Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #41,251 of 64,000
Hey guys, say hello to your newest brazillian friend that finally created a account!

Absolutely love my KZ ZSN, very balanced and the fit is perfect.Got the all black version.Compared to the ED16 I like the ZSN a lot better.Haven't had a lot of time with them (just got Koss ksc 75's which have gotten the most use, can't take them off ), but what I have heard has been great.
Interesting, can you compare their signature?

I'm a bit late to the party still having the old but gold ED16 as my daily driver thanks to the guy who shared that incredible deal on penonaudio (Thanks!) and wow, they have some really big soundstage and great instrument separation, night and day difference coming from the ES4 that was very intimate and congested (stock tips on both). Signature wise its slighty v-shaped to my ears so its actually good, deep bass and delicate & extended treble, I'm very happy with it but you guys know, still very excited to test new ones (Purple ZSN & IM1 comming) :L3000:

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #41,253 of 64,000
Is there a list of upgrade cables for zs6/zs7?

@hakuzen maintains a fairly comprehensive list, including impedance values.

Keep in mind there’s dozens of 3rd party cables (with new ones being added every day), including ones that cable makers will custom make with 0.75mm 2-pin connectors. So it’s hard if not impossible to have a list of EVERY KZ-compatible cable.

But I’m sure you can find something worthwhile from hakuzen’s list :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #41,254 of 64,000
So I received the ZS7, and had a chance to examine the 'loose wire not connected to anything'.

The 'loose' wires are simply part of 2 BA drivers wired together in series. The way KZ soldered the 2 wires together was not the way I would do it per se, as the drivers are literally right next to one another. All they needed to do was use 1 wire not 2, but from a strictly electrical standpoint the way they wired it up is perfectly acceptable.

Therefore, bottom line is there's nothing wrong with the ZS7, the wires are connected properly, and it’s by design. This is not an issue that should discourage anyone from the ZS7.

Now, I am a perfectionist. And since I had everything open anyways, I decided to make a few improvements and clean things up. This is certainly not required to own and enjoy the ZS7, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do it.

1. I wrapped the crossover board in Kapton tape, to protect the bare connections.
2. I put heat shrink tubing on the 'loose wire', to protect the bare (soldered) ends from contacting the crossover board or one of the other many solder connections inside the ZS7. You never know.

1.JPG

Next, there is a huge space next to the DD driver. You can see it in the top of this photo:

2.JPG

3. Well, the crossover board fits PERFECTLY in this space (oriented vertically). You can see it under the 2-pin socket in the below photo:

3.JPG

4. Finally, just some tidying up of the wire routing. The final result looks much better and more organized than the rats nest it came looking like stock.

Before (note this ‘before’ photo was borrowed from bisonicr):
795eff01.jpg

After:
4.JPG

I need to finish burn in and dedicate much more listening before I feel comfortable giving sonic impressions. But from what I heard OOTB yesterday (and assuming nothing changes with burn in), the ZS7 is likely the last <$100 I ever buy and I can finally change my profile pic lol.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #41,256 of 64,000
So I received the ZS7, and had a chance to examine the 'loose wire not connected to anything'.

The 'loose' wires are simply part of 2 BA drivers wired together in series. The way KZ soldered the 2 wires together was not the way I would do it per se, as the drivers are literally right next to one another. All they needed to do was use 1 wire not 2, but from a strictly electrical standpoint the way they wired it up is perfectly acceptable.

Therefore, bottom line is there's nothing wrong with the ZS7, the wires are connected properly, and it’s by design. This is not an issue that should discourage anyone from the ZS7.

Now, I am a perfectionist. And since I had everything open anyways, I decided to make a few improvements and clean things up. This is certainly not required to own and enjoy the ZS7, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do it.

1. I wrapped the crossover board in Kapton tape, to protect the bare connections.
2. I put heat shrink tubing on the 'loose wire', to protect the bare (soldered) ends from contacting the crossover board or one of the other many solder connections inside the ZS7. You never know.

Next, there is a huge space next to the DD driver. You can see it in the top of this photo:

3. Well, the crossover board fits PERFECTLY in this space (oriented vertically). You can see it under the 2-pin socket in the below photo:

4. Finally, just some tidying up of the wire routing. The final result looks much better and more organized than the rats nest it came looking like stock.

Before:

After:

I need to finish burn in and dedicate much more listening before I feel comfortable giving sonic impressions. But from what I heard OOTB yesterday (and assuming nothing changes with burn in), the ZS7 is likely the last <$100 I ever buy and I can finally change my profile pic lol.

I thought they were wired in a series but I wasn't positive. I had the flu when I opened mine and things just looked too crazy for me to comprehend lol! But that's good to know! Do you have driver flex on yours and did moving the board change or help in your experience?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #41,257 of 64,000

Before:

After:

Amazing job Slater, Maybe I’ll do the same, although the units are sounding great. For me the zs7 has anything I wish for. I use the stock cable, I am not convinced a more expensive cable sounds better. This zs7 is a little wonder for the money.
For me an iem has to stand the test of the song A New Day from Lee Ritenour album Wes Bound. This is a very complex song with lots of instruments that has to sound correct and the dynamics of this song are a challenge for the monitors.

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #41,258 of 64,000
I thought they were wired in a series but I wasn't positive. I had the flu when I opened mine and things just looked too crazy for me to comprehend lol! But that's good to know! Do you have driver flex on yours and did moving the board change or help in your experience?

I have a very minor amount of flex in my left side, but only when I insert the IEM extremely deep. If I do a normal insertion, or hold my mouth open while doing deep insertion it’s no problem.

Physically moving the board doesn’t affect the sound. It was just an OCD organizational thing.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #41,259 of 64,000
So how does the zs7 compare to things like moondrop Kanas pro or ibasso it01s or even fiio fh5. I appreciate that these are lot cheaper than those.

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #41,260 of 64,000

Before:

After:

fantastic work!
i saw that the "loose" wire was a soldering of two cables, it was intended. the drivers probably arrive with soldered wires at the operator, who solder them together (faster), instead of cutting one and trimming the other to be soldered to the near driver.
your shrink tubing of that solder avoids the risk of it touching any sensitive point.
the new location of the crossover is genial. now everything look cleaner and tidy. love your perfectionism!
glad you are enjoying them so much.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #41,261 of 64,000
It was just an OCD organizational thing
I’d do the same ..lol....looks much better now!

I’m really enjoying, C10! My favorite iem right now, I wanna listen to it constantly.

The .75 vs.78 thing was nice to read as I always wondered if they were interchangeable.

Has anybody tried the adapters....mmxc female to 2 pin male....small little things I refuse to buy the stumpy thing (mmx?) over a 2 pin as they just look like inviting a problem but the little adapters might be the way to go.???

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #41,262 of 64,000

Before:

After:

Wow, great post. I wonder if having the board to the side gives the DD a better chance to breathe, improving the sound. I'm currently awaiting the ZS7, AS10, C10, PT6 and balanced cables, to try with my FiiO X7II, really looking forward to it. Head-fi is such a dangerous place :^D

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #41,263 of 64,000

I see that your capacitor is also not soldered properly. I have yet to see an opened ZS7 with that cap soldered straight. At least yours seem to complete the circuit properly. Mine has the cap soldered wrong too and doesn't complete the circuit, wiring for BAs is also different from left to right :). These guys from KZ should focus more on soldering the parts right before adding more BAs and wires. Or maybe they are adding as many BAs as possible in hopes one will be soldered right to produce sound.

20190127_163939.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #41,264 of 64,000
Hey guys, say hello to your newest brazillian friend that finally created a account!

Interesting, can you compare their signature?

I'm a bit late to the party still having the old but gold ED16 as my daily driver thanks to the guy who shared that incredible deal on penonaudio (Thanks!) and wow, they have some really big soundstage and great instrument separation, night and day difference coming from the ES4 that was very intimate and congested (stock tips on both). Signature wise its slighty v-shaped to my ears so its actually good, deep bass and delicate & extended treble, I'm very happy with it but you guys know, still very excited to test new ones (Purple ZSN & IM1 comming) :L3000:
I'll do my best to compare them,the ZSN to my ears has a more balanced sound, with good separation and a more forward presentation, more treble but no sibilance. Soundstage is nice and wide and has that big sound like the ED16. Using stock tips and stock cables on both, the ZSN cable is so much nicer.Hope that helps

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #41,265 of 64,000
I see that your capacitor is also not soldered properly. I have yet to see an opened ZS7 with that cap soldered straight. At least yours seem to complete the circuit properly. Mine has the cap soldered wrong too and doesn't complete the circuit, wiring for BAs is also different from left to right :). These guys from KZ should focus more on soldering the parts right before adding more BAs and wires. Or maybe they are adding as many BAs as possible in hopes one will be soldered right to produce sound.

That stock photo was borrowed from bisonicr. And I agree, his capacitor isn’t soldered properly.

Someone was going to try and get a hold of him so he can resolder that capacitor. I hope they were able to!

Anyways, I was relieved to see that both of mine were soldered OK (bottom right):

19777420-9DCC-4859-9A08-8E0DFB69B812.jpeg

Luckily, my left and right sides were also wired the same as well! I think that’s why my ZS7 sounds so good (on initial listening).

I think the less than stellar impressions are due to wiring and/or capacitor problems.

I definitely agree; KZ (and other ChiFi companies) can definitely work harder on QC.

I don’t envy the companies though. Wiring this many drivers in a tiny IEM is a big challenge. And adding more and more drivers continuously increases the risk that something will be miswired or screwed up in some way.

That’s why I am cautious of these budget 12 and 16 driver IEMs coming out. Especially ones that don’t have removable backs. At least with removable backs, it’s easy to open and double check the work (or easily repair a defect as in the case of bisonicr’s capacitor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back