Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #41,311 of 64,379
F24680C7-F1FD-4186-B5A7-421D934816F4.jpeg

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #41,312 of 64,379
Agreed. There's some albums that just doesn't sound right. These won't fix them, but will allow you to hear how badly they're recorded. Master recordings that seems to be using low quality mp3 files

Your music is what you make of it.

For me, music—whatever the genre or quality—taps into wellsprings of emotions and memories.

My collection of 78 rpm Victor records that I inherited from my father may sound horrendous by anybody’s standards when played in a high-end system but to me they provide vivid, holographic images of brisk early mornings and lazy afternoons listening with him that are so clear, detailed and lifelike and that make them absolutely the world’s best recordings.

That Best of Blue Magic R&B album may cause snickers among millennials but it contains the greatest love ballads of all time because my husband and I had our first dance, and second, and third, to those songs.

And those mp3s of the cassette tape compilations I’ve played for my children when they were babies held in my arms while I sang or hummed along, and that I still regularly listen to, before with the ATE and now with the C10, with no discernible difference in quality, are unquestionably the world’s best digital music files.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #41,313 of 64,379
That’s like being annoyed that a VHS movie that was recorded on a potato quality camera back in 1982 looks bad on your 4K ultra high definition TV.

What a poor quality TV set! Oh wait...

This is sooooo true, bad recording means bad recording, if an iem reveal all the details of that bad recording, its not iem's fault.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #41,314 of 64,379
I couldn’t stand the idea that my zs6 are now laying around without being used. So I did another experiment to get them good enough to be used without an equalizer. I did al the Slater mods, but wasn't satisfied. Now I tried something else. I put two pieces of very small foam in the barrels of the two BA drivers. After that I put a small (you have to experiment with the size) piece of foam (used the foam that’s in the bottom of a Spyderco knife box) in the Chinese Comply tips. The combination of the two is just enough to dim the treble without losing the sparkle and it has no effect on the bass. I used a toothpick to put the very small foam pieces in the BA drivers. Surprisingly this combi works (for me) so I thought, maybe it’s worth sharing.

Nice job!

You’re right; the ‘foam mod’ is very effective at dampening sibilance and overly sharp treble. Much moreso than trying to use ear tips or micropore tape to deal with it.

The foam from the $1.50 KZ plastic storage cases works extremely well too (shown on the ZST when it was originally released):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1167#post-13480650

The ZST was KZs first foray into hybrid IEMs, and they used the 30095 they seem to love so much. But it’s treble was just too piercing for some (myself included)

As you found, the mod works on other BAs (ZS6 is a great candidate). The trick is getting the right size foam piece. Too small and it could fall out or it won’t even really do anything to the sound. Too big and it will be too dense, choking out the BA.

And then when you dial in just the right Goldilocks size, there’s the challenge of ensuring you cut an identical sized piece for the other BA so the treble is consistent on each side.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #41,315 of 64,379
I don’t own the ZS10, so I’ve never heard it myself. But I see an awful lot of people mention that something just ‘doesn’t sound right’ with it.

My dream come true would to have easy access to a local audiophile mega shop like e-earphones in Japan.

You could spend a few days (or weeks) trying dozens of pieces of gear, and walk out with ONE you’re absolutely in love with.

Unfortunately, 99% of us don’t have that luxury, so we have to read impressions and order stuff to figure out if we like it or not. It’s expensive, inefficient, and wasteful to do it that way. And we end up with a drawer full of unwanted gear. But it’s the only option most of us have.

I've been to the Tokyo E-Earphone several times on my trips to Tokyo and I love it there. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. That's where I found the awesome Dynamic Motion DM200H which is my daily driver until today. I've not found any KZ IEMs that comes near the Dynamic Motion DM200H. Surprisingly the DM200H only has a single dynamic + a single BA in coaxial configuration that blows away many 5-6 drivers IEMs.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #41,316 of 64,379
I've been to the Tokyo E-Earphone several times on my trips to Tokyo and I love it there. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. That's where I found the awesome Dynamic Motion DM200H which is my daily driver until today. I've not found any KZ IEMs that comes near the Dynamic Motion DM200H. Surprisingly the DM200H only has a single dynamic + a single BA in coaxial configuration that blows away many 5-6 drivers IEMs.

Whoa, that's cool. I love a good coaxial speaker for coherency and dispersion matching in speakers (I have some tannoys, KEF and BMS). This was the first I have seen a DD + BA earphone use it (i know there are DD+DD like this). Are there any others? I know this is probably not the right thread.

41F5OkuUOgL.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #41,317 of 64,379
Attached is the ZS7 graph if anyone is interested.

Take it for a grain of salt. I don’t have my imm6 microphone calibration set up properly yet, nor do I have my coupler dialed in just right. I don’t even use a vinyl tube coupler like most people, but rather a cut down syringe.

I need to spend some serious time getting my rig in order. For example, on my current setup, sub bass has always measured more rolled off than it actually is in real life. So please keep that in mind. Don’t compare my ZS7 graph to anyone else’s graph, or make any buying decisions based on my graph.

The ZS7 has deeeeeep sub bass extension - bassheads will like it for sure.

On a positive note, my R and L channels are almost perfectly matched. They are within 0.5dB or less of one another. I was very impressed with the consistency of the channel matching!

Remember, don’t compare my ZS7 graph to anyone else’s graph, or make any buying decisions based on my graph.
No worries!...your graph looks good! :point_left::smile:

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #41,318 of 64,379
Whoa, that's cool. I love a good coaxial speaker for coherency and dispersion matching in speakers (I have some tannoys, KEF and BMS). This was the first I have seen a DD + BA earphone use it (i know there are DD+DD like this). Are there any others? I know this is probably not the right thread.

41F5OkuUOgL.jpg
There’s no other IEMs that I know with coaxial DD + BA configuration. Yes you’re right, this is off topic for this thread but you may PM me if you need more info.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #41,320 of 64,379
Did some Slaterian organizing in my zs7 housing. Nice and clean now, crossover tucked away in a little foamy bedroom. Do I hear an improvement in the bass? Probably it’s suggestion, but you never know. Found the loose wire also.

How did your small capacitors look? Some of them are soldered crooked, like in this photo:

544E97A0-F298-45D8-BEEE-B49F7C86679B.jpeg

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #41,321 of 64,379
I don’t own the ZS10, so I’ve never heard it myself. But I see an awful lot of people mention that something just ‘doesn’t sound right’ with it.
I guess someone forget to tell me how bad the ZS10 was before I bought it... they had plenty of warning. Oh well, I'll let others know when they post wanting to buy it. :wink:

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #41,325 of 64,379
I guess someone forget to tell me how bad the ZS10 was before I bought it... they had plenty of warning. Oh well, I'll let others know when they post wanting to buy it. :wink:

I like my ZS10. Before I ordered mine, I had listened to several albums with my husband's pair. I then wanted my own.. We all hear differently, have different sources etc. I won't apologize for liking them:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back