Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #34,456 of 63,944
IMG_20180706_164937.jpg

These just arrived...

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #34,457 of 63,944
Well the Auvio wide bores came in over the weekend and I've now replaced tips on both my ZS10 and ES4. Now that the ES4 has completed its full 1More break-in run, I can restore it to being my daily driver (ZS6 is now on the bench). I forgot how relaxed its signature is and, plugged into my Fiio E12a/Xduoo X3 combo*, things are really smooth, even without EQ (I'd have to boot into Rockbox to do so and just really don't care for the UI). On the OnePlus 6 using Neutralizer, they're even more relaxed, yet I can still bring out more detail than I thought they were capable of. Are they replacements for some of my most expensive pairs? In the sense that I don't mind if they get broken/lost, sure. I just don't buy into the philosophy that they "shoot well above their price range."

Still waiting on the ZS6 and ED16 to show up. ED16's in limbo and Massdrop says expected shipping date on the ZS6 isn't going to be until the 20th.

*I have to use the E12a with the X3 since the headphone out developed a loose connection.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #34,459 of 63,944
Any option for a ES4 but with more and detailed highs?
The ED16 comes to mind. Less upper bass/lower mids and more treble without sibilance. Bass is less powerful than ES4 but better defined in my book. The deep/sub bass is more prominent than mid bass. Bigger soundstage as well. Still like my ES4 it's just a different sound signature.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #34,461 of 63,944
I just ordered ED16, question is: what upgrade cable with mic should i get? So far i used Vido (nice for how much they cost), Mi piston (not impressed), Rock Zircon (mixed feelings, sometimes great, sometimes just loud or bassy), Koss ruk 20w (not bad but can i say "meh"? ). Sansa Fuze v2 and Xiaomi mi A1 as players. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #34,462 of 63,944
I just purchased another pair of ZS6 so I have a spare in case they go bad, that's how much I'm enjoying them. Without equalizer they are painful to listen too and I'm not really enjoying them, with EQ they truly shine, people not using EQ are missing out. You do need a 10 band EQ minimum to make them shine.
I agree with what other people have said. If you need to use an equalizer they aren't good headphones.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #34,463 of 63,944
I just ordered ED16, question is: what upgrade cable with mic should i get? So far i used Vido (nice for how much they cost), Mi piston (not impressed), Rock Zircon (mixed feelings, sometimes great, sometimes just loud or bassy), Koss ruk 20w (not bad but can i say "meh"? ). Sansa Fuze v2 and Xiaomi mi A1 as players. Thanks!

What’s wrong with the stock cable?

Don’t feel like the upgrade cables are required, especially if you need a mic (as most of the upgrade cables don’t even come with a mic).

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #34,464 of 63,944
I agree with what other people have said. If you need to use an equalizer they aren't good headphones.
I respectively disagree, as for me, maybe a slight cut/lift in a part of the Spectrum, does not turn them into a.......not good headphone, but, thats just my old ears.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #34,465 of 63,944
Technically-physically, if headphone needs EQ, then it is not "perfect"... BUT... WHO & WHAT is perfect? We all have different hearing, like it or not and EQ is to HELP people getting great personal SQ.
Then there are differences in source gear, amping, tips, music, preferences etc. ...all that are not perfect.
And then there are two ways to approach to personal sound bliss:
1) Get good sounding headphone/IEM and use EQ.
2) Get great *personal* sound-matching IEM/headphone with good gear and not use EQ.

I chose 2nd option, long long way... and still had to mod/tune to get it right for MY EARS. And I still don`t use EQ.

Differences between 2:
* with 1st choice You need to use EQ (and probably differently set) with every source gear.
* with 2nd option You pretty much do not need to do anything, as base-core-signature of IEM/headphone doesn`t change so much with different gear and mostly still
fits personal preference/hearing.

Agree or not. Choices.

Choices ppl... choices. One is not better than other.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #34,468 of 63,944
I decided to have a bit of sport today. I pulled the balanced 2-pin silver cable from my ciem and put it on the ES4 so I could run them balanced from my Opus #1s. This is probably not the rig that most Kz hardware will see, but I can say it scales better than I anticipated. The slightly clinical nature of the Opus pairs well and bass while still a bit over neutral is well controlled and the glitch I was hearing at the cross-over is minimalized. I can occasionally pick it out but I have to really work at it. Seems some of the differences we are hearing is very likely to be that the ES4 is a bit source dependent. It is a different animal run balanced from a good dap than run single ended off a phone/Q1 for sure.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #34,469 of 63,944
To @CoiL 's point regarding EQ, I think the issue I have with use of EQ is that people dramatically over-estimate what it can do. You will never successfully turn a warm, bass lite headphone into a bright bass heavy one with EQ. EQ works best to slightly decrease a frequency that you find over-present in the mix. Anything more than incremental change is likely to end with undesired consequences.

Finesse adjustments are where the EQ is designed to work.
Gross adjustments are best left to a change in hardware.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #34,470 of 63,944
To @CoiL 's point regarding EQ, I think the issue I have with use of EQ is that people dramatically over-estimate what it can do. You will never successfully turn a warm, bass lite headphone into a bright bass heavy one with EQ. EQ works best to slightly decrease a frequency that you find over-present in the mix. Anything more than incremental change is likely to end with undesired consequences.

Finesse adjustments are where the EQ is designed to work.
Gross adjustments are best left to a change in hardware.
EQ can do it, but then you need an amp, because we can shape it electri Q or onkyo HF player.

But EQ is and only used for correcting resonance inside our ears and leave iem sound as they do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back