Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #45,691 of 63,958
Haha it was like $16 with the coupon and next day shipping . I just hope it's a decent cable.

It will be. I needed one with no ear guides because it will be for these.

HTB1rBjkXi_1gK0jSZFqq6ApaXXar.jpg

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #45,692 of 63,958
It will be. I needed one with no ear guides because it will be for these.

HTB1rBjkXi_1gK0jSZFqq6ApaXXar.jpg

So I finally figured out the "B" in MB stands for Buds:rolling_eyes::scream::grin:

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #45,693 of 63,958
So I finally figured out the "B" in MB stands for Buds:rolling_eyes::scream::grin:

Yes, more and more I like them better than iems... the openess, the soundstage, and contrary to popular belief they do have bass and sub bass. It's all a matter of how you fit them and what foams you use.. or don't use.

Just like with iems or certain styles of iems they might not work for every size ear.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #45,694 of 63,958
Ed Zachery:beerchug:

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #45,695 of 63,958
Late to the party regarding the KZ ZSE ... finally got them and pretty much only ordered them for the 'collection' :wink: and I like that shade of turquoise

Here's a question: Anyone else switches L/R buds to be able to wear them 'over ear' ... I get much better fit / better seal / better sound this way ...
............kzzse.jpg

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #45,696 of 63,958
Yes, more and more I like them better than iems... the openess, the soundstage, and contrary to popular belief they do have bass and sub bass. It's all a matter of how you fit them and what foams you use.. or don't use.

Just like with iems or certain styles of iems they might not work for every size ear.
My bud exploration came to a halt, when I realized that I cannot stand the foam and could not find suitable silicone rings :frowning2:

Any advice? (I got Y...o BK2)

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #45,697 of 63,958
My bud exploration came to a halt, when I realized that I cannot stand the foam and could not find suitable silicone rings :frowning2:

Any advice? (I got Y...o BK2)

Silicone rings do not work for me at all... seems to ruin the sound. I have found that some foams feel nicer, smoother, less itchy than others but I know what you mean. You could be sensitive to whatever chemicals go into the process of making them. Have you tried gently washing them? Not in the machine :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #45,698 of 63,958
Silicone rings do not work for me at all... seems to ruin the sound. I have found that some foams feel nicer, smoother, less itchy than others but I know what you mean. You could be sensitive to whatever chemicals go into the process of making them. Have you tried gently washing them? Not in the machine :)
No direct allergies so far :)
But I really can't stand the feeling of the foam rings that came with the buds in my ears (knowing that the chemicals in cheap polyurethanes can be quite bad also does not help).

Any good foams to recomend and any good silicone rings to try (I could not find much in Ali not knowing what to find exactly)?

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #45,699 of 63,958
But I really can't stand the feeling of the foam rings that came with the buds in my ears (knowing that the chemicals in cheap polyurethanes can be quite bad also does not help).

Any good foams to recomend and any good silicone rings to try (I could not find much in Ali not knowing what to find exactly)?

Maybe you should ask in the Earbuds Roundup thread. I am no expert but there are a few in that thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2905#post-15056849

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #45,700 of 63,958

Now you and MB may think Poddy's crazy (my close friends already know) but I have a friend back in Texas who had the same issue but loved his Monk's so much he used an industrial type tape and made a dot to cover the holes on the face, taped up his strain relief and entry and believe it or not he dips them in hot wax/paraffin like 2 maybe three times until they are smooth and it seems to work for him well (I mean after he pulls the tape back off):rolling_eyes: Of course with anything in this hobby YMMV!

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #45,701 of 63,958
Now you and MB may think Poddy's crazy (my close friends already know) but I have a friend back in Texas who had the same issue but loved his Monk's so much he used an industrial type tape and made a dot to cover the holes on the face, taped up his strain relief and entry and believe it or not he dips them in hot wax/paraffin like 2 maybe three times until they are smooth and it seems to work for him well (I mean after he pulls the tape back off):rolling_eyes: Of course with anything in this hobby YMMV!

Now, that is just weird. I am surprised that the heat did not kill the drivers.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #45,702 of 63,958
He dips them fast like a candle maker and the thin coat dries fast and then he re-coats, seems to work for him!

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #45,704 of 63,958

Wait, what? He dips the foam earbud covers in wax? Or the ear bud? What does that accomplish? Does it protect his skin from chemicals?

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #45,705 of 63,958
Personally, I think it’s going to be awfully hard to top the ZS10 Pro by just adding 1 more BA driver to this “Terminator” model (assuming the tuning is basically the same).

ZS10 Pro = 1DD + 4BA
Terminator = 1DD + 5BA

I sure hope it’s not just a moar drivers is moar better money grab. KZ seems to be doing a lot of that lately, and it’s sad to see people get sucked into that mindset. It’s not like it’s Intel processor cores.

Personally, I’d like to see a nice single dynamic from them (maybe a large diameter beryllium or DLC coated). It would be a breath of fresh air in this ocean of hybrids.
Totally agree! ZS10 Pro is phenomenal for the price, yet I balk at spending $80+ CDN on the AS 12. I can't justify the cost for a bigger shellsize which probably won't fit me comfortably and is just a set with an extra ba. Love the thought of a DLC dynamic totally. I already have Moondrop KPE and TFZ NO.3 is almost here. I think it would be cool to see what KZ could pull off with that kind of driver, for around $50-65. If they came out with such a set, with the ZSN/ZSN PRO/ZS10 PRO shell for comfort/ergonomics, I'd jump all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back