Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #20,071 of 64,156
it's inevitable that after the initial wave of gushing praise for the latest-and-greatest, the more critical evaluations (as well as outright haters) come forward. personally, having spent more time with the zs5 i remain a fan, if not a cultist. as silverears states, it's not a highly transparent/resolving piece, and i still feel low end isn't seamlessly blended into the rest of the spectrum. however, they pass the most important test, which is how fun they are to listen to--i find myself grabbing them more often than my numerous other, more analytical/audiophile-tuned iems.
I bought about 10 sets of IEMs (all cheapish Chi-Fi models) when I joined this site a couple of months ago and the ZS5s are the ones I use most often. I'm sure they're far from perfect but I really don't think they sound artificial either.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #20,073 of 64,156
Are the KZ bluetooth balance? So far only Astell Kern has balance line out from a bluetooth device.
Xiomi bluetooth and Qcy bluetooth earphones could have separate amps for each channel, but no mention of balance.
Advance and AAW have balance MFi but no mention of bluetooth balance.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #20,074 of 64,156
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #20,076 of 64,156
No problem now, I managed to fix it with a very sophisticated technique.

2 hard taps on the earphone while i used it then the problem went away suddenly.

Universal tool

hammer2.gif

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #20,077 of 64,156
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #20,078 of 64,156
Thank goodness I haven't bought a ZS5 yet. Looks like I would buy this upcoming model instead when it finally comes out. I'm hoping though that just like ZS5, it would be available in 2 colors (here's hoping that the second color option is red). :smile:

Go ahead and order one of the $18 ZS5's from GearBest. You won't regret it. I'm listening to some electro-ambient with mine right now and the sound is stunning.

For those who are interested, I'm listening to Seamoon - Expression of the Moment.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #20,079 of 64,156
it's inevitable that after the initial wave of gushing praise for the latest-and-greatest, the more critical evaluations (as well as outright haters) come forward. personally, having spent more time with the zs5 i remain a fan, if not a cultist. as silverears states, it's not a highly transparent/resolving piece, and i still feel low end isn't seamlessly blended into the rest of the spectrum. however, they pass the most important test, which is how fun they are to listen to--i find myself grabbing them more often than my numerous other, more analytical/audiophile-tuned iems.

Actually, I think in the end, this is what things boil down to - do you enjoy using the iems to listen to music? If the answer is yes, then they are a success. I find myself doing the same thing with my ZS5's - I keep trying other iems (I just received my EMI CI-880's, and just listened to them), and keep coming back to the ZS5 because it is fun, and ticks enough of the boxes to be very enjoyable to just get wrapped up in the music.

I need to listen a lot more to the EMI's and to the MEMT-X5 that I just got, and to the Urbanfun HiFis which will show up later this week.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #20,080 of 64,156
So my ZS5, ZST and ATR arrived from GearBest all the way from China in 9 days.

I'm actually impressed with these compared to my expensive IEMs/headphones, especially considering how cheap they are.

The ZST sounds close to the ZS5 however the ATR's treble has less sparkle but sounds pleasantly smooth, certainly the best earbuds I've heard in its price range.

Should I get the ED12 and ZS3 as well? :D They're so cheap anyway.

I also noticed the KZ ES3, is this an old model?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #20,081 of 64,156
ED12 is the known dud of the KZ bunch iirc.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #20,084 of 64,156
Well if those are ZS5 successors and come at a decent price...
m6hm8zE.gif

(Even though I have only just got my ZS5s)

EDIT: Also this cable on AliExpress has ZS6 in the title as well. Looking at the picture the "ZS6" will have the same connectors as ZS5s or at least it looks like it so this might help support the ZS6 name and the legitimacy :) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...Dedicated-Cable-0-75mm-2-Pin/32812065485.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back