Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #30,376 of 63,640
IEM sound is dependent on so many things (including anatomy!) that it seems wild to dismiss EQ, especially with chi-fi where there may be more QC/sample variation than at higher-priced market segments.

I mean, I can understand preferring to buy things that don't require EQ for you to enjoy them (it's certainly a lot less fuss), but when you can't try before you buy, sometimes you end up with stuff that performs well in general but has a frequency response that doesn't quite work for you.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #30,378 of 63,640
In theory you are absolutely correct, now measure the output and see what the reality is. No eq can perfectly correct a single frequency without impacting things on either side of it and even parametrics would have to know the driver type and specs to be able to fully optimize the process to get the best results. Rarely does the in the wild result match up to the lab result let alone the theoretical result which is why our responses differ.
You are correct. It is never going to affect only 1 frequency. But.... You would never want it that specific anyway. No detail or artifact or flaw you hear is ever only one frequency. It is an amalgam of frequencies harmonics, and distortion. Even if it could be that specific, it would be corrupted by amplifiers, drivers, and mostly by our highly imperfect ears. Some of us prefer to eq and some not. It's not an exact science, even in a perfect studio environment. If you can make it sound better To YOUR Ear, then it is better. I like this forum. We learn from each other. It's all good.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #30,379 of 63,640
Anyone here Would be capable of translating these image ? I'm really curious to know what it is about. Seems like a description of the developers. 1523409405430735895444.jpg
1523409308508247446114.jpg

Hmmmmm, i was happy in having ordered the blue one.

15234095987321192267218.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #30,380 of 63,640
You are correct. It is never going to affect only 1 frequency. But.... You would never want it that specific anyway. No detail or artifact or flaw you hear is ever only one frequency. It is an amalgam of frequencies harmonics, and distortion. Even if it could be that specific, it would be corrupted by amplifiers, drivers, and mostly by our highly imperfect ears. Some of us prefer to eq and some not. It's not an exact science, even in a perfect studio environment. If you can make it sound better To YOUR Ear, then it is better. I like this forum. We learn from each other. It's all good.

I wasn't suggesting not to ever use EQ, a couple of others brought that up. I do use EQ to enhance some of my stuff. My purpose was to suggest that you cannot take a warm/dark iem, and turn it into a bright iem by using EQ. While you can make small adjustments to improve sound, you cannot go beyond those small changes and get acceptable results.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #30,381 of 63,640
I wasn't suggesting not to ever use EQ, a couple of others brought that up. I do use EQ to enhance some of my stuff. My purpose was to suggest that you cannot take a warm/dark iem, and turn it into a bright iem by using EQ. While you can make small adjustments to improve sound, you cannot go beyond those small changes and get acceptable results.

Agreed. There's no substitute for quality sound (and gear). But minor, personal tweaks are fine, IMHO.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #30,382 of 63,640

Well said. I agree.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #30,383 of 63,640
If KZ would only make a more comfortable but still metal version of the ZS6 I would love it. I really enjoy the ZS6 with the treble dialed back a few dB's. I especially like the detail in the mids. I love the way crunchy guitars sound. But dang! I have sanded these down, Instaled longer tips and o-ring spacers. It sounds great for the 30 minutes I can stand to wear it until they get uncomfortable.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #30,384 of 63,640
don't buy zx products .

In a KZ-dedicated thread? That's like going to a Corvette forum and telling people not to buy Corvettes.

KZs aren't perfect, but name me 1 thing that is.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #30,385 of 63,640
Anyone here Would be capable of translating these image ? I'm really curious to know what it is about. Seems like a description of the developers.

Hmmmmm, i was happy in having ordered the blue one.

Its just some tribute to the leads in the various aspects of the ZS10 development. The Industrial Designer , Sound Engineer / Electrical Engineer.

Basically to say that there was a dedicated team who worked hard for the product's development, not a random 'parts bin compilation' product.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #30,386 of 63,640
If KZ would only make a more comfortable but still metal version of the ZS6 I would love it. I really enjoy the ZS6 with the treble dialed back a few dB's. I especially like the detail in the mids. I love the way crunchy guitars sound. But dang! I have sanded these down, Instaled longer tips and o-ring spacers. It sounds great for the 30 minutes I can stand to wear it until they get uncomfortable.

I'm guessing that's the intention with this:

2018 KZs - Edited (2).jpg

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #30,387 of 63,640
I'm guessing that's the intention with this:

That's what I thought too when I saw that pic. A ZS6 that might actually be comfortable. I'm just worried that the reduced internal volume of the body will make the high frequency crossover-less BAs sound even more shrill. That's why I'm hoping that the ZS10 will be a hit and inspire KZ to use crossovers more in their design.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #30,389 of 63,640
The first half sentence says "ZS10 is out," i think.

I can't read the rest so that's as far as I can go, haha.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #30,390 of 63,640

Personally I find all of the custom style KZ's in my inventory take a bit of tip rolling, fitting and fidgeting to find the comfort zone.

Some people mention brain burn in, I think ear burn in for lack of a better term, is real also.

In my melon, the ZSR is a tough one. Not sure if I have a calloused spot in my ears that the protrusion finally nestled in to, however many people smartier than me have said "there is no pleasure without some pain".

I actually maybe one of the only sicko fans that find the ZS6 comfortable out of the box with starlines. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back