Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #34,516 of 63,985
I`m questioning myself WHY should I buy this KZ if I have found my bliss with modded IT01? Leaving-KZ-family final purchase? Just for... no reason?
Itchy & scratchy ;D

just because you can...

you know you want to:)

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #34,517 of 63,985
Well, my ED16 arrived and while they are very close to ZSR, I think I prefer the latter just a bit more.
I guess it has something to do with my anatomy and the location of vent holes on each model, but on the ZSR I actually hear slightly less bass and that, along with less upper mids sounds a bit closer to what I like to hear.

But I can totally see why people like ED16 more, they are somewhat more energetic and fun tuned, they are small and practically sink into earlobes. I fail to see why these got canned.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #34,519 of 63,985
I`m questioning myself WHY should I buy this KZ if I have found my bliss with modded IT01? Leaving-KZ-family final purchase? Just for... no reason?
Itchy & scratchy ;D

I'm in the same boat. I have a custom 5 driver that is as close to nirvana as I will likely come, and yet I find myself tempted to purchase another $20 wonder that I know wont be close.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #34,520 of 63,985
I'm in the same boat. I have a custom 5 driver that is as close to nirvana as I will likely come, and yet I find myself tempted to purchase another $20 wonder that I know wont be close.

I have a nice 6BA per side iem that is much more expensive and yet I love the ED16 enough that I am considering buying a backup pair. For one thing it it smaller.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #34,521 of 63,985
And I strongly disagree. They don't need an equalizer. They need a good burn-in for at least 300 hours. The harshness and sibilants will vanish. Much depends on the gear source too. I have a lot of different IEMS and full size headphones. Number 1 is Meze 99 Classics. Number 2 is Sendiy M121 (IEMs which cost $200) and number three is ZS6. Actually ZS6 is my preference for out-of-doors conditions. IMO they are number one for ratio of SQ/price too. Sorry if I sounded like a mentor. I did not mean that.
Bro, go read linkwitz er4 article....

You do need equalisation as our ear acts a reverse horn focusing treble energy and bass synergy(hit).

Burn in is still old school and applicable to old school driver like lowther. It may still effect some driver but is not scientifically proven.

And if you are on KZ thread, people are buying KZ iem and not something like Ocharaku, which pretune everything with tornado equaliser and dual shift drive.

Your eardrum impedance and ear canal shape will boost certain frequency which you may not see on FR, that's why you equalise to get perfect sound or buy expensive iem or headphone

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #34,523 of 63,985
I have a nice 6BA per side iem that is much more expensive and yet I love the ED16 enough that I am considering buying a backup pair. For one thing it it smaller.

You know this is a form of illness right? This cant be healthy behavior for any of us.

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #34,524 of 63,985
You know this is a form of illness right? This cant be healthy behavior for any of us.
I believe the appropriate term is GAD (Gear Acqusition Disorder).

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #34,525 of 63,985
I believe the appropriate term is GAD (Gear Acqusition Disorder).

ah yes, or in technical (latin) terms - mustus earphonium obtanis

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #34,528 of 63,985
just got my ed16 and, in a word (or two) they are tip sensitive as a mofo. ootb, with the stock starline tips, they were surprisingly balanced/laid back, with uncharacteristically (for kz) forward, pleasant mids, but otherwise bass-shy and mostly underwhelming. switching to foams, which i generally do not prefer, the difference was night-and-day--the bass deepened profoundly, while treble seemed to brighten and show more microdetail, probably because it was presented against the deeper background. as shod thusly, they really are (as otto and others have suggested) sort of a more refined, 9/10 scale variant of the zsr, with a smaller stage and a bit less adrenaline and extension, but more sculpted bass and better coherence. they're not as small as i expected (tho definitely sleeker and more ergonomic than the zsr or zs5/6), but isolation is better than advertised. these cost me $17, which coincidentally was the same price as the beers at the horrible jam-band concert i was forced to attend last week and which will traumatize me forever.

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #34,529 of 63,985
Did a little more tweaking with the ED16 by using my RE-400 double-flanges and re-running Neutralizer. I've managed to get the presence region tuned a little less aggressively and it's surprising how much like the ES4 these things sound as an end-result. Stage might shrink a little bit, but that's made up for by not having to reach for the volume knob on more aggressive tracks. I've left my EQ setting below in case anybody wants to emulate. Keep in mind that I'm almost all subtractive EQ except for the 32 Hz setting since it's almost non-existent to my ears without a small boost.

Screenshot_20180712-102134.jpg

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #34,530 of 63,985
@mbwilson111 I just received my backup ED16's. Now I have both colors. Good stuff! It was actually your initial comments that made me try them. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back