Klipsch Image S4?
Dec 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #211 of 629
Thanks for pointing the sibilance thing. I'll dig a little deeper to find out other good IEMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMorton
In any case, buy them from a place that has a return policy,

That's my main problem. Very few stores here stock earphones other than Philips, Apple, or Dr Dre Beats. Even worse, the return policy for most stores here in the Philippines is that you can only return stuff that's broken. You can't return stuff just because you made a wrong choice. Still, I'll look for specialty audio stores and give them a call.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #212 of 629
Don't hear me saying to dig deeper to find another IEM. Hear me saying "be patient with the S4s and they'll reward you".

What kind of music do you typically listen to? If the music you listen to doesn't have sibilance in it very much, you're probably fine with the S4s.

In all honesty I don't notice any sibilance with the S4s anymore unless I'm listening to certain albums, and I'm looking for it.

If I were you, I'd end my search with the S4 and take the plunge.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #213 of 629
Come to think of it, I really don't have any sibilant tracks in my collection.
jecklinsmile.gif

I've made up my mind now. I'll go with the S4.
atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #214 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come to think of it, I really don't have any sibilant tracks in my collection.
jecklinsmile.gif

I've made up my mind now. I'll go with the S4.
atsmile.gif

You've chosen wisely!

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and thankful to have joined since I benefited tremendously from all of the great commentary regarding headphones/IEMs in this thread. I too have been searching for an alternative pair of headphones for my Bose Noise-Canceling QC2s. I needed a pair of more versatile, portable, high-quality in-ear type headphones that I would be able to use for walking, exercising, and sleeping. While my Bose QC2s have performed adequately for travel, at-home use, and other circumstances under which I wasn't exercising, or had concern about damaging the headphones by falling asleep in them, I needed a pair to be used everywhere. The challenge for me was the following: How could I achieve, or at least come close to achieving the sort of high-quality sound on-the-go to which I've become accustomed at home?

While I do not consider myself an "audiophile" per se, I have been playing music on the piano since the age of three. Although initially trained in classical music, I have grown to appreciate a wide range of genres. I later discovered that I could play almost anything I heard without sheet music. To bring my quick intro and bio to a close (thanks for reading), I have always used audiophile-grade components in my home to listen to music and I favor a warm, bass-oriented overall sound, although not at the expense of a significant loss in detail at high frequencies. So in sum, I love music, could properly be called a musician, but do not perform as a professional.

As this discussion relates to the search for a great pair of in-ear headphones, I will say that I am very thankful to all who posted here since the information in this thread ultimately led me to what I believe was the best IEMs for me, the Klipsch Image S4.

Having been exposed to so many different brands of audio components, I first looked to some of the "cream-of-the-crop" in IEM manufacturers: Shure, Ultimate Ear, Klipsch, Bose, and many others. My budget was $100-$200. My requirements were to find IEMs that had excellent bass response with an overall clear dynamic range of sound.

For $80, I discovered the Klipsch Image S4 headphones to provide the best value for the money. While these earphones might appear to be small and flimsy, they provide extremely robust, clear, and dynamic sound. I had never before used any in-ear headphones above the quality of those provided with any portable music-playing device I've ever purchased including my iPods. Needless to say, when I first heard the sound emanating from these small Klipsch Image S4 phones, I was simply in awe. I chose the Image S4 because the reviews I read from a wide range of sources seemed to almost unanimously proclaim this product as the best in its class. Although the Klipsch was CNET's Editor's Choice for May 2009, I have never relied completely on their reviews; however, in this case, they got it right.

Upon my first sampling of these earphones, I found it necessary to switch the comfortable silicon tips to the largest size (which still aren't quite large enough), but I managed to achieve a seal by repositioning them. Wearing these definitely felt different, but not at all uncomfortable. My first impression of the sound was it was great, but a bit "hissy" on the highs and just a bit too loud overall. The bass response became excellent once I achieved a seal. It didn't sound muddy or too punchy, but had good depth. If one is seeking a super punchy bass set of IEMs to listen to rap or hip hop music at extremely high volume levels, these headphones would probably not be the best choice since bass does distort somewhat at higher volume levels. For most however, I believe the bass will be more than adequate.

What impressed me most was the fantastic range of sound characterized by detail, depth, and clarity that these headphones produced. Since I initially felt duty-bound to at least try the Bose In-Ear headphones because of my bass-bias, I ultimately tried them last, immediately after the S4s. Compared to the Klipsch phones, I personally found the Bose to be painfully muddy, lacking in any clarity, and completely inferior to the Klipsch when it came to bass response. I was actually surprised at the poor quality of sound produced by the Bose In-Ears, but I understand that each person's sound preferences differ. I just felt the Klipsch to be in an entirely different class, far above the Bose...and I've loved many Bose components in the past.

The bottom line: For the price, I believe the Klipsch Image S4s are indeed the best value for the money in their class and indeed do perform as well as other headphones costing at least twice as much.

I hope this review will be helpful to anyone that is torn between the many brands available and dreads having to go through the laborious process (that I did) of trying so many different IEMs.

Best wishes and happy holiday greetings to all!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #217 of 629
Yep, Welcome!

I'm a recovering Bose IE addict myself. I've had the QC2 (first and second editions), QC3, and the In-Ear headphones. While I still enjoy the QC3 I have right now to some extent, I have to agree with you on your Bose IE review. Compared to the S4, the Bose In-Ear don't hold a candle.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #218 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMorton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, Welcome!

I'm a recovering Bose IE addict myself. I've had the QC2 (first and second editions), QC3, and the In-Ear headphones. While I still enjoy the QC3 I have right now to some extent, I have to agree with you on your Bose IE review. Compared to the S4, the Bose In-Ear don't hold a candle.

Precisely. I know there is much rivalry among audiophiles with regard to different brands, so I did my best to focus in on just two specific products since both manufacturers make excellent components in different areas. I didn't want to garner any animosity among those who love Bose, or dislike Klipsch. In my view, both manufacturers have long been producing audiophile-grade products, although to me, Klipsch, for the most part, has not really produced as many "budget-friendly" items as Bose. I've also been very familiar with Klipsch's products used in theaters and studios, so I thought why not give them in a try in this realm?

After reading extensively on this site, I couldn't help but notice the great volume of discussion regarding the "burning in" of the Klipsch S4s. I'm a bit embarrassed, but nonetheless honest when I say that in all of my years of handling high-grade audio equipment, I have never heard of the concept of "burning in" speakers. The only issue relating to speakers that ever concerned me was either under-powering them (which might result in distortion), or over-powering them which might result in detonation! lol However, I'm an open-minded, reasonable person, always willing to learn. I just couldn't understand how performing a "burn in" on the S4s would make them sound better. The only aspect of this concept, technically speaking, that I could think of is that running speakers with any rubber, foam material, or any moving parts at a high volume would only serve to loosen up or perhaps even rupture the material in the headphones resulting in diminishing SQ over time. I've read just about every post here regarding this issue and I know it can be a contentious one, but can any one provide a very simple, brief, and concise explanation as to exactly how the "burn in" process actually makes the Klipsch S4s sound better? I performed some "burn in" (without listening to the headphones) based on what I read in this thread for a total now of about 8-10 hours on my three-day-old S4s and really don't notice much of a difference. I again wish to extend my thanks to any of the experts here who would be kind enough to explain this phenomenon as it relates to the S4s.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm happy to know so many of you chose these IEMs as well and look forward to sharing and learning with everyone.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #219 of 629
Well, SeaBreezer, it's like this. I bought them for my wife (I had the X10s at the time), but when I listened to them out of the box, I noticed an annoying harshness on several of my audition tracks (I pick the same ones because I know them best). I was about to send them back, but decided that since they are dynamics (as opposed to balanced armatures), I would hook them up to my PC and using a combo of pink noise and loud music, I would run them in for oh, 100 hours, and see if they changed at all. Lo and behold when I took them off, they sounded much better to my ears. So I sold my X10s, got my wife some ADDIEMs (she now has a Touch) and kept the S4s for myself.

No science, no explanations. It just worked for me, Judge Buff, DavidMorton and some other owners. Some S4 owners report not hearing any sibilance out of the box, some owners claim it was enough to drive them to return them or sell of them off, no matter how many hours they have. Some kept them, but claim they can only use them in short bursts because they cause fatigue. Go figure.

Longer story short, different strokes and all that. To me, they are a blessing for the price, and they especially sound good with all my players (see list below). But if you are not hearing the early harshness, all the better for you.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #220 of 629
I've had these for a few days now, and I just can't get over the bloated midbass on these things. Low strings on an acoustic guitar sound twice as loud as it should. I like the sound of my trusty PX100's better. Comfort is good though.

They are going back to Best Buy.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #221 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, SeaBreezer, it's like this. I bought them for my wife (I had the X10s at the time), but when I listened to them out of the box, I noticed an annoying harshness on several of my audition tracks (I pick the same ones because I know them best). I was about to send them back, but decided that since they are dynamics (as opposed to balanced armatures), I would hook them up to my PC and using a combo of pink noise and loud music, I would run them in for oh, 100 hours, and see if they changed at all. Lo and behold when I took them off, they sounded much better to my ears. So I sold my X10s, got my wife some ADDIEMs (she now has a Touch) and kept the S4s for myself.

No science, no explanations. It just worked for me, Judge Buff, DavidMorton and some other owners. Some S4 owners report not hearing any sibilance out of the box, some owners claim it was enough to drive them to return them or sell of them off, no matter how many hours they have. Some kept them, but claim they can only use them in short bursts because they cause fatigue. Go figure.

Longer story short, different strokes and all that. To me, they are a blessing for the price, and they especially sound good with all my players (see list below). But if you are not hearing the early harshness, all the better for you.

Thanks for writing tstarn06! I actually did have trouble during my very first sampling of the S4s with piercing treble and was not initially able to achieve any sort of bass response until I found the proper tips and sealed them as best I could. By the way, even the largest tip doesn't seem to be quite large enough, so I'll probably need some advice as to where I might find a better alternative.

In any event, the high frequency bias remains in the S4s, but I have either become used to it, or it has actually toned down a bit. I can't say definitively. I guess that's where the enigma lies...although these properties should be able to be measured scientifically.

Ultimately, I'm happy with them and hope that the burning in process is true since these particular headphones stood out well among all the rest in consideration of all of the factors I mentioned in my initial post.

Thanks again for commenting and happy holidays!

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #222 of 629
similar for me. the bass out of the box was very bloated and something i expected out of a $20 earphone but got better over time. theres still some sibilance but not enough to get me annoyed. i think im around 80-90 hours by now..maybe more but it sounds a lot better than when i first got them.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #223 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had these for a few days now, and I just can't get over the bloated midbass on these things. Low strings on an acoustic guitar sound twice as loud as it should. I like the sound of my trusty PX100's better. Comfort is good though.

They are going back to Best Buy.

Always good to go with trusty.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #224 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
similar for me. the bass out of the box was very bloated and something i expected out of a $20 earphone but got better over time. theres still some sibilance but not enough to get me annoyed. i think im around 80-90 hours by now..maybe more but it sounds a lot better than when i first got them.

Let me know how it goes. If the piercing sibilance doesn't tone down enough, I may end up bringing them back and paying the $250+ it'll probably cost for me to obtain the type of sound I'm looking to get. It'll be a bummer since the S4s show such promise.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #225 of 629
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had these for a few days now, and I just can't get over the bloated midbass on these things. Low strings on an acoustic guitar sound twice as loud as it should.

I lower my Rockbox'd Sansa's 200hz by 2.5db and that seems to give me just the right amount of midbass to make things sound full but not bloated. Everything else I leave flat. You might want to try this first. These things are VERY good for the money.

I am listening to some Mozart right now. Recording by Telarc in FLAC format. Just wonderful. I took the wife to see the Nutcracker the other night so I had the sound of an Orchestra fresh in my mind and these S4's sound so close to what I heard. The midrange in particular sounds very close. My PFE's sound too thin on orchestral music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back