Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #41,281 of 64,160
I just received CCA C16 !

I burn then the time that I wait an other package ( vivo next dual display ) and after I say all to you

But
Exactly same package than C10
Same cable too
Starline tips
As10 house

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #41,282 of 64,160
I just received CCA C16 !

I burn then the time that I wait an other package ( vivo next dual display ) and after I say all to you

But
Exactly same package than C10
Same cable too
Starline tips
As10 house
AS10 is plastic.
Even "very similar" to ZSN in housing CCA10 fits noticeably different due to a slightly different nozzle design (for me ZSN fits amazingly, and CCA C10 - just OK).

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #41,283 of 64,160
AS10 is plastic.
Even "very similar" to ZSN in housing CCA10 fits noticeably different due to a slightly different nozzle design (for me ZSN fits amazingly, and CCA C10 - just OK).
I had to mess around quite a bit before I could get C10 to fit right. Took going down a halfsize in tip. Thankfully JVC spiral dots come in halfsizes. I would not have been able to make c10 my number one IEM without them.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #41,284 of 64,160

I put on foam tips, still using the crappy stock cable... A lot closer to original now, but unlike original (I tried foam tips the other week, kinda liked the sparkle a lot more with the starline tips) the sound's really opened up and a lot softer. Overall bigger soundstage I think, and it helped bring back some of that sweet, sweet separation. I like the sound of these again. I'll continue to burn these in and hope for the best. I'll come back when I get some micropore on the filter, hope that works well. :fingers_crossed:

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #41,285 of 64,160
AS10 is plastic.

Here the backplate is in metal. The house exactly the same thing !

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #41,286 of 64,160
I had to mess around quite a bit before I could get C10 to fit right. Took going down a halfsize in tip. Thankfully JVC spiral dots come in halfsizes. I would not have been able to make c10 my number one IEM without them.
Yes, I found Spiral Dots to fit the best. They are my default tips, especially if the IEM has short nozzles.

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #41,288 of 64,160
Hey everyone,

A few months ago I got my first KZ IEM's the ED16 and I've been very happy with it. The only critique I have is that the cable is not best.
I'd like to buy a new cable that would be a upgrade in durability, looks, and possible sound quality. The stock cable I can then keep in case the upgraded cable ever stops working properly.

I've been looking on Ali and have seen 3 KZ cables.

1. Silver one. This one is very thin, I've heard people talking about the color oxidizes. Around 5,- eur and does not look like a big upgrade.
2. 8 Core silver cable. It's thick and looks durable, people give it good reviews. Downside for me personally is that is does not have a L type plug on the end, it's a straight plug which I don't like.
3. 8 Core silver/coper cable. A bit thinner, I like this one the best. Still no L-plug.

Can anyone recommend me a nice durable cable that is compatible with the ED16, with a L type plug? I've seen some nice cables from TRN too, but those don't have a L-plug either.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #41,289 of 64,160
After few hours for burn, my first impression on the C16.

They are heavy, when I take them in my hands they are very heavy comparing to other

The sound seems balanced, and tend to neutral. The treble seems slightly too elevated and, I think, there there will be the most default of this iem for few. They think to me to the KC2 signature with a bit more treble.
I ear that with battery which is, for some track, too agressive

The bass is very controlled and balanced, clearly at same line than medium. Separation of instruments are excellent too

The clarity is very excellent, voice are super clear and intelligible.

The C16 are not very airy. Less than M6 it's sure

It's all for the moment

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #41,291 of 64,160
Jan 28, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #41,292 of 64,160
Here the backplate is in metal. The house exactly the same thing !
Does CCA 16 have the same tip fit as AS 10 by "three notches" and no mesh at the outside of the nozzle opening? Can they be called " the same"?

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #41,293 of 64,160
I just performed the ZS7 mod as recommended by @Slater. You're not kidding that there's a cavern beneath the 2-pin connector. To prevent shorts, I taped up the wires soldered in series and tucked them under the crossover, nestled everything inside that cavity, and gently put the 2-pin connector on top. Cleaned up the wiring to make sure the DD had breathing room as well, but maybe not as pretty as Slater's work (meh, it's going to be underneath a casing anyway).

Retesting everything and the A/B difference is...interesting. Granted, this is a brand-new pair and my ears are still adapting to the signature, but I think that haphazardly-placed crossover was choking airspace behind the DD. Bass quantity has gone up and I feel like things are generally airier in comparison. Today's home commute should help me figure out if the mod affected isolation, but if you're comfortable with tiny wires and don't have jittery fingers, I don't see why you wouldn't give it a shot.

Thanks again, Slater. Good observation. Baffles me why they just wrapped up all the slack and shoved it underneath the crossover when there was so much room in the corner.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #41,294 of 64,160
Does CCA 16 have the same tip fit as AS 10 by "three notches" and no mesh at the outside of the nozzle opening? Can they be called " the same"?

Exactly the same thing

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #41,295 of 64,160
I just performed the ZS7 mod as recommended by @Slater. You're not kidding that there's a cavern beneath the 2-pin connector. To prevent shorts, I taped up the wires soldered in series and tucked them under the crossover, nestled everything inside that cavity, and gently put the 2-pin connector on top. Cleaned up the wiring to make sure the DD had breathing room as well, but maybe not as pretty as Slater's work (meh, it's going to be underneath a casing anyway).

Retesting everything and the A/B difference is...interesting. Granted, this is a brand-new pair and my ears are still adapting to the signature, but I think that haphazardly-placed crossover was choking airspace behind the DD. Bass quantity has gone up and I feel like things are generally airier in comparison. Today's home commute should help me figure out if the mod affected isolation, but if you're comfortable with tiny wires and don't have jittery fingers, I don't see why you wouldn't give it a shot.

Thanks again, Slater. Good observation. Baffles me why they just wrapped up all the slack and shoved it underneath the crossover when there was so much room in the corner.

Glad it went smoothly for you! Now that you’ve seen how much room is in that cavern, don’t you agree that it was meant to be there for some purpose?

Also, I forgot to clarify 2 things to anyone planning to attempt this:

1. The screws are T5 Torx. Same exact screws as the ZS6. NOT the same as the ZSN’s pentabit screws. Also, there’s only 2 screws to remove, as the 3rd is strictly cosmetic (ie fake). The correct screws to remove are the 2 screws by the 2-pin plug, NOT the screw by the nozzle.

2. You must be sure to put the 2-pin jacks back in the correct direction. Note that one side is rounded, and the other side is flat. The ROUNDED side points AWAY from the fake screw. The FLAT side points TOWARDS the fake screw.

If you put the 2-pin sockets back haphazardly, you risk making your ZS7 out of phase!

Here’s a crude drawing (of the R IEM) showing the screws as well as the proper orientation of the 2-pin socket. Note the L side will be a mirror image of the below drawing. The same rules apply (ie the fake screw is always towards the nozzle, rounded end of socket always points away from the nozzle, etc).

6EBED869-B90F-4A09-96C1-5804F2A08EB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back