Klipsch Image S4?
Nov 14, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #181 of 629
I can't comment on the 606s [although I almost bought em, but opted to get ADDIEMs], but what you described [alive sound + deeper but not boomy bass] sounds very much like my experiences with the S4s. I was afraid of losing clarity as a result of the 'alive sound', but I'm getting nice instrument separation, as well as a nice bottom end of the spectrum.

I'm not sure exactly what type of music you're into, but for the music I like (jazz, electronic, hip-hop, and orchestral classical), they're anything but 'kinda dead', as you described your dissatisfaction.

However, I think that for the price, [amazon's showing them on sale for 25$], the 606s may be a better value, if not sounding pair. I'm kinda tempted to pick them up, to fulfill my curiosity, but I'm quite content with the variety I have with ADDIEM + S4. If you have any song/genre specific queries, let me know!

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #182 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I was misled on a post by another forum thinking it was an official statement. But the man seems to have proof that this is the right way to wear em. Here's the link anyways:

Getting The Most Out Of S4 Headphones - Professor Thump

Thanks for this. I borrowed these from a friend and I found them to be incredibly uncomfortable at first (wearing them down), but this way the fit is perfect and the seal is great. They are extremely comfortable now. I don't even notice them in my ear.

smile.gif

Edit: I have been listening to them for two hours straight now and I am getting a headache from the bass. Does burn-in chill that out a bit or will I need to use EQ? Perhaps my ears just don't like bass very much. After all, I was incredibly happy with my previous Nuforce NE-8's. I thought the bass was just right for me, but reading the reviews on them, most say they have no bass at all!

With that being the case, RE-0s may be right for me.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #183 of 629
The bass will settle in with burn-in, though not sure how it will affect you personally. Also, you can EQ the bass down a tick, for now. Not sure how they could be incredibly uncomfortable down, to be honest. Maybe somewhat, but incredibly?

Anyway, maybe the RE0s are more for you considering your view of the NE-8.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #184 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass will settle in with burn-in, though not sure how it will affect you personally. Also, you can EQ the bass down a tick, for now. Not sure how they could be incredibly uncomfortable down, to be honest. Maybe somewhat, but incredibly?

Anyway, maybe the RE0s are more for you considering your view of the NE-8.

Well we do all have different ears. And actually, I just completely cut off all frequencies from 75Hz and down and I love the sound again. It sounds a lot like the NE-8's, but a good bit better! I love it!

bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #185 of 629
Excellent. Didn't mean to impugn you ears. I guess it's hard to imagine that much discomfort with these. But you are right. My bad. And glad the S4s are now sound good to you. I really do think they are an excellent value phone if given a chance. And while they may not be the RE0s for detail, their detail is not muddled nor missing.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #186 of 629
I bought a pair today, and have been listening to them pretty consistently over the last six hours or so. I have to say, these blow the Bose In-Ear out of the water.

I've been looking for a good entry level IEM recently. I'm a programmer and there are often conversations in my workspace as I work in a space with other developers. These conversations can often pull my attention away from my work, and I've found that a good set of headphones with music going can help me immensely to focus. Over the past year or so I've been using the Bose QC3, which I love (yes, I like the sound being "warm" in the mid-low range, and the QC3's have given me just that). The downside to the QC3s however is the "on-the-ear" pain that can happen after a while, especially if you wear glasses, hence my search for a good IEM.

I first tried some el-cheapo Philips from Target, but was relatively unimpressed with the bass capabilities and started hearing some buzzing rather early on, so I took them back and purchased a PUR-80 IEM from a company called "Pure", which is apparently a subset of Empire Brands. While I liked them better than the Target pair, they still sounded somewhat muddled.

So today, I ran to Best Buy and bought the S4, based on reading some reviews here and on Amazon, and was somewhat overwhelmed by the bass at first. That being said, it seems to have settled just a bit, but of course, it could simply be the music I'm listening to and the fact that I've changed to the larger tips. In any case, I find the detail and clarity in these headphones very surprising. This is indeed a good purchase for the price.

Oddly enough, the fact that I can't feel them in my ears half the time has had an almost reverse effect for me being more distracting than I thought it would be. I'm so used to the feeling of IEMs stuck in my ear, that it feels odd to not feel them as much, but somewhat refreshing.

In any case, if you guys are right about burn-in time, I'm really excited to see how this is going to sound in a couple of weeks.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #188 of 629
OK, just swaped out the Altec Lansing BackBeat Pros for these at BB. First thing I'm noticing is the bass is quite pronounced, a little boomy/muddy. From what everyone's saying, this should settle down after a while. These do reach much lower than the BBPros, VERY nice in the deep stuff. Playing one of my Bach Organ CDs, the pedel notes are there! Really happay about this.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure about 10Hz, but I'm sure they hit 20Hz easy and even a little lower.

They're also much more comfortable than the BBPros. I'm using the large tips, and had to use the large ones with the BBPros.

The S4s also have a much more "alive" sound, much improved overtones over the BBPros. Still looking for more detail, but maybe I'm expecting too much from headphones. Maybe it'll change with burn-in. Also, an amp will probably change things as well, using my laptop at the moment. I'll look into that in the near future.

I'm really glad I found this thread, I definitely traded up! It's also nice that I only paid $30 for them. BBPros and the S4s are marked at $80 at Best Buy, but I got the Pros from Amazon for $30. Even swap at BB.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #189 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, just swaped out the Altec Lansing BackBeat Pros for these at BB. First thing I'm noticing is the bass is quite pronounced, a little boomy/muddy. From what everyone's saying, this should settle down after a while. These do reach much lower than the BBPros, VERY nice in the deep stuff. Playing one of my Bach Organ CDs, the pedel notes are there! Really happay about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

They're also much more comfortable than the BBPros. I'm using the large tips, and had to use the large ones with the BBPros.

The S4s also have a much more "alive" sound, much improved overtones over the BBPros. Still looking for more detail, but maybe I'm expecting too much from headphones. Maybe it'll change with burn-in. Also, an amp will probably change things as well, using my laptop at the moment. I'll look into that in the near future.

I'm really glad I found this thread, I definitely traded up! It's also nice that I only paid $30 for them. BBPros and the S4s are marked at $80 at Best Buy, but I got the Pros from Amazon for $30. Even swap at BB.
smily_headphones1.gif

What the hell?! $30 S4s is a steal
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you liked them.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #190 of 629
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

where you get s4 for 30????
angry_face.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #192 of 629
It is pretty obvious I suppose, but the S4 and S4i are completely the same sound-wise. The S4i have a straight plug whereas the S4 have an L-shaped one. And of course the S4i has the control box on them. I have both in my possession.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #193 of 629
Quote:

Just went to Best Buy and asked if I could swap them out.

That's insanely awesome of them. With a receipt, I would not have expected that.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #194 of 629
So now I've had a week with these headphones, and here's how they've changed for me over the past week. I've listened to these about 10 hours a day for the past week, as well as letting them burn in overnight. There were definitely moments when I strongly considered taking them back to the store, but those moments are over now.

When I first got them, the bass was loud, but not overpowering (for me anyways, as I tend to like bass more than the treble.) The bass has settled a bit and is a little more laid back than it was at the first.

The upper range was sometimes extremely harsh, and there was some pretty heavy sibilance, especially when listening to certain albums. (I remember feeling fatigue after listening to Kings of Convenience's Riot on an Empty Street album due to the excessive sibilance in every "s" they would say. It had been described as an "icepick in my ear" by someone else on the forum, and I can relate to that. The good news is that the sibilance is almost completely gone at this point. I'm listening to the same album right now as I write this, and the s's sound much more natural and normal.

All in all, I'd say this is an excellent purchase. The one thing to be wary of, however, is that these phones do have a high level of detail for a pair that costs $80. I've found myself in the last week getting frustrated with certain albums while listening to them through these phones, mainly because production quality will make a huge difference in whether the album sounds good or not. I posted earlier about Norah Jones' first album having a bit of compressor difficulties with her voice on the first track, and those are still brought out by the headphones. I'm convinced at this point it's not the headphones, but rather the mastering on the disc itself. If that kind of thing distracts you, you may be happier and more liberated without these headphones. If you like to hear every detail as clearly as you can, but you're still on a budget, I'd definitely suggest these.

Also, these headphones might not be the best to get if you're a heavy classical listener. I feel like the strength in these headphones are pop, electronic, rock and jazz. Anything with plenty of percussion will sound wonderful. The S4's naturally warm sound can make classical music sound a slight bit muffled at times, especially when listening to small ensemble music. Again, the sound signature might become more balanced over the next couple of weeks, but I'm not counting on anything at this point. That being said, I can say that upright bass in a jazz or bluegrass style music sounds excellent on these phones. Robert Plant and Alison Krause's Raising Sand sounds amazing on these, as does Jon Hopkin's Insides album.

As for comfort, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pair that feels so comfortable in your ears. I can wear these constantly without any fatigue at all.

They're definitely worth a listen, but you'll need to be patient enough to burn them in before you'll be able to hear the advantages of this particular pair. The burn-in time is significant, and truly makes a huge difference.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #195 of 629
Very nice review. Pretty much mirrors my experience with the S4s. Almost, almost returned them to Klipsch in the first few days when I took possession of them (bought them for my wife for the small gels). She now has a Touch, so moved to ADDIEMs. Anyway, for once in my life, I gave them time to come aruond, showed some patience, and I believe the rewards are there. I have been listening to the Cowon S9 I got yesterday with the S4s and wow, that is really a powerful SQ combo.

Glad the S4s finally came around for you too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back