Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #20,086 of 64,190
What's some good and cheap portable dac/amp to get for zs5? Using it on my android phone (oneplus 3)

Not sure if you'd notice a lot considering the biggest bottleneck in terms of changing the sound are the ZS5 by themselves by a mile, but I guess you could potentially benefit from at least getting a <2 Ohms output impedance to reach sufficient damping. Fiio A1 would do. That's just an amp, not a DAC. I really don't see how upgrading from the already sufficient OP3 onboard dac would get you any gains, but if you'd really want to try you could go for a Fiio K1 for instance. It probably won't work on a vanilla OP3 ROM. Verify which custom ROM has support for running the K1. Other options for just amplification are a good version of a CMOY amp (for instance the JDS Labs one) or the Topping NX1, if you can still find it. Not the NX1s considering its output impedance being already too high for 16 Ohm headphones. I'm not sure about the NX1a, can't find output impedance info on that.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #20,087 of 64,190
Just saw there's a new KZ model on gearbest: KZ ES3
20170819162356_14955.jpg

Looks like a 2nd gen ZST, dont you think?

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #20,088 of 64,190
I would love your thoughts on the H3 vs the ZS5s. Mostly cause I want to know if it's either better/different enough to warrant the purchase, because if it's a side grade or a tonal overlap might as well put my money towards something else.

I am comparing head to head the Kinera H3 with the TFZ Series 5S, both fed by a FiiO E10K from the computer.

To my ears I find them to be quite opposite in sound signature.

On one side you have the TFZ Series 5S that is rather bass heavy, to an extent that it is sometimes too prominent and eclipses the mids and highs.

On the other side you have the Kinera H3, that is rather bright, so much, that so obtain a decent level of bass I have to push up the volume, so much the highs get uncomfortable to listen to (If you turn down the volume the bass is very recessed). They can be silbant at times too.

Which one is better? None. (surprise!). If you had the bass of the TFZ Series 5S with the highs of the Kinera H3, although maybe very V shaped sound it would be my to go IEM. But both leave me looking for more.

Comfort wise, the Kinera H3 I find to be one of *the most* comfortable IEMS I have ever tried. In this respect, the KZ ZS3 is close.

As a side note, I find the TFZ Series 5S ($82) sound almost exactly like the KZ ZST ($19). I seriously cannot tell them apart.

Obviously this is my experience, my ears. I think I have some hearing impediment, because I can never hear all the differences between headphones so many people speak of (so it must be me).

So I would not recommend to buy one as an upgrade to the other (either way round). I do find the Kinera H3 to have a little more detail (due to the clear mids and highs) but lack of bass make them a no go for me.

If you need any other informatioon, or a more detailed comparison I will try and get back to work in a better way.

Best, Mr. J. Bob.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #20,089 of 64,190
What's some good and cheap portable dac/amp to get for zs5? Using it on my android phone (oneplus 3)
Topping NX2, with line amp and OTG DAC. For around 30 USD.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #20,090 of 64,190
I have the same finding with Kinera, highs is piercing to my ears although bass is enough to me. I find the sound V shaped. My problem is that after listening for 2 days, the bass on right side becomes on and off and probably needs replacement. Tried replacing wire using my zs5 cable but still have the same. The problem is I am out of the country working, so it takes time to replace it. Haaiyssst.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #20,091 of 64,190
Looking through the Gearbest specifications, sounds like its a single wide-frequency dynamic driver that's been the most recent trend in budget quality earphones. 20-40,000hz.

I see that in the Urbanfun Beryllium as well as the Adax HD06 , latter being highly rated by Vidal and loomisjohnson.

I also notice it being offered in a few similarly priced earphones that have just be introduced. Should make for some interesting listening !

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #20,094 of 64,190
I am comparing head to head the Kinera H3 with the TFZ Series 5S, both fed by a FiiO E10K from the computer.

To my ears I find them to be quite opposite in sound signature.

On one side you have the TFZ Series 5S that is rather bass heavy, to an extent that it is sometimes too prominent and eclipses the mids and highs.

On the other side you have the Kinera H3, that is rather bright, so much, that so obtain a decent level of bass I have to push up the volume, so much the highs get uncomfortable to listen to (If you turn down the volume the bass is very recessed). They can be silbant at times too.

Which one is better? None. (surprise!). If you had the bass of the TFZ Series 5S with the highs of the Kinera H3, although maybe very V shaped sound it would be my to go IEM. But both leave me looking for more.

Comfort wise, the Kinera H3 I find to be one of *the most* comfortable IEMS I have ever tried. In this respect, the KZ ZS3 is close.

As a side note, I find the TFZ Series 5S ($82) sound almost exactly like the KZ ZST ($19). I seriously cannot tell them apart.

Obviously this is my experience, my ears. I think I have some hearing impediment, because I can never hear all the differences between headphones so many people speak of (so it must be me).

So I would not recommend to buy one as an upgrade to the other (either way round). I do find the Kinera H3 to have a little more detail (due to the clear mids and highs) but lack of bass make them a no go for me.

If you need any other informatioon, or a more detailed comparison I will try and get back to work in a better way.

Best, Mr. J. Bob.
I agree with you about the Kinera H3. I got it just a day or 2 back and was having a hard time adjusting to its sound. It's sound signature is not the kind that's appealing to most. It's very bright to the point that it's actually fatiguing to listen to even with just a short listening session. Bass is pretty good in amount and clarity, it does goes deep and have a tight punch when you get a really good seal with it. The midrange on the other hand is very recessed in compared and sounded thin in presentation. The clarity and detail is no doubt what it does best. I find it even more resolving as compared to my TFZ King.

If it's not because of the overdone treble, everything else is very good. Comfort wise, fit wise, built wise. In fact when i take a look at the inner workings, it's so clean and neatly done and the drivers were separated with sound directed to the nozzle with a sound tube for each. This is an impressive feat that none other Chinese brand i had come across at this price range able to pull that off.

Guess this is the one IEM that i gonna live with EQ on it.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #20,096 of 64,190
I think it will be a little different from KZ's previous offerings to date.

I don't recall seeing one with a ultra wide frequency range driver though. Has there been one before???
The ZS5 in one of the infographics claims "Can still maintain a certain sensitivity response in 45 KHz frequency"
(gearbest now has the ZS5 listed with 7-46kHz)
The ZSE is listed at 20-45 kHz.

The BA (30095) is one of the ones found in the ZS5 (along with a 1205) - Amazon lists it (the 30095) as the "ultra high treble driver" :shrug:

(and the ZSE and ZS5 have 10mm DDs in them but that doesn't really mean much)

Kinda seems like it might be the two drivers that some people think dominate the ZS5's output?
(almost like KZ's going - wanna see?!)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #20,097 of 64,190
The ZS5 in one of the infographics claims "Can still maintain a certain sensitivity response in 45 KHz frequency"
(gearbest now has the ZS5 listed with 7-46kHz)
The ZSE is listed at 20-45 kHz.

The BA (30095) is one of the ones found in the ZS5 (along with a 1205) - Amazon lists it (the 30095) as the "ultra high treble driver" :shrug:

(and the ZSE and ZS5 have 10mm DDs in them but that doesn't really mean much)

Kinda seems like it might be the two drivers that some people think dominate the ZS5's output?
(almost like KZ's going - wanna see?!)
Who are they marketing these too - bats?

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #20,099 of 64,190
Who are they marketing these too - bats?
Well I think in theory (at least for DDs?) that a ridiculously high frequency response range means the driver is working over its well defined mid band through the entire audible frequency range, instead of at the edges of its possible range which can lead to a loss of coherence / detail and potentially introduce distortions (though they'll be sensed more than heard).

Or something like that?

Not sure how much of that applies to BAs though? :shrug:

The ZSE uses a 6.8mm and a 8mm driver in tandem. Not the same.
Oops, I think you're right... Amazon lists it as a 10... my google-fu has failed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back