Khadas Tea - World's First MagSafe Headphone Amplifier for Smartphones
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #106 of 122
The Khadis website no longer makes any reference to any app for the device. My guess is that they have abandoned it and there is nothing new in the specs from the first release.
What a lovely company - not a word to their customers who purchased the khadas tea with this kinda massive promise. Call it what you like this is going into murky waters of illegal/false advertising

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #107 of 122
What a lovely company - not a word to their customers who purchased the khadas tea with this kinda massive promise. Call it what you like this is going into murky waters of illegal/false advertising
Companies like this seem to forget how much we communicate with each other and that we have long memories when this nonsense happens. I don’t think they will ever have a chance with a version 2.0.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #109 of 122
seems the app has been released - anyone tried it, eq?
Honestly, after my poor experiences with them on several issues, I simply sent mine to the electronics recycling bin a long time ago. Looking at the screen shots for the app, it seems it offers the most basic of functionality. If it's of the same caliber as their device I think mediocrity will rule the day.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #110 of 122
seems the app has been released - anyone tried it, eq?

Yes, I installed on my iPhone and it works fine. It is pretty basic but it does add EQ functions and filter choices. Also, it upgraded my BT firmware on first launch.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #112 of 122
Actual EQ or just presets? On my iPhone, it seems the EQ is not customizable.

You're correct. I hadn't bothered to check before, not an EQ person myself... Also seems to be BT only.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #113 of 122
Preset EQ only. Qobuz says Tea is sending 24bit 96kHz from my iPhone 11 Pro. I have seen 24bit 44.1kHz in Apple Music or Amazon HD from this phone.
IMG_8502.jpeg

IMG_8504.png

IMG_8503.png

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #114 of 122
Preset EQ only. Qobuz says Tea is sending 24bit 96kHz from my iPhone 11 Pro. I have seen 24bit 44.1kHz in Apple Music or Amazon HD from this phone. IMG_8502.jpeg
IMG_8504.png
IMG_8503.png

I believe that's Qobuz telling you the track data. If you are using bluetooth (rather than USB) it should be transmitting 256 kbps AAC codec on an Apple device. Of course, if you are using USB you should get full resolution, but I don't think the EQ will work.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #115 of 122
I believe that's Qobuz telling you the track data. If you are using bluetooth (rather than USB) it should be transmitting 256 kbps AAC codec on an Apple device. Of course, if you are using USB you should get full resolution, but I don't think the EQ will work.
You’re right. It’s the apps bragging about track resolution potential.

Airplay supposedly supports up to 24bit 48kHz, but I’m not seeing anything that shows Bluetooth to Tea is getting Airplay connection.

16bit 44.1kHz RedBook does seem to be common in my streaming quality screens for AmazonHD and Apple Music to Tea via Bluetooth. Is Bluetooth “RedBook” a lie, or capped at 256kbps?

IMG_8509.png
IMG_8508.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #117 of 122

The Tea only supports bluetooth and USB connections, not Airplay. For an iPhone it should be AAC 256 because that is the supported codec on Apple devices. The Tea does support LDAC but Apple does not. There is nothing wrong with Apple's AAC, but it is not high-resolution or lossless (which you can get with USB connection).

Redbook is 16 bit, 1411 kbps uncompressed. AAC Bluetooth is lossy compressed at 256 kbps. I'm not sure how efficient the compression is, but it was never intended to be lossless.

AptX has a new "lossless" BT codec, but it is not supported by hardly any devices currently.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #118 of 122
I think Apple is working with better than 256kbps, or their compression is improved over what we assume an MP3 or similar sounds like.

I have some DRM at 256kbps in my library. I can hear it before I look at the screen. It’s less than RedBook by a mile to my ear. Tea was sounding much better than MP3 today on my revealing JM OpusX Summit prototype open backs. Apple has somehow moved on from its crappy Bluetooth-ready sound of the 20teens.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #119 of 122
I think Apple is working with better than 256kbps, or their compression is improved over what we assume an MP3 or similar sounds like.

I have some DRM at 256kbps in my library. I can hear it before I look at the screen. It’s less than RedBook by a mile to my ear. Tea was sounding much better than MP3 today on my revealing JM OpusX Summit prototype open backs. Apple has somehow moved on from its crappy Bluetooth-ready sound of the 20teens.
Have you tried the Tea with USB connection and compared? I would be curious what you think. My ears aren't very good (too old), but the USB mode should be better, at least on paper.

AAC can be confusing to discuss also as the same term is used for file compression (like MP3 or Flac) and also for a bluetooth codec (like AptX or LDAC).

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #120 of 122
Eq presets?! That’s just about completely useless without allowing user editable eq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back