphone is everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like the ZS5, move onto to something else that you do like - there's certainly plenty to pick from in the same price category. Life's too short to not enjoy your music on something you feel good about.

That's great that you tip roll, it it looks like you have a nice little collection of IEMs. I hope you find something that you like better, as we are all on that journey :)

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #23,413 of 63,835
Don't worry, you didn't ruffle my feathers, and I wasn't assumimg anything other than the words that came out of your own post.

I was simply trying to understand where you were coming from that's all. You came across as bent out of shape over a $20 Chinese IEM not being the pinnacle of quality and worksmanship. And there seems to be quite a few armchair types that don't even own an IEM, yet have a strong opinion after watching a few biased YouTube videos.

We all hear things differently, and not every headphone is everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like the ZS5, move onto to something else that you do like - there's certainly plenty to pick from in the same price category. Life's too short to not enjoy your music on something you feel good about.

That's great that you tip roll, it it looks like you have a nice little collection of IEMs. I hope you find something that you like better, as we are all on that journey :)
Agree on the journey section and everyone has different preference depending on hearing, btw, I never said that I didn't like the ZS5, however I prefer the ZS6 over it. Also never watch youtube reviews, prefer to read (it takes more thought to write an article imo) I have a lot of audio equipment as I am sure you also. Cheers

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #23,414 of 63,835

.I concur entirely except that I have no issue at all with cable fit. Nice and tight.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #23,415 of 63,835
Used the ZS5 on two long bus journeys today... In fact am still sitting on a bus right now listening to them....for the money they're brilliant. Better than the other KZs I've heard... Haven't heard the ZS6s though...

Big fan of the brand, and particularly the price to performance ratio.

It's just an easy, cheap way to make your life nicer. What's not to like?

I can't wait for my LZ A4s, but for so so so so many people the ZS5s are all they'd ever need IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back