Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #34,486 of 63,836
Eco Man suggestion...

LoL

Well remove the foam from ZS3 and get the silver cable.

Way better microphonics leading to somewhat better sound(no silver sound) and better build.

...but many of the KZ silver cables are turning green. Some people don't mind but some people do not want that.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #34,487 of 63,836
I am enjoying my KZ ES4 since 4 days, listening again all my lossless collection I can find new details in almost all the recordings :) I was thinking to get a silver plated cable and I have some questions, will I feel some audible improvement? the ones sold by the official KZ store and similar around 10USD, are they plated with real silver? it seems they provide a certificate about it. Thanks!!!!
Nope, don't do it. The stock one of the ES4 is not that different from the other KZ upgrade cable.
Buy one of those is good only for avoid microphonics on KZs with the previous stock cable, like the one on the ED16.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #34,490 of 63,836
Seems like now there's a new KZ storage pouch available: https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009797426164.html

Makes me somewhat regret having ordered the KZ hard case storage boxes since the zipped ones are a good bit cheaper. :unamused:
Actually, these have been around for a while now. Picked up three in different colours myself. They're pretty nice, but I'd be happier if they had this net-pouch-thing inside. Without it everything's just thrown in loosely.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #34,491 of 63,836
I think if you love it that much you will want to be able to continue to use it even if you get something else in addition.

Agree with @mbwilson111. Replacement stock cables are only like $2-$4, with the upgrade cables being a few more dollars more than that.

If you like the IEM, just get a new cable and you’ll be back in business (plus you’ll save the IEM from rotting away in a landfill). That’s the exact reason why IEMs with replaceable cables are replaceable.
Thanks for the response. I did fear that I'll be unable to enjoy another iem as much as I do the zs3. But another reason I considered an upgrade in the first place was because I needed another iem for the gym. I plan on getting the kz bluetooth cable to go with this. I recently saw a new version on aliexpress. One with way better battery life (8hrs they claim) and with aptx support. Also has panels on both channels fixing the imbalance issue. They basically fixed everything wrong with the previous version which was why I didn't get that earlier. Based on your suggestions, I'm going to get a replacement cable for the zs3 and go on using that for my music, but I still want to get another solely for the gym as I wouldn't want to be constantly switching between the BT cable and the wire on the zs3 for fear it might wear it out before its time. So I still need a bit of guidance in doing so. I did a mild research based my preferred signature and I'm stuck between getting the es4 and the zsa. What do you think, or are there others I should be looking at. I know its solely for working out but there's a possibility I end up liking them enough to use them casually also, hence why I'm trying to get it right

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #34,492 of 63,836
Nope, don't do it. The stock one of the ES4 is not that different from the other KZ upgrade cable.
Buy one of those is good only for avoid microphonics on KZs with the previous stock cable, like the one on the ED16.

I ordered the ED16 with mic. Expecting them in a week or so (I'll leave my impressions afterwards). Should I order the silver upgrade cable for them? I have in mind too a pair of CP240M SpinFit tips.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #34,493 of 63,836
Hi guys, so I received the ed16 and t2 this Sunday, was using the Soundmagic e50 since the last 2 years. Haven't done much testing with the t2, but I've been extensively using the ed16 since the last 3 days.

The ed16 surprises me with the sound it can reproduce, considering the asking price of just 18usd. The build quality seems decent, these are pretty comfortable, and devoid of any wire noise also. Regarding the sound quality, I would say it is quite decent and reasonable, but contrary to what people had to say in this thread when I inquired about it in the past, it just doesn't hold a candle to my Soundmagic e50 in terms of instrument separation, vocals, and sub-bass quality; what I mean to say is that the e50s can produce better lower frequencies without compromising with details and instrument separation, which are both even better than in the ed16. Maybe burn-in would fix that in the future(I don't have much knowledge about that). And also consider that the e50s were around 45ish usd when I bought them, so obviously one would expect the better sound with the higher price.

But seriously, better marketing(drivers, BA, etc.) from KZ's side doesn't mean manufacturers of the early days in the budget iems segment are past their prime.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #34,494 of 63,836
finally after some weeks of usage of KZ ES4 and Rose North Forest here is my comparison-
I used turbo whirlwinds M on both the iems
The sound signatures are quite different because KZ uses BA for mids and highs where as RNF uses dynamic driver for full FR
Cable:
es4's cable is braided and non-microphonic and is rather tangle resistant
rnf's cable is a good quality non-sticky rubberized but is quite microphonic it is quite tangle resistant
Bass:
es4 has fast and quite controlled bass with good quantity with wide bores but gets boomy with starlines though(wide bores are must for es4), sub-bass extension is good, there is some mid-bass bleed into low mids but is treatable with EQ
rnf's bass is slightly slower than of es4's but is present in larger quantity, mid-bass is boosted and has prominent mid-bass bleed into low mids but when this mid bass is treated then you will hear the depth of rnf's bass it digs so deep which is quite desirable
Mids:
es4 has clean and clear mids with sparkle which is expected from a BA one can hear the subtle micro details easily, mids are quite energetic and natural sounding on es4
rnf's mid is dominated by 4k-5k peak which gives a slight artificial tone to mids the mids are quite forward(more than es4), the mids on rnf are relatively more thick than es4 and has a strong tone to it, when rnf is treated with eq it sounds so much better and cleaner than before(quite worth it), these do not sound as natural as es4's
Highs:
here es4 completely dominates rnf
es4 has brighter and more detailed highs than rnf but rnf is no joke in highs it has lot of air here(more than es4)
Soundstage:
here es4 completely destroys rnf in terms of width but they are quite close in depth
imaging is better on es4, instrument separation is also better on es4
Conclusion:
es4 and rnf are quite different from each other es4 has thinner and cleaner SQ than rnf but rnf has thick mids with awesome bass which I like but rnf lacks in soundstage which is a bummer
ES4:
controlled bass with clear sparkling mids and bright and detailed highs
RNF:
deep AF bass with strong thick mids with airy highs

Source: Oneplus 2 smartphone

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #34,495 of 63,836
I need some guidance is getting a new kz. I got the zs3 earlier this year and it was simply wonderful. I didn't even realize music could sound that good prior to that. It was..... immersive, for lack of a better word. The cable eventually got bad, lost sound on the left channel. I'm about ordering for a replacement cable and I saw it as an opportunity to maybe upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in getting a different kz, one with similar signature to the zs3 if possible. I generally prefer warm sound signatures without too much sacrifice on the highs, probably why I fell in love with the zs3. Although I'd gladly replace the cable and go on enjoying it, but I just wonder, could it really get any better than it currently is?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
i liked the zs3 when it first came out, but progress marches on and unless you're really treble averse, i think the zsr renders it obsolete--the zsr has the same immersive quality with much better imaging and detail. i'm reliably informed the ed16 is similar to even better than the zsr, but haven't yet heard it myself.

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #34,496 of 63,836
i liked the zs3 when it first came out, but progress marches on and unless you're really treble averse, i think the zsr renders it obsolete--the zsr has the same immersive quality with much better imaging and detail. i'm reliably informed the ed16 is similar to even better than the zsr, but haven't yet heard it myself.

Of the three (ZS3, ZSR, ED16), I personally had fit issues with the ZS3. I know I am in the minority but it happens. Everyone is different. The ED16 is the smallest of the three and the most confortable for me but someone in here did report having fit problems with it. Then there are the tips. You would think that what works for you on one of these would work on the others but that is not always the case.

What do you think, or are there others I should be looking at.

Do you need the cable to go over your ear? If not there is the always excellent ED9. Also, there are choices other than KZ. For example, I love my Sunorm SE950 and my UiiSii CM5. Both of those have the cable over the ear and both are in a similar price range as the KZs being discussed.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #34,497 of 63,836
ZSA is not very bassy. You'd want to go with the ED15 or ZSR instead.
Thank you very much for your advice. I was going to buy ZSA. Now I won't. I already have ZSR which I don't consider bassy at all. Perhaps I am more than semi-basshead.
Which is bassier- ED15 or ZSR?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #34,498 of 63,836
Are there any promo codes for ED15?

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #34,499 of 63,836
Thank you very much for your advice. I was going to buy ZSA. Now I won't. I already have ZSR which I don't consider bassy at all. Perhaps I am more than semi-basshead.
Which is bassier- ED15 or ZSR?

They're pretty similar. ZSR has more mid-bass. Bass quality on the ED15 is much better; tighter, punchier, better mid-/sub-bass balance. All imo of course. That said, if you're not finding the ZSR bassy you might want to check out another brand or look into picking up an older model like the ED8 or DT5, should you even be able to find one.

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #34,500 of 63,836
That said, if you're not finding the ZSR bassy you might want to check out another brand or look into picking up an older model like the ED8 or DT5, should you even be able to find one.
How about ED 15 and ED16? Which is bassier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back