Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #23,341 of 63,918
Does the low impedance rating (15 ohms) have something to do with the hissing sound? Does the hissing sound occurs because the ZS6 is too sensitive because of its low impedance?

Anyway, thanks for all the answers, guys! :D

It's a combination of the low impedance, high sensitivity (<- main factor) and elevated treble that leads to the ZS6 being quite hiss-revealing.

Nope, your IEMs aren't defective in terms of revealing the source's hiss. The xDuoo X3 is, by the way, a really hissy DAP anyway.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #23,342 of 63,918
You know when someone barges into a thread that has many pages and they're like.. hey I'm too lazy to read the thread, someone else do the work for me and find the answer to this question. and everyone hates him and immediately starts telling him to just read the thread or use the search function you lazy piece of trash.
anyway, what's a good cheap balanced cable that's compatible with the ZS6? I have a zs6 on the way and I just got a sabaj da3 balanced dac/amp and I think the 2.5mm balanced port on the da3 dac is messed up because I have a 2.5mm to dual rca cable and when I plug it into my preamp there's distortion. and I'd like to test it by using the zs6 and a balanced iem cable.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #23,343 of 63,918
Can somebody compare Comply tips from those generic Aliexpress foam tips? I ordered 20 pairs on aliexpress for 8 dollars, and if they are close to the feel of complys, then they're a steal. They're still on their way though.

I'll be using them on my ZST, ZS6 and my good old Mi Hybrids

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #23,344 of 63,918
anyway, what's a good cheap balanced cable that's compatible with the ZS6?
I haven't seen any for under about $30 with the right pins. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the SPC and OFC upgrade cables are full 4 wire runs, so you could convert one easily enough if you don't mind a little DIY.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #23,345 of 63,918
Can somebody compare Comply tips from those generic Aliexpress foam tips? I ordered 20 pairs on aliexpress for 8 dollars, and if they are close to the feel of complys, then they're a steal. They're still on their way though.

I'll be using them on my ZST, ZS6 and my good old Mi Hybrids
All the real Comply I've ever tried had slower rebounding foam, allowing for a deeper insertion and better isolation. This same feature makes them remarkably uncomfortable for me for long-term wear however. The generic foams found on ali are made of a faster rebounding foam - they grow back to their original size rapidly, making especially deep insertion difficult, but due to the same they are far more comfortable imo. Not sure about sound differences, but the chi-foams do a fine job of taming the highs.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #23,346 of 63,918
thanks Vector, I decided to try reterminating the cable to balanced.. ordered this connector because it looks diy friendly with that set screw and looks like it has some kind of internal rubber insulation insert

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #23,347 of 63,918
You know when someone barges into a thread that has many pages and they're like.. hey I'm too lazy to read the thread, someone else do the work for me and find the answer to this question. and everyone hates him and immediately starts telling him to just read the thread or use the search function you lazy piece of trash.
anyway, what's a good cheap balanced cable that's compatible with the ZS6? I have a zs6 on the way and I just got a sabaj da3 balanced dac/amp and I think the 2.5mm balanced port on the da3 dac is messed up because I have a 2.5mm to dual rca cable and when I plug it into my preamp there's distortion. and I'd like to test it by using the zs6 and a balanced iem cable.

I have balanced cable connected to my ZS6, looks like this:
DSC09933.jpg

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #23,348 of 63,918
Regarding on sources that I use, I don't hear any hissing on my Superlux HA3D amp, but on my two DAPs (Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, and an Xduoo X3) I'm hearing constant hissing. I also don't hear any hissing on the headphone jack of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. So, my pair isn't defective at all?

I can't speak for DAPs but most Android smartphones have software tricks to make the noise floor unnoticeable. The headphone output will shut off when it is not being used, so of course there is no audible noise floor. If you play back a "silent" audio clip, you may find that there is actually a high noise floor, but it becomes inaudible when actual music is playing.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #23,349 of 63,918
Hey, to those with the ZS3. I found a new mod tonight.

It has been previously posted by a few people that removing the red screen on the very end of the nozzle affects the sound. Removing it reduces the bass quantity slightly (while simultaneously removing the muddiness), and also improves the midrange.

Well, I found a different mod that makes further improvements.

BEHIND the red screen is a small piece of black acoustic foam. It's stuffed in the very tip of the plastic tube (the color of the plastic tube might be red or blue). It's exactly like the piece of foam stuffed inside of the shiny gold ED9 filter. Anyways, you REMOVE this piece of foam by just grabbing it with the tip of a sewing needle. You'll need a flashlight to assist seeing down inside of the nozzle to where the foam is. Carefully set aside the foam - they're extremely small and easy to lose. You can store the foam pieces in a small ziplock baggie like the one that many silicone eartips come in.

The change is a very noticeable improvement - the boominess that the ZS3 had is now gone, upper mids are less recessed, and the treble is sparkly and clear. They kind of remind me of an improved ATR, but I need to A/B them with the ATR to verify. Synthesizers, pianos, & guitars sound great.

It's tuned much more towards neutral with the mods, but there's still plenty of bass when called upon. It just isn't boomy and muddy like it was stock. Don't get me wrong, I think the ZS3 is a pretty good in-ear (especially for bassheads). I just know a lot of people are turned off by its overpowering bass that dominates the whole listening experience. This mod corrects that.

It's up to you if you remove the foam yet put the red screen back, or remove both the foam and the red screen. It's easy enough to try it both ways and see which you like better. I settled on removing both after trying it both ways. Just keep an eye on ear wax buildup inside the nozzle if you run with no red screen (remove ear tip every once in a while and carefully clean out any funk).

The mod is very easy, takes less than 30 seconds total, and is totally reversible.

You use the sewing needle (or small straightened paper clip) for removing both the red screen and the black foam. Gently pry the edge of the red screen using the needle and it will pop right up. It's just held on by a ring of sticky adhesive around the edge. I stuck mine to a piece of wax paper to save for future keeping, as it sticks right back onto the end of the ZS3 nozzle if you ever need to put the red screen back (instead of wax paper, you could use anything non-stick - plastic wrap, sandwich baggie, or the slick paper backing from a peeled-off sticker or vinyl graphics.

Here's photos of the red screen so you know what to expect:

The following interior diagram will show you everything that you need to know (you don't actually open the shell for the foam mod - the interior diagram is just to illustrate where the foam is located):

UPDATE: I found a camera lens and settings that would allow me to get a good shot of the foam. It's impossible to gauge the depth in this photo, but that foam is located about 1/4" down inside the nozzle:

Here's what the piece of foam looks like after you've removed it with the needle (it gets more compressed once inside the plastic tube):

Also, while you're at it you may as well use the sewing needle to verify that the vent hole is open and not blocked. Just poke it with the sewing needle (or the tip of a thumbtack) and make sure it's not blocked with glue.

One more thing - even if you don't plan on removing the foam, I would strongly recommend that you at least peek under the red screens of your ZS3. Something that has always bothered me about 1 of my pairs of my ZS3 is that 1 side never sounded quite right. Well, low and behold I found that the foam on the 'never quite right' side was not even in the plastic tube, but just floating around freely inside the nozzle directly under the red screen. So at a minimum, looking under the red screens will allow you to make sure both of your foam pieces are inserted properly into the ends of the plastic nozzle. There have been reports of sound mismatches on 1 side. Early batches of the ZS3 had a crushed sound tube. Those were recalled a long time ago, so if you have a relatively recent ZS3 and you have something odd going on with 1 side, it could be that the foam isn't situated in the tube properly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Slater

P.S. - To the advanced IEM builders/modders out there, as you can see from the exploded diagram this would be an excellent host for turning into a hybrid DD + BA. The shell is easy to open, it's comfortable as heck, and there's plenty of room inside for a crossover in the shell & a BA driver inside the nozzle tube. Looking at the above photo, it almost looks as if KZ was planning that all along, and it wouldn't surprise me if a "ZS4" comes out as a dual hybrid using this same shell as they already have the shell tooling. Also, it would be easy to swap out the plastic tube for a copper one, as the plastic is extremely thin (it looks exactly like a piece of heat shrink tubing that hasn't been heated/shrunk; or it could also be a piece of drinking straw). It's that thin & flimsy.

This made me more excited to get my hands on the zs3 because I really love the design. That's actually one of my worry that the zs3 might be to boomy and dark for my taste as I am not a basshead. I really prefer clarity and sparkly details with just right amount of bass. Will definitely try this mod once I received my zs3. Thanks a lot man.,you're great :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #23,350 of 63,918
This made me more excited to get my hands on the zs3 because I really love the design. That's actually one of my worry that the zs3 might be to boomy and dark for my taste as I am not a basshead. I really prefer clarity and sparkly details with just right amount of bass. Will definitely try this mod once I received my zs3. Thanks a lot man.,you're great :)

Some ZS3 (like mine) don't have that piece of foam in the nozzle.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #23,351 of 63,918
Deffo gonna try that on my ZS3s....

Boy, I finally got my ATEs.... not very good. Or maybe I just need to spend more time with them... very very very dark and muddy... ?

On the positive side, the new ZS5 cable and foams was a big treat on the commute today! Deffo a big upgrade to the stock vers.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #23,352 of 63,918
All the real Comply I've ever tried had slower rebounding foam, allowing for a deeper insertion and better isolation. This same feature makes them remarkably uncomfortable for me for long-term wear however. The generic foams found on ali are made of a faster rebounding foam - they grow back to their original size rapidly, making especially deep insertion difficult, but due to the same they are far more comfortable imo. Not sure about sound differences, but the chi-foams do a fine job of taming the highs.

Thanks for your insights. I haven't tried foam tips yet. I might buy Comply tips if I fall in love with these Aliexpress tips. Comply tips are too pricey for me. Almost half of the price of the ZS6 for just 3 pairs.

On another note, when I read about foam tips on the internet, they sound too good to be true. I hope they are, though.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #23,353 of 63,918
Some ZS3 (like mine) don't have that piece of foam in the nozzle.

And how does your zs3 sounds like without that foam in the nozzle? Is it still too bassy / dark? I just ordered mine a week ago and will definitely will try the mod is there's a foam and red screen on the nozzle as I prefer clarity and sparkly (not too bright though) sound on iems.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #23,354 of 63,918
And how does your zs3 sounds like without that foam in the nozzle? Is it still too bassy / dark? I just ordered mine a week ago and will definitely will try the mod is there's a foam and red screen on the nozzle as I prefer clarity and sparkly (not too bright though) sound on iems.

I don't use it quite a lot, because of the sound. Too dark for me, but it has a larger "image" than KZ ATE although.The fit in my ears is great.

PS: i removed the red screen.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #23,355 of 63,918
I don't use it quite a lot, because of the sound. Too dark for me, but it has a larger "image" than KZ ATE although.The fit in my ears is great.

PS: i removed the red screen.

Still too dark even without the black foam and red screen? Yeah, i've read that fit is really great for most users and the design is great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back