Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #30,406 of 63,916
one should not stop equalizing based on the false beiief that it is not pure or that distorts the sound.

Definitely agree.

I usually take an Xacto knife and do a quick surgery to remove the memory wire.

I did that in one cable. And almost cut everything. But It went well.

What's wrong with the memory wire? just personal taste or there may be some improvement?
thanks in advance

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #30,407 of 63,916
Definitely agree.

What's wrong with the memory wire? just personal taste or there may be some improvement?
thanks in advance

It's just personal taste. The KZ memory wire bother's some people.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #30,409 of 63,916
Just received yet another pair of EDR1. They sound and look identical to my older pair without mic...even without break-in :). I just replaced the red nylon screens with metal to emphasize the mids (in both).

And they did not come in any box, be it blue or white...AE seller just sent them in a baggie, and with the old pre-starline tips included. I'd like to see the new design in comparison, Slater.

Anyway, here it is once again, your classic $5 miracle. A good example of substance over style. Sound just great and beats the praised Soundmagic E10C at $50!

IMG_6322.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #30,410 of 63,916
Just received yet another pair of EDR1. They sound and look identical to my older pair without mic...even without break-in :).

Is ED special edition same as EDR1? From the audiobudget's FR curves, the EDR1, EDR2 and ED2 are same except cosmetic differences? Anyways, the FR curves are very nice. Almost on target. It is another example that you don't need multi-BA to reproduce good sound.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #30,411 of 63,916
Definitely agree.
thanks in advance

Entirely a preference thing. With Glasses the memory wire can be rather uncomfortable.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #30,412 of 63,916
Just tried the kz zs10 on my new nokia 8 with a hifi amp I bought from amazon. I have to admit the sound is much better than with the htc 10 and the amp. The vocals are much better and they are less muddy with an amazing bass. It's amazing how changing the source can change the sound a lot. Didn't expect such a good performance from nokia 8. I am impressed!

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #30,413 of 63,916
It's just personal taste. The KZ memory wire bother's some people.

I was thinking about this, since many believe KZ reads this thread I would suggest instead of memory wire I prefer or like an option for the pre-formed clear tubing that shapes the wire instead. I don't know if anyone else likes that or not, but I find it great on the UiiSii CM5 for an example of what I am talking about. I don't know if it has a real name to better explain it. I wear glasses and find it much easier to work with.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #30,414 of 63,916
I was thinking about this, since many believe KZ reads this thread I would suggest instead of memory wire I prefer or like an option for the pre-formed clear tubing that shapes the wire instead. I don't know if anyone else likes that or not, but I find it great on the UiiSii CM5 for an example of what I am talking about. I don't know if it has a real name to better explain it. I wear glasses and find it much easier to work with.

Oh yes, these are way more confortable. But its a mess to tangle with wires. My brainwavz has a cable like that. I also prefer it to the memory wire on kz.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #30,415 of 63,916
Is ED special edition same as EDR1? From the audiobudget's FR curves, the EDR1, EDR2 and ED2 are same except cosmetic differences? Anyways, the FR curves are very nice. Almost on target. It is another example that you don't need multi-BA to reproduce good sound.
Looks like it. It appears to me the name "special edition" is made up by the seller. And the housing is likely not gold-plated either as claimed. Not for $5. Too good to be true :).

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #30,417 of 63,916
The 2 items I'm still waiting on were the only ones bought in the KZ store on Ali, got a message today saying "items returned to us we are resending here is new tracking number"

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #30,418 of 63,916
Just tried the kz zs10 on my new nokia 8 with a hifi amp I bought from amazon. I have to admit the sound is much better than with the htc 10 and the amp. The vocals are much better and they are less muddy with an amazing bass. It's amazing how changing the source can change the sound a lot. Didn't expect such a good performance from nokia 8. I am impressed!
Multi-drivers impedance varies widely. Some go as low as 5 ohms at certain frequencies. So, it is very important to have a very low output impedance of less than 1 ohm in your source.
Does your amp contains a DAC too or just analog amp?

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #30,419 of 63,916

The EDSE, EDR1 and EDR2 sound different from one another though the EDSE and EDR1 look identical:

* The EDR2 sound signature leans towards a more balanced presentation..
415oAx016gL._SY400_.jpg

* The EDSE has a slight lift in the bass and treble with a minimally recessed midrange (more "V" shaped sound signature)
61laS6dbaoL._SL1500_.jpg

61aYFS2yeLL._SL1600_.jpg

* The EDR1 is a bass lovers dream with its addictive bass because everything else remains clear.
51mCsAullqL._SL1600_.jpg

Listening to the following tracks with all three IEMs will clarify just how different they are.

The ED Special Edition was my very first KZ. I never ordered the ED2 but I should have because it may be different from the three aforementioned KZ's. Sometimes you can't depend on a sellers description of what they themselves are selling.

This is from the "KZ Official Store" on AliExpress.
2018-04-11 11.43.48.png

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/store/a...49_smu-y2gIVDeDICh0jOwr-EAAYASAAEgKjD_D_BwE#/

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Screenshot_2018-04-11-12-17-35.png

Screenshot_2018-04-11-12-17-25.png

Screenshot_2018-04-11-12-18-14.png

Even so, getting all three for less than $20 (total) is money well spent.

I'll post a more in-depth review of both the ED Special Edition and the EDR2 in the showcase section but B9 and aproear have more information for those that are interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecon...ce-to-begin-your-audiophile-journey-pt-2/amp/

https://www.aproear.co.uk/edse/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back