Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #30,437 of 64,004
Hi guys, I need some help. I looove my ZS5v1 even if the mids could be a bit more precise and less muddy, the only problem that I have with them is their design. They just dont fit my ears, tried everything. Do you guys have any recommendations for IEMs that perform similarly with detachable cables, and a regular/common in ear design ?

I already have the UiiSii HM7 proposed in the post above mine, they're not bad but obviously dont come any close to the ZS5v1, you only need to hear the soundstage difference... Thanks in advance !

You could just sand them down to be more comfortable:

sanded down.jpg

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #30,438 of 64,004
Is ED special edition same as EDR1? From the audiobudget's FR curves, the EDR1, EDR2 and ED2 are same except cosmetic differences? Anyways, the FR curves are very nice. Almost on target. It is another example that you don't need multi-BA to reproduce good sound.

EDSE is different from the EDR1.

It uses a different driver, has the vent hole in a different spot, and sounds different.

The EDR1 is superior to the EDSE. It is possible to mod the EDSE so it sounds closer to the EDR1, but it takes way more work than just buying an EDR1 for $3-$4.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #30,439 of 64,004
OK Doc,
Ad hominem attacks are generally rude. Was this one? Your reaction is a bit overdone at as my skepticism towards this store - not you - is justified. And I think you really didn't (want to) understand my argument.

As stated, I am interested in ordering these EDSE but want to make sure they exist (in this store).

That evidence from packaging question is the one you avoided to answer. The fact that your EDR1 and EDSE sound different could have been a QC inconsistency as long as you don't give any evidence otherwise. OK, I give you your claim that the EDSE are real and you have them...but the EDSE can be optically distinguished from the EDR1 ("vent hole and length of housing"), according to Slater above and against your claim. However, that does not mean that that's what the store is selling us.

I am attaching two pics in support of my skepticism of that store, not you:

1. The "silver" version of the gold-plated EDSE. Does not look like the EDR1 at all but exactly like the EDR2. This is dodgy.
2. The mislabelled ED9 version of the EDR1/EDSE. One mislabellings to many.

All I want to avoid is ordering a third EDR1. There is good reason to believe that this vendor is confusing models.

EDSE.jpg
Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread | Page 2029 | Head-Fi.org-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #30,440 of 64,004
OK Doc,
Ad hominem attacks are generally rude. Your reaction is not warranted at all as my skepticism towards this store - not you - is justified. And I think you really didn't understand my argument.

As stated, I am interested in ordering these EDSE but want to make sure they exist (in this store). This question could be answered by the iem's packaging, as indicated. I could not find any info on the EDSE on the internet (e.g. B9Scrambler's site)

That packaging question is the one you avoided to answer. OK, I give you your claim that the EDSE are real and you have them...but they don't look exactly the same ("vent hole"), according to Slater above. But that does not mean that that's what the store is selling us.

1. The "silver" version of the gold-plated EDSE. Does not look like the EDR1 at all but exactly like the EDR2. This is dodgy.
2. The ED9 version of the EDR1/EDSE.

You cherry pick the mislabellings. The fact that your EDR1 and EDSE sound different could be a QC inconsistency as long as you don't give any evidence otherwise, let's say from the package. And even if your EDSE are real, how do we know that the store is giving us the right info on their EDSE?

All I want to avoid is ordering a third EDR1. Too many mislabellings in this store? Why is this unreasonable?

That ED9 is just mislabeled. There is only 1 ED9 (in black and polished chrome). It has screw on nozzles. Just ignore that listing; it is bogus.

There is no silver EDSE, and any reference to a silver EDSE is bogus (or confusion on the seller's part).

There is only 1 EDSE. Externally (at least from photos), it is almost indistinguishable from an EDR1.

You USED to be able to tell them apart from the length of the shell - in other words, with an EDR v1, the EDR1 v1 shell is 3-4mms longer than the EDSE.

But now that the NEW EDR1 (ie EDR1 v2) uses the same exact shell as the EDSE, the only way to tell which is which (visually, not audibly) is to examine the vent hole on the underside by the wire strain relief.

The cable is the same, shells plated the same dark grey color, etc etc

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #30,441 of 64,004
OK Doc,
Ad hominem attacks are generally rude. Your reaction is not warranted at all as my skepticism towards this store - not you - is justified. And I think you really didn't understand my argument.

As stated, I am interested in ordering these EDSE but want to make sure they exist (in this store). This question could be answered by the iem's packaging, as indicated. I could not find any info on the EDSE on the internet (e.g. B9Scrambler's site)

That packaging question is the one you avoided to answer. OK, I give you your claim that the EDSE are real and you have them...but the EDSE can be optically distinguished from the EDR1 ("vent hole"), according to Slater above and against your claim. However, that does not mean that that's what the store is selling us.

2. The ED9 version of the EDR1/EDSE.

You cherry pick the mislabellings. The fact that your EDR1 and EDSE sound different could have been a QC inconsistency as long as you don't give any evidence otherwise. And even if your EDSE are real, how do we know that the store is giving us the right info on their EDSE?

All I want to avoid is ordering a third EDR1. Too many mislabellings in this store? Why is this unreasonable?

1. My openings and closing statements in the post were clearly tongue in cheek and in jest.

2. Saying that I "avoided to answer" suggests intentional obfuscation as opposed to oversight, just like the stores oversight with mislabeling the IEM below.
2018-04-11 11.43.48.png

Seems you've made up your mind regarding motive but let me be clear. I did not "avoid" the question. My EDR1, EDR2 and EDSE all came in KZ's small rectangular black boxes with purple writing and a small black and white label in the top right corner that clearly state "EDR1" or "EDR2" just as my HDS3 and HDS1 did.

3. The original EDR1 and EDSE did not exist in silver/aluminum so to quell your fear either contact the seller or avoid purchasing them from the site you've posted the photo from.

You cherry pick the mislabellings. The fact that your EDR1 and EDSE sound different could have been a QC inconsistency as long as you don't give any evidence otherwise.
Slater clearly concurred with my findings in his post that the EDR1 and the EDSE do indeed sound different. Why mention the vent hole and omit his confirmation of sound signature? Was it an oversight or obfuscation? If two seasoned members of the thread confirm a given sound signature on both accounts (EDR1 & EDSE) and it's not enough to make a decision then don't make a decision until you are satisfied with the information you gather about said IEM.

Slater's comments:

It uses a different driver, has the vent hole in a different spot, and sounds different.

The EDR1 is superior to the EDSE. It is possible to mod the EDSE so it sounds closer to the EDR1, but it takes way more work than just buying an EDR1 for $3-$4.

5. The link I provided shows that my connection was via a mobile device and platform in German

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/store/a...49_smu-y2gIVDeDICh0jOwr-EAAYASAAEgKjD_D_BwE#/

.......as opposed to the full desktop layout which may account for the lack of the photo you provided with a Russian AliExpress presentation (which is why I inquired about the link).
By the way, regarding the "You cherry pick the mislabellings" thanks for casting mild aspersions.

Too many mislabellings in this store?
Find another seller.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #30,442 of 64,004
1. My openings and closing statements in the post were clearly tongue in cheek and in jest.

It is all good. In the meantime I found a snippet on the EDSE on the Contraptionist. There is no review on the EDR1 anywhere...and contributing to the confusion, audiobudget states that the ED2 look like the EDR1/EDSE but have the same driver and sound as the EDR2. KZ really pulled out more of (almost) the same. No wonder vendors and buyers are confused.

I have no doubt that the EDSE and EDR1 sound different with the additional information given. This essentially includes the recommendation to avoid the EDSE. Vendor problem solved :)

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #30,443 of 64,004
In my search for the tiny but good sounding KZ HDS3 I came across mention of the only wood shelled style that I know about. What I didn't realize was that they made one in the 'regular' size which would make it look like the EDR2 and then a 'mini' size more comparable to the HDS3.

From the collectors, how do either size sound? Secondly, is there a similar tiny choice comparable to the HDS3? I'm asking for other brands for this one because I'm rather sure KZ doesn't offer anything. I can think of things like the MEMT X5, Einsear T2 as small options but I think they're more EDR2 sized and not really tiny, tiny like the HDS3.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #30,444 of 64,004
In my search for the tiny but good sounding KZ HDS3 I came across mention of the only wood shelled style that I know about. What I didn't realize was that they made one in the 'regular' size which would make it look like the EDR2 and then a 'mini' size more comparable to the HDS3.

From the collectors, how do either size sound? Secondly, is there a similar tiny choice comparable to the HDS3? I'm asking for other brands for this one because I'm rather sure KZ doesn't offer anything. I can think of things like the MEMT X5, Einsear T2 as small options but I think they're more EDR2 sized and not really tiny, tiny like the HDS3.

Microdrivers/small earphones in my possession: Joyroom E-103 (great resolution, possibly a bit bright), Remax RM-720i (chainsaw), Sony MH1C (excellent; horrible cable; $22 on eBay), UiiSii HM7 (praised but I don't like them), Philips SHE3590 (don't like them either), Sennheiser CX300II (muddy bass).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #30,445 of 64,004
It is all good. In the meantime I found a snippet on the EDSE on the Contraptionist. There is no review on the EDR1 anywhere...and contributing to the confusion, audiobudget states that the ED2 look like the EDR1/EDSE but have the same driver and sound as the EDR2. KZ really pulled out more of (almost) the same. No wonder vendors and buyers are confused.

I have no doubt that the EDSE and EDR1 sound different with the additional information given. This essentially includes the recommendation to avoid the EDSE. Vendor problem solved :)

Knowledge Zenith EDR1:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-edr1-in-ear-monitor.22987/reviews

Knowledge Zenith ED7:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed7-in-ear-monitor.23035/reviews#review-20135

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #30,446 of 64,004

There's the 'mini' version of the KZ ED7 bamboo IEM (smaller than the regular ED7). I don't know how it compares size-wise to the HDS3. Doc could answer that.

You can check out more info here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed7-in-ear-monitor.23035/reviews#review-20135

Also, I have a like-new (modded) HDS2 micro drver I would be willing to part with. It's ridiculously small (look at it in comparison to the SMALL Starline tip); even smaller than the HDS3: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1677#post-13855768

(top one in this photo)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #30,447 of 64,004
But, one should not stop equalizing based on the false beiief that it is not pure or that distorts the sound.
You are totally correct but no-one has said that EQing is "not pure" or "distorts" sound or is bad. What was said, is that EQing affects sideby frequencies of target frequency and there are different directions approaching sound "correction" to subjective taste.

That`s my final comment about this in this thread as it seems to turn off-topic and "pushed" to one side (and I`m not doing that) :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #30,448 of 64,004
There's the 'mini' version of the KZ ED7 bamboo IEM (smaller than the regular ED7). I don't know how it compares size-wise to the HDS3. Doc could answer that.

You can check out more info here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-ed7-in-ear-monitor.23035/reviews#review-20135

Also, I have a like-new (modded) HDS2 micro drver I would be willing to part with. It's ridiculously small (look at it in comparison to the SMALL Starline tip); even smaller than the HDS3: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1677#post-13855768

(top one in this photo)
The mod was to Dremel off the back and seal the resulting hole, correct? I remember your post showing the mod. In fact I went looking for a HDS2 after I saw that post but couldn't find it anywhere but did run across the HDS3 and decided to get a pair. Now I'm wishing that I'd gotten a few more. Cheap and so tiny and decent sound, they're great to just stash about home, the office and car.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #30,449 of 64,004

I'm in the same situation as @Otto Motor. I have the EDR1 and EDR2 which are absolute bergains, and as a collector I want to buy the EDSE. I noted that in the KZ Official Store the feedback pictures from several people show the EDR1 box. Yes, it's clearly the EDR1. Some boxes don't mention the model but only the picture. Some pictures show the ED9. What?

Does anyone have the EDSE with the white box? Does it really exist in that store? Maybe it's just the EDR1 afterall.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #30,450 of 64,004

I purchased the EDR1, and think it exceptional for the price, so I've ordered another 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back