Klipsch Image S4?
Nov 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #166 of 629
Does anyone else think they fit weird? I have to wrap them around my ears for any bass response at all.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #167 of 629
Nope. Don't fit weird here. You are either using the wrong sized tip or the gels aren't working for you. I use a basic bi-flange tip, from an old pair of Etys, and bass is strong. And not using over the ear. When you say wrap them around your ears, you mean wearing them over the ear? I suggest you try straight down and use a shirt clip to reduce the downward cable tug.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #168 of 629
Yep might be the size your wearing. Have you burnt them in? They really shine after 70+ hours.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #169 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can get a fit with the included tips than stick with them, there's no reason to try the Sony tips because they are inferior in quality. The contoured tips do work nicely, and provide a better seal than the hybrid sony tips. At least that was my case.

I don't necessarily think that the Sony's are inferior in quality, but I do find them inferior in comfort.

We all know that tip choice is a major component of the overall sound presentation because of variances in fit, depth, isolation, etc. and that everyone's perception is a little different.

My advice is if you don't like the include tips for any reason, experiment. If you find something you really like, that's great! It's also how you learn about anything. This is a hobby, folks! It's supposed to be fun.

When it stops being fun, I'll try something else... like raising chinchillas or amateur surgery. I'm too old to try and become an underwear model.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #170 of 629
Hence, I said in my original reply "IF you can get a fit with the included tips"
icon10.gif

If that is the case, then one should try to adjust the sizes and positioning of the the headphone i.e. insertion angle is pushing up/down too much, or try wearing it upside down as a a possible suggestion.

In that case the stock tips beat the Sony Hybrids, but if the stocks don't fit then it's another story
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #171 of 629
Yeah, much like my Shure's, I have to wear them upside down.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #172 of 629
Hey everyone Just bought my s4's today and Wow they sound amazing out of the box. Doesn't mean their perfect cause I notice the hiss and some unrefined sounds out of the highs so I'm burning them in. Also I have a question would you recommend strait down wear or over the ear? I find the strait down sound to be more punchy compared to the over the ear which seems more smooth.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #173 of 629
tsarn, you may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I did not see it.
Did you try the grey Shure softflex sleeves with these?

Curious to know your thoughts if so. My S4's only have about 30 hours on them, but really digging them with these sleeves, even a bit more than the large gels.

Wondering what to do with my UM3x now...
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #174 of 629
Just stopping by to say that I've had these for about 3 days now, using them amped. Was going to get the Atrios M5s, but wanted to save some money. Mini-review:

Initial Impression: Boomy, muddy bass. Lacked clarity in highs. Soundstage was okay. Was thinking about returning them.
After 15 hours of burn-in: Bass tightened up. The highs were still masked by the muddy bass.
After 40 hours: Wow. Huge improvement. Just the right amount of bass, without the boomyness. The mids and highs became more forward. It was as if they could poke through the bass now. And the soundstage was phenomenal, felt like it was coming from around your head and not inside it. Less fatiguing and fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

After 60 hours: I figured out that wearing it over your ear (the way you are SUPPOSE to wear it *edit*) is better for bass as well as comfort. Great response throughout the frequency spectrum. Awesome. I found the perfect IEMs.

Conclusion: Do not judge these right away. Give them a chance to burn-in. I felt like I got a great deal for $80. They are extremely fun, involving and clear, though not very analytical & flat. I hear they get better until 100 hours. Looking forward to it. Well done Klipsch...

Musical preferences: Electro House, Trance, Soft Rock.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #175 of 629
Glad to know I (and others) are not crazy. Whether you believe in the burn-in thing or not, I don't care. These phones change over time. If you have patience with them, you will be rewarded. But that reference to over the ear being the correct way to wear them, can you post a link. I found this page on the S4, and the photo clearly shows the woman wearing them down.

Image S4 Headphones - In Ear Headphones, Stereo Headphones, Earphones, Earbuds - Free Shipping - 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Overview

It's a moot point for me cause with either the modded tri-flanges or the UM56s I use, wearing them down is comfy with great results. I always use a shirt clip, so no gravity tug. Also, the S4/S2 user's manual PDF shows a graphic of the proper insertion and it's definitely down, not over the ear. Just curious.

Anyway, glad you like them.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #176 of 629
It's funny, my experience with the S4's has been exactly the same as yours. I first put them in and was completely disappointed. I was sad that I would probably have to return them.

However, they've completely changed over the course of 3 weeks and I always look forward to using them. I love how it gives a lot of spatial separation to the music. They just sound natural and fun.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #177 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tsarn, you may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I did not see it.
Did you try the grey Shure softflex sleeves with these?

Curious to know your thoughts if so. My S4's only have about 30 hours on them, but really digging them with these sleeves, even a bit more than the large gels.

Wondering what to do with my UM3x now...
confused_face_2.gif

yes, tried them and for awhile, liked them too. It was a tossup between the soft flex and the Ety gray bi-flanges (and old pair that are the perfect size for my ears. I think they are sold for the er6i). But I ended up settling for the flanges over the flex. But both worked very well. For whatever reason, I feel the bi-flanges sound a bit better than the gels, and the comfort is fine for me. But remember, I got lucky and found the UM56s also work with the S4s, and they are the best tips by far, albeit at $115 (and that was an excellent price).

You are liking the S4s more than the UM3X? Interesting. I have to say, I know what you mean sometimes. Please, no flaming. Just saying that when I switch to the S4s, I don't feel let down. But they are very different phones.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #178 of 629
Nov 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #180 of 629
Just purchased my first set of IEM last week, the Altec Lansing Backbeat Pro UHP606. I wasn't sure what to expect, but had high hopes. Even after burn-in, I'm not really impressed. They sound kinda dead, I'm missing a lot of the overtones, but detail is good. Bass does NOT go down to 20hz like the package says, but it's decent. I'm listening over my laptop headphone out, noticed it's quite a bit better than my old portable CD player.

I'm a audiophile and love listening to music. My system consists of a big Adcom amp pushing some Infinty Kappa 7.1s with a Proceed AVP preamp and a Sunfire TrueSub Signature. I've never considered using headphones, but now need to keep the sound down at night.

The BackBeat Pros seem OK, definitely meets my needs, but after reading this thread I'm thinking of trading out for these IS4s. I think I could do a straight trade a Best Buy for them.

Anyone tried both? Is there a massive difference? I know I'm not going to get the imaging and overall experiece I get from my big stereo, but I'd like some phones that have a more open/alive sound. These BBPros just seem kinda dull. Also, some deeper bass would be nice, just not a boomy bass. Seems that after burn-in with the IS4s, that's not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back