Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 29, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #22,381 of 64,160
lol ...

In audio, its extremely dependent on the sound signature one prefers and its also highly dependent on the sound perception of the individual.

Can't really say which is really better as some really like the SE215. But those are really long in the tooth already. The last time I tried one was maybe 5 years ago, so my memory is a little vague at best.
The isolation as far as I remember for them were excellent.

But the ZS5 is definitely more capable in the retrieval of detail and cleaniness and tightness of its bass output. Heck, I may say my US$20/- CI880's sound better to my ears than the SE215, well, as least what my memory serves me and my preferences in sound signature prioritizes.

Its how things have progressed over the past 5 years or more when it comes to portable hi-fi.

I'm quite sure highly rated ones ( regardless of brand) that cost under US$60/- now would easily have crossed the US$250/- mark just 4 years or so ago from the established names.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #22,385 of 64,160
Oh no, QC issues again it seems.
Crossed fingers that my ZS6 is good, I was really hyped that it would be my top currently owned IEM.
So far Hybrid urbanfuns take the spot.

On another note, I am kinda getting used to my ZS5 but! Cymbals still pierce my brain and sometimes vocals sound artificial, when it comes to classical music or anything with no cymbals involved they are actually really good, great soundstage.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #22,386 of 64,160
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #22,389 of 64,160
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, though have been reading for the last... 8 years?

anyway, I wanted to post here to ask for advice on EQ for the KZ ZS5.

I picked up the ZS3, ZST Pro, and ZS5 recently, and found the ZS5 the hardest to EQ. I'm thinking that the 2×BA drivers don't respond very well to EQ corrections, and it's a broad band of frequencies that bother me.

I use an iPod Touch 6th Gen 32gb, running the Golden Ears Accudio Pro app (unfortunately it's been pulled from the store and GoldenEars hasn't been functioning for a while... I'm quite out of date), no external amping.

My main earpiece previously was the TTPod T2, and so far the most balanced budget earphone I've had so far is the SoundMagic E30, which I consider relatively flat with a warm low end and a tad bit too long an LF decay.

my adjustments on the TTPod T2:

Gain | Bandwidth | Frequency
-6.0 | 0.15 | 8350
-5.0 | 0.15 | 3000
-3.0 | 0.15 | 770
-4.0 | 3.60 | 200
-4.0 | 3.60 | 20

I don't aim for true Hi-Fi flatness, just want to pull our offending frequencies that are overpowering. I generally don't venture past 80USD as a price point for earphones, so I'd say I'm a Budget-Fi Guy. Hence, KZ.

Anyway, so I've read posts on the measurement graphs of the ZS5 and have tried several adjustments, but eventually ended up just going with:

-3.0 | 5.0 | 16000
-10.0 | 0.5 | 10700

this works for now, but when checking against my soundcheck songs, I do still get high-hat sounds that cut through terribly.

does anyone else find the BA drivers to be too sibilant and overly bright? I was confused because I read other reviews and opinions that said the ZS5 improved the sibilance from the ZSTs, which can't be right. A/Bing the two, I cannot help but find the ZS5 to be almost offensively bright without EQ.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #22,390 of 64,160
ZS6 is indeed heavier however not really noticeable (well, I don't really have issues with my Audeze LCD-X's weight though, so individual people's mileage may vary - nonetheless I highly doubt that anyone will have issues with the ZS6's weight.). The metal shells feel a lot more premium though and are quite excellent when it comes to build quality.
Although the shape seems to be similar, the ZS6's shells feel a bit "sharper" and edgier in one's ears (not that its corners are any sharper than the ZS5's, but the shape is just more noticeable to me).

Cannot comment about the "new" ZS5, but have the "old" one on hand. ZS6's upper treble spike aside, its midrange linearity has somewhat improved (as you can also see on the comparative FR measurement). Bass seems a tad tighter and a bit more defined (quantity is the same). Not a large difference at all though, which also goes for the midrange that seems to resolve just slightly better.
I have to say, what is it that intrigues you to purchase something so low down the price bracket when you sport a pair of LCD-Xs?

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #22,392 of 64,160
Anyway, so I've read posts on the measurement graphs of the ZS5 and have tried several adjustments, but eventually ended up just going with:

-3.0 | 5.0 | 16000
-10.0 | 0.5 | 10700

this works for now, but when checking against my soundcheck songs, I do still get high-hat sounds that cut through terribly.
So I'm just an amateur as far as EQ goes but here's a few thoughts:

Stuff going on that high tends to relate more to overtones than fundamentals - try adding some shifts in fundamental ranges too.
I would tend to think to look around 3-5kHz for high hats and 5-8kHz for sibilance.
Based on the TTPod T2 comments, I would guess you might want to try messing around in the 5kHz range.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #22,393 of 64,160
How do you find the Benjies? Thinking of getting one

First let me apologize for any fat finger typos that appear! Obviously on my iPhone at 5:00AM or maybe not!

The T6 and S5 are so close in SS it is very hard discerning which is better, S5 is smaller and lighter but does not offer gapless but then again it's only half the price of the T6 but to answer your question I really like both my S5 and T6. Battery life rocks as well. Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #22,394 of 64,160
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, though have been reading for the last... 8 years?

anyway, I wanted to post here to ask for advice on EQ for the KZ ZS5.

I picked up the ZS3, ZST Pro, and ZS5 recently, and found the ZS5 the hardest to EQ. I'm thinking that the 2×BA drivers don't respond very well to EQ corrections, and it's a broad band of frequencies that bother me.

I use an iPod Touch 6th Gen 32gb, running the Golden Ears Accudio Pro app (unfortunately it's been pulled from the store and GoldenEars hasn't been functioning for a while... I'm quite out of date), no external amping.

My main earpiece previously was the TTPod T2, and so far the most balanced budget earphone I've had so far is the SoundMagic E30, which I consider relatively flat with a warm low end and a tad bit too long an LF decay.

my adjustments on the TTPod T2:

-6.0 | 0.15 | 8350
-5.0 | 0.15 | 3000
-3.0 | 0.15 | 770
-4.0 | 3.60 | 200
-4.0 | 3.60 | 20

I don't aim for true Hi-Fi flatness, just want to pull our offending frequencies that are overpowering. I generally don't venture past 80USD as a price point for earphones, so I'd say I'm a Budget-Fi Guy. Hence, KZ.

-3.0 | 5.0 | 16000
-10.0 | 0.5 | 10700

does anyone else find the BA drivers to be too sibilant and overly bright? I was confused because I read other reviews and opinions that said the ZS5 improved the sibilance from the ZSTs, which can't be right. A/Bing the two, I cannot help but find the ZS5 to be almost offensively bright without EQ.

From my experience, modding the ZS5 is far more efficient than EQ'ing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back