Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #34,471 of 63,939
Technically-physically, if headphone needs EQ, then it is not "perfect"... BUT... WHO & WHAT is perfect? We all have different hearing, like it or not and EQ is to HELP people getting great personal SQ.
Choices ppl... choices. One is not better than other.

I agree, however I try to us e minimal EQ, but have multiple sources.
example: My EDR1 may sound good with my Cayin with no eq, but needs a bit of a bump with my ipod touch to get the same SQ. But the comfort or fact they may be my EDC, doesn't change.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #34,472 of 63,939
EQ can do it, but then you need an amp, because we can shape it electri Q or onkyo HF player.

But EQ is and only used for correcting resonance inside our ears and leave iem sound as they do
+1 use eq to get rid of resonances and clean up the sound

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #34,473 of 63,939
I decided to have a bit of sport today. I pulled the balanced 2-pin silver cable from my ciem and put it on the ES4 so I could run them balanced from my Opus #1s. This is probably not the rig that most Kz hardware will see, but I can say it scales better than I anticipated. The slightly clinical nature of the Opus pairs well and bass while still a bit over neutral is well controlled and the glitch I was hearing at the cross-over is minimalized. I can occasionally pick it out but I have to really work at it. Seems some of the differences we are hearing is very likely to be that the ES4 is a bit source dependent. It is a different animal run balanced from a good dap than run single ended off a phone/Q1 for sure.

Supposedly many KZs sound better when run balanced. I've seen people swear by ZS5 v1 and ZS6 when run balanced mode, for example.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #34,474 of 63,939
To @CoiL 's point regarding EQ, I think the issue I have with use of EQ is that people dramatically over-estimate what it can do. You will never successfully turn a warm, bass lite headphone into a bright bass heavy one with EQ. EQ works best to slightly decrease a frequency that you find over-present in the mix. Anything more than incremental change is likely to end with undesired consequences.

Finesse adjustments are where the EQ is designed to work.
Gross adjustments are best left to a change in hardware.

Agreed.

If you're using EQ to make enormous adjustments, you should really be looking at a differently-tuned headphone to begin with.

In my experience, EQ is ideal for minor adjustments.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #34,475 of 63,939
Supposedly many KZs sound better when run balanced. I've seen people swear by ZS5 v1 and ZS6 when run balanced mode, for example.

I'd question whether it is really a matter of sounding better due to balanced out, or if it is a matter of most devices that support balanced are more expensive and use a bit better components to begin with, so benefit from those things. Balanced certainly allows you to push more power into a headphone when compared with the single ended output of the same device, but I think the idea that it sounds better in and of itself is more myth than reality.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #34,476 of 63,939
I'd question whether it is really a matter of sounding better due to balanced out, or if it is a matter of most devices that support balanced are more expensive and use a bit better components to begin with, so benefit from those things. Balanced certainly allows you to push more power into a headphone when compared with the single ended output of the same device, but I think the idea that it sounds better in and of itself is more myth than reality.

No clue. I don't have any balanced equipment. What you said makes perfect sense though - I'm sure the balanced stuff use better components anyways. Or it could all just be bias.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #34,478 of 63,939
I am enjoying my KZ ES4 since 4 days, listening again all my lossless collection I can find new details in almost all the recordings :) I was thinking to get a silver plated cable and I have some questions, will I feel some audible improvement? the ones sold by the official KZ store and similar around 10USD, are they plated with real silver? it seems they provide a certificate about it. Thanks!!!!

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #34,479 of 63,939
Сould anybody compare ZS10 with ZSA? I have ZS10. Is it worth buying ZSA for semi-basshead?

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #34,480 of 63,939
Well... my DX5X is single ended... but I changed many hardware components for much higher specs and SQ... with 3.1V/80mA per channel @ high gain (lol, I think even many balanced can`t push out such juice). Maybe that`s why I`m hearing my ES4 little differently than many here? :)
I am enjoying my KZ ES4 since 4 days, listening again all my lossless collection I can find new details in almost all the recordings :) I was thinking to get a silver plated cable and I have some questions, will I feel some audible improvement? the ones sold by the official KZ store and similar around 10USD, are they plated with real silver? it seems they provide a certificate about it. Thanks!!!!
Don`t buy those "silver" "upgrade" cables... they are not much better from stock. If You wish better - rather go for DIY cable :wink:
Or if DIY isn`t possible, check hakuzen post about those cheap cable measurements.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #34,482 of 63,939
I need some guidance is getting a new kz. I got the zs3 earlier this year and it was simply wonderful. I didn't even realize music could sound that good prior to that. It was..... immersive, for lack of a better word. The cable eventually got bad, lost sound on the left channel. I'm about ordering for a replacement cable and I saw it as an opportunity to maybe upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in getting a different kz, one with similar signature to the zs3 if possible. I generally prefer warm sound signatures without too much sacrifice on the highs, probably why I fell in love with the zs3. Although I'd gladly replace the cable and go on enjoying it, but I just wonder, could it really get any better than it currently is?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #34,483 of 63,939
I need some guidance is getting a new kz. I got the zs3 earlier this year and it was simply wonderful. I didn't even realize music could sound that good prior to that. It was..... immersive, for lack of a better word. The cable eventually got bad, lost sound on the left channel. I'm about ordering for a replacement cable and I saw it as an opportunity to maybe upgrade. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in getting a different kz, one with similar signature to the zs3 if possible. I generally prefer warm sound signatures without too much sacrifice on the highs, probably why I fell in love with the zs3. Although I'd gladly replace the cable and go on enjoying it, but I just wonder, could it really get any better than it currently is?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I think if you love it that much you will want to be able to continue to use it even if you get something else in addition.

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #34,484 of 63,939

I think if you love it that much you will want to be able to continue to use it even if you get something else in addition.

Agree with @mbwilson111. Replacement stock cables are only like $2-$4, with the upgrade cables being a few more dollars more than that.

If you like the IEM, just get a new cable and you’ll be back in business (plus you’ll save the IEM from rotting away in a landfill). That’s the exact reason why IEMs with replaceable cables are replaceable.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #34,485 of 63,939
Agree with @mbwilson111. Replacement stock cables are only like $2-$4, with the upgrade cables being a few more dollars more than that.

If you like the IEM, just get a new cable and you’ll be back in business (plus you’ll save the IEM from rotting away in a landfill). That’s the exact reason why IEMs with replaceable cables are replaceable.
Eco Man suggestion...

LoL

Well remove the foam from ZS3 and get the silver cable.

Way better microphonics leading to somewhat better sound(no silver sound) and better build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back