King of kings
Jan 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

funkydandy

New Head-Fier
I want to say "Oh-my-God... it sounds... I have no words" when I close my eyes and press play button.
I would like to buy a new headphones (and headphones amplifier) wich makes me feel like I've been wasting my time with my actual Bose...

My music equipment is:
  1. Cambridge Audio azur 540A amplifier.
  2. Cambridge Audio azur 640C CD player.
  3. BW 685 speakers.
  4. Bose QuietComfort 15.

I like different music styles: chill-out, jazz, tango, electronic... I don't like to buy music on iTunes or Amazon, I prefer buying CDs.

I'm not a hi-fidelity expert but I would like to improve my head-fidelity experience.

What headphones do you think I should buy?
  1. Grado Labs GS1000i
  2. Sennheiser HD-800
  3. Beyerdinamic T1
  4. HiFiMAN HE6
  5. Audeze LCD2

I've opened a poll, but I need you explain your answers.

Thank you very much.
Note: I can't test these headphones in my city... I need your help.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 78
These are all amazing headphones and highly regarded by many in this community, but tbh almost all of them have different sound signatures. So ultimately the choice would depend on what sound sig you prefer and what kind of music you generally listen to.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 78
Quote:
Hi Greed.

You''ve written in your signature you have LCD2, T1, HE-500 and HD-650.
Wich one do you prefer?

Well, it really depends... but overall I would say my Audeze LCD-2s would be my choice. For the kinds of music I generally listen to and the overall sound of them they are amazing. The HE-500s are also very good, but I prefer my LCD-2 generally speaking.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 78
This is quite difficult to sum up...

At first, let me say that all of those headphones do have different requirements for amping.

HE-6 and HD800 are difficult to drive properly. You need a good speaker amp to get the best out of HE-6, and you have to be extremely careful in choosing the correct unit to calm down the HD800's treble which will most probably be a bit harsh and too significant if you pair them inappropriately (tube amps should work the best). T1 are also a tough choice due to their enormous impedance reaching over 1000 ohm in certain regions. They could also be too bright. LCD-2 are extremely easy to pair since they sound nice with everything you pair them with. This is true from my experience as well. Don't know about Grado unfortunately.

Based on your genre preference, I would choose LCD-2 or HE-500. Both easy to drive and should sound great with your music. Both have nice extended bass along with full mids and not overpowered highs, in general.

My preference goes with LCD-2 since I am sensitive to treble and find it too much on the majority of cans (including T1 and HD800, HE-500 should also have it more but not too much). The bass of LCD-2 is also unmatched - simply the best unless you want LCD-3 which should have it even a little bit better.

Be sure to grab a pair of LCD-2 REV.2 if you are going to choose Audeze.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 78
I have listened to the T1, HD800, and the LCD2. I really like the HD800 and it was just a bit better then the T1 and I found it more comfortable. The LCD2 was too heavy for me.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 78
I don't find the T1 THAT bright at all. They have some ability to retain their sound characteristics, unlike the HD800 which sounds a lot like whatever it is plugged into. Comfort wise 800 wins for sure no contest here, the T1's pads sit right on the ears, and clamping is more than average. T1 is also a better all-rounder than 800.

It really depends what you are easily wow'd with. If you like bass then LCD-2 and HE-6 is best, even D7100 would do the job, if you like sound staging and detail then 800 and T1 obviously.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 78
Quote:
This is quite difficult to sum up...

At first, let me say that all of those headphones do have different requirements for amping.

HE-6 and HD800 are difficult to drive properly. You need a good speaker amp to get the best out of HE-6, and you have to be extremely careful in choosing the correct unit to calm down the HD800's treble which will most probably be a bit harsh and too significant if you pair them inappropriately (tube amps should work the best). T1 are also a tough choice due to their enormous impedance reaching over 1000 ohm in certain regions. They could also be too bright. LCD-2 are extremely easy to pair since they sound nice with everything you pair them with. This is true from my experience as well. Don't know about Grado unfortunately.

Based on your genre preference, I would choose LCD-2 or HE-500. Both easy to drive and should sound great with your music. Both have nice extended bass along with full mids and not overpowered highs, in general.

My preference goes with LCD-2 since I am sensitive to treble and find it too much on the majority of cans (including T1 and HD800, HE-500 should also have it more but not too much). The bass of LCD-2 is also unmatched - simply the best unless you want LCD-3 which should have it even a little bit better.

Be sure to grab a pair of LCD-2 REV.2 if you are going to choose Audeze.

AUDEZE all the way .. i'll try to make it simple
- If you want the best bass ever produced by a headphone, and musicality with an organic lively sound and smooth treble (with all the details, just not in a sharp way ) go for the Audeze.
- If you want the absolute sharp like a needle treble go for the HD800. << some people love that treble.
( forget to add the sound stage advantage for both the T1 and HD800 ).
------------
as for the T1 they just sound like a normal super headphone, the special thing about them is nothing special about them << that is totally right !!

get the Audeze, break 'em in for a while, enjoy and forget that you have ever created this topic. Weight is no problem in recent versions like the bamboo.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 78
I think the problem here is that you're excepting to be (as a poster in another thread put it) "pants-wettingly excited" about a new purchase (and asking us to create that for you), and "wowed" by a number of headphones that are predominately revered because of their nuanced and subtle qualities. I think there's also an issue with just (more or less) blindly listing off contemporary options at or around $1k US - you're basically limiting the discussion before it even happens, because your expectations are unrealistic.

The best answer I can give you is to develop a coherent wish-list for what you would fix, change, or improve over the QC15 (and "I want to feel like they are a piece of crap" is not that), and then move on from there. There's both options within your apparent budget that you aren't considering (which may or may not be more suitable for you), and options under your budget that you aren't considering (which may or may not be more suitable - extreme price doesn't always mean best fit). I think anything less is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Anyways, since nobody has talked a lot about the GS-1000 - I'll say that's what I'd pick off of the list you created, but who knows if you'll actually like them or not. They're fairly easy to drive (especially compared to the T1) and will sound like GS-1000s pretty much across the board - you should have no issues plugging them into your integrated amplifier and getting the full GS-1000 experience. They certainly have a "wow" factor to them compared to the QC15 (they're livelier, as all Grados will be compared to the QC15 (seriously you could get an SR-60 and they'd seem very different and "intense" - this doesn't mean they're better though)), but again, who knows if you'll like them or not (and I can't even really guess at this for you, because you've said so little about what you really want).

The one comment you made about searching for detail though, makes me want to steer you towards electrostatic headphones. But those won't have a "wow" factor at all - again, subtle and nuanced improvements. *shrug*

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 78
Thanks for your answer obobskivich.

I'll try to explain what I'm searching for.
  • I would like to listen every instrument separated from the rest of instruments.
  • I would like to listen every detail of the music even at low volume.
  • I would like to feel the voices real (I listened a valve amplifier and thought singer was there).
  • I would like to feel like I'm in front of the band... "opened scene".

I can't explain it better.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

1. I would like to listen every instrument separated from the rest of instruments.
  2. I would like to listen every detail of the music even at low volume.
  3. I would like to feel the voices real (I listened a valve amplifier and thought singer was there).
  4. I would like to feel like I'm in front of the band... "opened scene".

Sounds like you're looking for an HD800, especially if points 1 and 4 are really important for you. I think the others would fair just as well for points 2 and 3, but then again, aside from the HD800, I've only listened to a rev 1 LCD-2, and only very briefly tried out a T1.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 78

• I would like to listen every instrument separated from the rest of instruments.
  • I would like to feel the voices real (I listened a valve amplifier and thought singer was there).

Electrostats. Seriously. :)

Koss ESP/950 is what I know and love, and what I'll suggest (they include their own amplifier too). The GS-1000 (or RS-1, at $300 less) would also be entirely suited to this, but I think 'stats will give you the detail you want. Sony MDR-SA5000 would be a decent third-place if you can still find one, but don't overpay for them.

What I'll say about the SA5k (and other analytical headphones) in contrast to the Grados is that you'll trade timbre for detail extraction; the Grados will sound natural and perfectly voiced (assuming the material is well done - nothing will fix a bad master), but aren't "studio monitor" material. Something like the SA5k will give you the opposite - you won't have that same visceral connection, but you'll get all the little details. The 'stats will do both, more or less, which is why I think they're a perfect match for you.

I haven't heard the HD 800 to tell you how it fits in here, but I have no issues basically ignoring them and suggesting cans that should deliver what you want. Pick one of the two Grados or the Koss and you should be set. As far as the differences between RS-1 and GS-1000, it has to do with soundstaging - the GS-1000 is bigger and wider, the RS-1 is more intimate and engaged. The last point about wanting to be "in front of the band" makes me like the RS-1 better than the GS-1000 for you, but either would be truly appropriate. The ESP/950 slot in somewhere in the middle in terms of staging - not too intimate and not too wide. They're "just right."

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Maybe the most important point for me is 2: I´m searching for very detailed sound even at low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back