Klipsch Image S4?
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #136 of 629
so i think i read somewhere that the cables were pretty thin? i was just wondering about that..are they like the er6i?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #137 of 629
Got mine today. Burning them in right now. Like most of you said they sound terrible at first. 50 hours to go.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #138 of 629
Keep going, though a few other recent buyers say they could not shake the sss's. Mine sound fine, no harshness. Maybe it is hit or miss? Who knows?

Oh, and burn them in at a little higher than usual listening volume.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #139 of 629
I have tried burning in headphones in the past and have never been able to detect a change. However, with these, it did make a world of difference. I was so dissapointed with the bass, too loud and boomy, I needed to use bass reduction with my iPod (go figure) just to be able to listen to them. Finally, I hooked them up one more time and let them cook to well done and all be darned if the sound signiture didn't change dramatically. They now sound real nice, good bass, mids, and his.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #140 of 629
I'm also experiencing regret after trying these headphones right out of the box, after spending a good hour on the equaliser on my Cowon S9, I have managed to make these IEMs sound okay, however they do not sound like an $80 improvement over the stock phones. I hope this 50hr pink noise burn in will do something...

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #141 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and burn them in at a little higher than usual listening volume.

I'm burning them with music on my iriver H10 @ Vol. 20(what I usually use) I'll bump it up to 30 then. Thanks tstarn06!

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #142 of 629
i owned the s4s for about 3 days and the right earphone stopped working.
i have to admit i have never burned in earphones before, but these earphones sounded really good to me, espeically when using a rock EQ setting.
i liked the power and delivery of the bass. the highs were slightly too harsh. the mids were not great IMO - the precision didnt seem to be there.
i wanted to get a replacement but they want to refund me. i think im going to invest in some westone 3s and see how i get on with them.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #143 of 629
So they sounded good to you, but the precision wasn't there? Westone 3s are a completely different animal. If your ears work with them, they are very nice, and offer a richer experience than the S4s. But if your ears don't work with them, the sibilance will have you sending them back. I owned them and sold them for the UM3X. Read the W3 threads, the main problem with them is some folks had sibilance issues with shorter tips, including me. When I used the tri-flanges (stalk modded), the sibilance disappeared but then I had to bump the treble EQ. A real pain. Now, I have the UM56 sleeves, so they might be perfect, but no matter. Good luck with your W3 experience.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #144 of 629
It only took about 25 hours to tighten the bass on mine, by playing the music collection on my Zune. The trebles started cooling off around 40-50 hours. Tstarn is right about raising the volume for cooking.

If you can't get the trebles to cool with music or pink noise, I'd crank up prolonged periods (overnight and longer) of white noise at a significant volume above listening level.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #145 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i think i read somewhere that the cables were pretty thin? i was just wondering about that..are they like the er6i?

I don't know if you got your answer but i didn't see one. The cables are pretty thin but stronger i don't feel like they are about to break or anything. I guess this must help with microphonics cos i don't hear any.

Sorry i don't know anything about the er6i.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #146 of 629
just picked these up and will be starting burn in...

coming from SCL3, the difference in bass is VERY appreciable, though it seems murky and bloated. i hope this settles in with burn in. same with the reported high-end harshness, which I noticed, though really it's not horrible.

I"m using this set for the gym and it's giving me the bass I wanted. The tradeoff seems midrange detail - which actually is significant to me after listening to the SCL3 for so long. I notice it most in acoustic tracks, where guitars and vocals used to shine more.

Now, does the PFE's bass fall b/w the S4 and SCL3 (which is anemic to me)? If it's enough, then maybe the PFE is best for me.

Anyone want to weigh in on S4 vs PFE, vs HF2, vs UE4?

Which tip on the S4 gets the best isolation?

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #147 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by maingarden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just picked these up and will be starting burn in...

coming from SCL3, the difference in bass is VERY appreciable, though it seems murky and bloated. i hope this settles in with burn in. same with the reported high-end harshness, which I noticed, though really it's not horrible.

I"m using this set for the gym and it's giving me the bass I wanted. The tradeoff seems midrange detail - which actually is significant to me after listening to the SCL3 for so long. I notice it most in acoustic tracks, where guitars and vocals used to shine more.

Now, does the PFE's bass fall b/w the S4 and SCL3 (which is anemic to me)? If it's enough, then maybe the PFE is best for me.

Anyone want to weigh in on S4 vs PFE, vs HF2, vs UE4?

Which tip on the S4 gets the best isolation?

I would say that the large tip gets the best isolation with my ears.

And if by HF2 you meant the grado HF2. Then i would say the they are similar in presentation. As in they both very forward cans with a brightish sound sig. However the grado excels in the details and soundstage and just general musicality. The s4 has better isolation and doesn't leak sound but that is due to the HF2s being open. But then there is also a 5 time difference in the price. Sorry my thoughts are a little all over the place but if you have any more questions i will be gladly answer them.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #148 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that the large tip gets the best isolation with my ears.

And if by HF2 you meant the grado HF2. Then i would say the they are similar in presentation. As in they both very forward cans with a brightish sound sig. However the grado excels in the details and soundstage and just general musicality. The s4 has better isolation and doesn't leak sound but that is due to the HF2s being open. But then there is also a 5 time difference in the price. Sorry my thoughts are a little all over the place but if you have any more questions i will be gladly answer them.

i was thinking etymotic HF2, actually. The grado version seems amazing and I"m jealous you have it. I'm currently enjoying my Ms1is.

so far:
S4 shines on the low end - and my initial listen is that it THUMPS my SCL3. difference is that it falls way short of the SCL3 detail, like it's under water.

I'd like to hear how the S4 compares with UE4, HF2, and even PFE in DETAIL. can anyone compare?

I"m looking for a compromise with the midrange detail of SCL3 with the bottom end of the S4, or less, as it's more than enough coming from the weak SCL3. should i wait for PFE rev.2 or is it too weak in the low end?

It seems to me that to get what i'm looking for, i might have to make the jump to the high end - westone 3, shure 530, UE 10, etc...for now i'm going to enjoy this full sounding S4.

unless you got something better...!

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #149 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you got your answer but i didn't see one. The cables are pretty thin but stronger i don't feel like they are about to break or anything. I guess this must help with microphonics cos i don't hear any.

Sorry i don't know anything about the er6i.

thanks for answering my question..i decided to not get the s4 but get something of an upgrade to ie7 as soon as i get enough money heh

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #150 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by wow416 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by far i have to say s4 is superior (to me) out of the products that I've used so far.
I actually really liked bose around ear but that's probably because that was the only can headphones i've used.
s4 is solid with the larger tips. I don't like the S4 with the M tips because then i get too much bass.
I guess some people hybridized with sonys and apparently, that's good?
I'm not gonna bother. I will keep these until probably, next generation comes out?
I used to like BA IEMs especially the SCL3, but dynamic just sounds more natural to me.
Definitely, BA may play the notes on dot as they are more sensitive?
why am i writing an essay here....
out

I couldn't agree more!
I am also coming from SCL3 so there will be head burn-in too with these. I'm on 48 hours now and counting.

Yes, the switch to the L gels made a HUGE difference in tempering the bass. The bass is not as quick as the SCL3, and the L gels don't isolate nearly as well as the shure olives. At the same time, some tracks I didn't listen to previously because of the lack of low-end I"m taking another crack at, particularly at the gym. Grizzly Bear sounds much better. I can stand listening to the Walkmen now too. Things like Radiohead and acoustic numbers sound slightly better on the SCL3 b/c of the midrange detail.

Overall, S4 so far warmer than the SCL3, and overall more fun. Isolates just enough for the gym.

Is there an affordable option that captures the strength of both?
Does the PFE has bass that is better than SCL3 or just barely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back