Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 13, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #23,418 of 63,834
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #23,421 of 63,834
Guys I'm using KZ starlines medium on both ZS3 and ZS5. When I push them all the way in, the ZS5 doesn't give that much resistance when I pull it out. Unlike the ZS3 that "burries" itself inside. So I think this might be the reason that I'm hearing a severe lack of bass from the ZS5. When listening to them A/B, the ZS5 sounds like it doesn't have any bass. The ZS5 just feels loose. I really feel that I don't get a proper seal. The bigger or smaller tips didnt help either. Should I go for foam with the ZS5? Trouble is I have to wait for 2-3 weeks for foams to arrive from ebay/AliExpress.

Sorry for the crappy description. I'm quite new to this.

My foam tips arrived just yesterday and the seal much more secure and deep so the bass is clearer and deeper with some more warmht. A good seal is important. I agree that the zs3 sucks a kind of vacuum in your ear while zs5 just wont get deep enough. So fomies are much better and are very cheap on aliexpress

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #23,422 of 63,834
Had the chance to audition the BGVP DM5 side by side with the Zs6 today as one of my co-workers picked up the DM5. Much as I like the Zs6, for $15 more the DM5 was a better buy. The sound signature on the DM5 is more refined with a mid-forward sound and well mannered treble. It loses a little sub-bass extension to the Zs6 so bassheads may prefer the Zs6 but those who want a little bit more balanced and less V shaped signature will like the DM5. I also think the build on the DM5 was on par or a little better than the zs6. I like the cable attachments better on the DM5 as the mmcx isnt mostly plastic like the socket on the Zs6. I'm getting to the point where I think that to get much better than what Kz has already done, they are either going to have to really step up their game or you are better to save up what you would have spent on 2 or 3 Kz items and grab a BGVP DM5, a Magaosi K3, a Fiio F9, or a TFZ series 2. We put all of those side by side with the Zs6 today and all of them bettered the Zs6 with the possible exception of the Series 2 which is way more balanced but really loses out on the bass extension and quantity.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #23,423 of 63,834
Had the chance to audition the BGVP DM5 side by side with the Zs6 today as one of my co-workers picked up the DM5. Much as I like the Zs6, for $15 more the DM5 was a better buy. The sound signature on the DM5 is more refined with a mid-forward sound and well mannered treble. It loses a little sub-base extension to the Zs6 so bassheads may prefer the Zs6 but those who want a little bit more balanced and less V shaped signature will like the DM5. I also think the build on the DM5 was on par or a little better than the zs6. I like the cable attachments better on the DM5 as the mmcx isnt mostly plastic like the socket on the Zs6. I'm getting to the point where I think that to get much better than what Kz has already done, they are either going to have to really step up their game or you are better to save up what you would have spent on 2 or 3 Kz items and grab a BGVP DM5, a Magaosi K3, a Fiio F9, or a TFZ series 2. We put all of those side by side with the Zs6 today and all of them bettered the Zs6 with the possible exception of the Series 2 which is way more balanced but really loses out on the bass extension and quantity.

Very good insight.

So at the end if you have a choice which should one pick if one likes abit more bass and forward mids.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #23,426 of 63,834
As announced, my full review of the ZS6 (that can, as always, be translated to pretty much any language using the translator widget below the navigation bar, well, except for maybe Klingon, however Klingon is no real existing language anyway, so...) went live today: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/10/knowledge-zenith-kz-zs6-review-german-deutsch.html

DSC04447-small.JPG

Be warned, it (<- my review) is rather edgy.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #23,428 of 63,834
vV1kn9L.jpg

i10i6P0.jpg

My KZ ED2 just came in the mail today :)

The SQ is definitely on par with what everybody says about them, they're overall a good sounding IEM and they do everything just right. Not perfect, but just right. Bass has just the right amount of tightness (more sub-bass than mid-bass), mids are detailed and clear, and the treble is bright and crisp without sounding too splashy or overdone like the KZ ED9. They also sound quite loud on my phone compared to my ATE-S and HDS3, which is a good indication that they don't need much power to drive them. Overall the sound is tamed and balanced but still forward sounding; it's a V-shaped sound signature done right at a low price point.

P.S. The packaging says it's the EDR1, is that just another name for the ED2?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #23,429 of 63,834
Posted this by accident :astonished:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #23,430 of 63,834
So guys I need your help in two matters

1. I bought the xiaomi mi A1 since it had a dedicated amp thought it might pair up nicely with my ZS5 v2 but turns out they are too damn sensitive for my phone amp and I head a constant hissing which is loud enough to be noticeable during songs so I am as many people suggesting using an impedance adapter but since I can't bear buying a adapter which will cost me more than a new pair of IEM I am just making my own impedance adapter I have already received the parts just waiting on the resistances I want to know the ideal resistance to use.I couldn't find the spec sheet of the amp used in the mi A1 just know what they advertised that it support headphone upto 600 ohm and a voltage of 10V.
IMG_20171014_140107.jpg

2. I am a student can't afford to buy a DAC+AMP so I thought of making my own using PCM5120A DAC which is used in the Fiio E10k and TPA6120 Amp which is used in the SMSL SAP-9 but the problem is I can't seem to find a usb to I2S board(not a chip) can anyone help me in finding a way to used this DAC+AMP with a computer using usb. Also if I could program an arduino to function as a usb to I2S bridge/boards.I know this is not the right thread but I did make a thread about this in the DIY section but no replies.:triportsad:

Chips I am referring to
TPA6120
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CJM...ower-audio-amplifier-TPA6120/32767803829.html

PCM5102a
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ras...-bit-Audio-Board-With-Stereo/32744871341.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back