King of kings
Jan 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Maybe the most important point for me is 2: I´m searching for very detailed sound even at low volume.

HD800 are going to give you your hyper-detail, separation, soundstage... However, you could easily find yourself bored by it since there are tons of people who find the sound to be artificial and unrealistic. Especially if I focus on genres you like. It will also reveal any imperfection within your music or gear (amp, DAC).

You should look into LCD-3 most probably... It's going to give you a good imaging and soundstage along with the best bass and full mids. But still, my recommendation goes with LCD-2 since it's more affordable and you will be given a natural listening experience. It's not a "hifi/technical" sound, it's very realistic. Unlike HD800 (from my experience).

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 78
Quote:
Maybe the most important point for me is 2: I´m searching for very detailed sound even at low volume.

'Stats, as obob suggested. Just make sure you don't need isolation from other sounds in your house. They have none, effectively. For $1k you're looking at the Koss rig, basic Stax rig or vintage Stax pretty much.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Based on your genre preference, I would choose LCD-2 or HE-500. Both easy to drive and should sound great with your music. Both have nice extended bass along with full mids and not overpowered highs, in general.

X2 Yeah based on your music taste I'd look into these.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 78
The GS-1000 might be a good candidate if you want low volume performance - that's something they get consistently revered for (it's due to how their voiced to an extent), but again, no isolation - so like currawong said; if you *need* isolation, all of these are a bad choice (and you should look at closed headphones - basically).

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 78
Quote:

HD800 are going to give you your hyper-detail, separation, soundstage... However, you could easily find yourself bored by it since there are tons of people who find the sound to be artificial and unrealistic. Especially if I focus on genres you like. It will also reveal any imperfection within your music or gear (amp, DAC).

You should look into LCD-3 most probably... It's going to give you a good imaging and soundstage along with the best bass and full mids. But still, my recommendation goes with LCD-2 since it's more affordable and you will be given a natural listening experience. It's not a "hifi/technical" sound, it's very realistic. Unlike HD800 (from my experience).

Thanks for your answer RustA.

I want to find headphones wich reveals every detail of my music and good separation between instruments... but I don't want aseptic sound.

I want to find headphones wich reveals every detail of my music and good separation between instruments and I want to feel warm mids and natural/real voices too.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Thanks for your answer RustA.

I want to find headphones wich reveals every detail of my music and good separation between instruments... but I don't want aseptic sound.

I want to find headphones wich reveals every detail of my music and good separation between instruments and I want to feel warm mids and natural/real voices too.

I would go with LCD-3 to be honest... Seriously.

(and if you don't like the sound, you could pass them to me, haha)

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #22 of 78
I've read two excelent articles.

Inner Fidelity: "Comparing world-class headphones"
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

Quote:
"The surprisingly good headphone of the bunch was the HE-500. They held their own surprisingly well in world-class company. No,they didn't have the liquid juicy goodness of the LCD-2, but they did sound somewhat more "right down the middle." I'd say these had the best price performance ratio on the table, and might get a stronger recommendation from me than the LCD-2, as they were a bit more tight and neutral, and possibly more likely to satisfy a wider range of tastes. I'd say these are not only great listening cans, but also great headphones for professionals who want something more pleasantly listenable than the HD 800".

Headfonia: "Triple Schiit: Asgard, Valhala and Lyr"
http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

Quote:
"The Asgard is the warmest and smoothest sounding of the three".

"The Asgard had a more linear frequency balance without being flat or boring or sterile or all that nasty stuff".

"I think that the Asgard hold a special spot in the comparison not only because of its $249 price tag (hence best value for dollar), but it also happens to have the smoothest and most coherent overall sound, while hitting the bass and mids areas properly and even adding a superior soundstage to the mix".

"I also found that the Asgard is a very nice amp for both the Hifiman HE-500 and the Hifiman HE-4 headphones, though not powerful enough for the HE-6".

What do you think about HE-500 + Asgard combo?

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #23 of 78
Quote:
I've read two excelent articles.

Inner Fidelity: "Comparing world-class headphones"
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

Headfonia: "Triple Schiit: Asgard, Valhala and Lyr"
http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

What do you think about HE-500 + Asgard combo?

I would rather go for LCD-2 and Lyr (tube amps) / Objective2... or HE-500 and... maybe LugBug1 would recommend something suitable?

The thing you need to realise is that Innerfidelity had only LCD-2 rev1 to review at the time of that article. If you look there right now, you will find LCD-2 rev2 to be present on the Wall of fame, not HE-500 (Tyll said he prefers LCD-2 over HE-500). But HE-500 would suite your tastes a bit better. Maybe. And maybe not.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #25 of 78
You cannot go wrong with both LCD-2 and HE-500... According to Lugbug1, LCD-2 are ultimate jazz headphones since their treble is not fatiguing even in the worst cases (my experience as well) and their bass is simply unmatched, regardless the price (except for LCD-3). However, HE-500 should have a bit more air among instruments and image a bit better (not sure though here). You cannot go wrong with either. Both should be among the best for the price.

Ask Lugbug1, he has both headphones (the newest version of LCD-2 as well). I own LCD-2 only (the newest) and would only consider LCD-3 from all the headphones that are available today. on the market But it does not need to mean anything for you.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 78
You should definitely audition the Denon 7 series (AH-D 7000, 7100).

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 78
Quote:
You should definitely audition the Denon 7 series (AH-D 7000, 7100).

No way... Their bass is boomy as hell, mids recessed (nowhere near fullness) and treble with D7000 harsh and thin. IMHO not suitable for anything except electronic music.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 78
I have seen used stax sr-007s go for 1K without the amp. 

Considering everything you have been describing in your desires for these headphones, it seems like you would want electrostatic headphones. Next on the list would be the planar magnet technology and third would be dynamic. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #29 of 78
for a new pair of stats with travel flexibility and warranty there are these as well
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/the-legendaris-stax-iem-strike-back-by-begining-november-2012-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003

don't let the size fool you. The older version is amazing, and these newer versions are an improvement so they say.

Page 10 has some direct comparisons to SR-007MK2 and SR-009's ! So you know there will be quality bass.

The one there also has the advantage of being portable. And comes in cheaper than some of your other options. 
Worth a look anyhow.

Also as Currawong mentioned in post #17, I agree those are good options also.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #30 of 78
Quote:
You cannot go wrong with both LCD-2 and HE-500... According to Lugbug1, LCD-2 are ultimate jazz headphones since their treble is not fatiguing even in the worst cases (my experience as well) and their bass is simply unmatched, regardless the price (except for LCD-3). However, HE-500 should have a bit more air among instruments and image a bit better (not sure though here). You cannot go wrong with either. Both should be among the best for the price.

Ask Lugbug1, he has both headphones (the newest version of LCD-2 as well). I own LCD-2 only (the newest) and would only consider LCD-3 from all the headphones that are available today. on the market But it does not need to mean anything for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639785/he500-or-lcd2-or-both-please-share-your-impressions-mini-review-and-poll-please-vote

Yes, both sound teriffic and should be ideal for the op, the HE500 seem a bit more balanced from top to bottom and have a bit more air and are very smooth. The LCD2's have such an engaging deep sound, very cohesive and natural. But the clamp pressure can be annoying for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back