Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #22,366 of 64,125
Oh please... like someone can think that with 8$, for an upgrade KZ cable, we can buy something with electrical characteristics good as the ones that cost a bunch of ZS6 :laughing:

The next KZ cable is made of platinum ? :hushed:

Just something better than the stock one, for microphonics and esthetic value, it's enough, at that price.

Everything must be proportioned. Sources, transducers... and cables.
I do agree

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #22,367 of 64,125
Searching around i have see something that it could be related. Here, this guy write that the ZS5 have a maximum input power of 109 mW, and the ZS6 of 75 mW.
If this is true, from a tecnical point of view they need to be fed with less power.
Maximum power isn't how much they need to be fed - "how much they need to be fed" is a matter of sensitivity.
(and impedance, both because of how it effects sensitivity specced in dB/mW, and because of how it loads the source - when sensitivity is specced in dB/V only the source loading applies though, it doesn't directly influence the sensitivity number as specced)

No idea where those numbers came from either - KZ's specs that are posted elsewhere put the ZS5 at a max power dissipation of 10mW and I don't see a maximum power dissipation number on the ZS6.

Mind you trying to dump 100mW into either would be near instant hearing damage loud (around 126dB).

But those power dissipation numbers are really supposed to be about how much power something can handle without distorting, and with no info on what that max power means in relation to a distortion value, it's pretty meaningless.

And if you wanted to assume those numbers aren't just random and they did pick a distortion value and stick to it (and the numbers themselves... never seen them before...), it would mean that the ZS6 can "only" reach 124dB before distorting, rather than 126dB for the ZS5 - probably not at all relevant unless you're listening to absurdly high DR recordings at excessively high volume.

PS: They need amping not so much for power but due to current concerns, not to mention such low impedance puts huge strain on the source.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #22,368 of 64,125
Maximum power isn't how much they need to be fed - "how much they need to be fed" is a matter of sensitivity.
I know, but we was talking about distortion, not volume. I was just saying that could be a hint, but who even knows if those numbers are right or some random specs. I have just found them and they also appear too much to me.

Ok... next time it's better not to link unreliable sources, sorry :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #22,369 of 64,125
I know, but we was talking about distortion, not volume. I was just saying that could be a hint, but who even knows if that numbers are right or some random specs. I have just found them and they also appear too much to me.

Ok... next time it's better not to link unreliable sources, sorry :sweat_smile:
Oh no, more information is better, I'm just trying to explain what the numbers might mean, and why to be cautious about them :wink:

For example, if KZ's specs are at 0.1% distortion vs 1% distortion... well hey, those are gonna be some very different numbers.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #22,370 of 64,125
and with no info on what that max power means in relation to a distortion value, it's pretty meaningless.
I'm just trying to explain what the numbers might mean, and why to be cautious about them :wink:

For example, if KZ's specs are at 0.1% distortion vs 1% distortion... well hey, those are gonna be some very different numbers.
:worried:
...you are right, thanks :sweat_smile:

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #22,371 of 64,125
On a more useful note towards that conversation at hand, instead of just a technical memo...

The ZS6 will probably play nicer with sources on the power front due to the crossover (impedance matching in relation to power), but that could mean playing less nice on the response side (impedance matching in relation to frequency response). :shrug:

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #22,373 of 64,125
I got this KZ cable today. It fits ZS5 very well. The build is very good. The Y split and 3.5mm jack are big with good quality.

But it's very heavy, weight 20g compare to 12g of original ZS5 silver cable. And with ZS6, the total will probably be 40g.

Nice cables! How's the build quality like? Is the plastic strain relief on the 3.5mm plug well made?

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #22,374 of 64,125
Searching around i have see something that it could be related. Here, this guy write that the ZS5 have a maximum input power of 109 mW, and the ZS6 of 75 mW.
If this is true, from a tecnical point of view they need to be fed with less power.
Skimming through this, there were a few oddities that stood out to me - mostly just strange funny things:

KZ ZS3 - Twin dynamic drivers IEM
:thinking:
ZS5:
Driver Diameter: 10mm woofer, 6.4mm midrange, Star Micronics 1205 BA tweeter and Knowles 30095 BA
Not a Knowles, clearly KZ branded...
ZS6:
Transducers: Balanced Armature / Dynamic ("sandwiched" woofer and midrange in a single unit made by Kinera/Yutai Electronics)
Drivers: 10mm dynamic woofer and 6mm midrange, Star Micronics 1206 BA tweeter
Interesting :thinking:

But I'm getting side tracked with technicalities when what I really wanted to share was this:
Star Micronics is a world-wide leader in providing the receipt printer and POS printer you need for all point of sale retail applications.
A global manufacturer of POS hardware, Star Micronics has been supporting retailers for over 30 years to deliver efficient, reliable store solutions.
On January 1, 2014, Star Micronics, Co., Ltd. transferred its micro audio components business to Foster Electric Company Limited.
:thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #22,379 of 64,125
considering it has screws instead of glue on the zs6, i suppose someone can open it without ripping it apart.
Oooo, and make a diagram of the pieces. Someone should do that. :D

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #22,380 of 64,125
These kind of posts are the reason that head Fi is just such an amazing resource for sound geeks like us. I'm waiting for my Zs6,s I have to say I'm really interested to hear how good these are for the money at best what are they comparable to? Sure SE 215? Or better some say up to 200+ in value but I'm not a believer

such an insult to compare zs6 with 215.

zs5 with everything stock alone can put 315 and 215 to the bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back