KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jan 3, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #256 of 834
  Really depending on what tubes on the BHSE as well as parts used on the Carbon.  I've sampled 5 KGSSHVs and they all sounding a little bit difference.

I'm quite sure the one I heard had stock tubes.  But I'm very modest when it comes to my desires for bass quantity compared to most people.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #257 of 834
Hmmm...I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here that the various amps are just to bring out the most out of the headphones and provide transparency in the DAC/Amp/headphone chain and bottom line (as per @icebear) that it's primarily the headphone signature that'll be key if it's suitable for a particular suite of genre? Not saying it's impossible to try the amp route, however somehow feels like a sub-optimal approach?

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #258 of 834
I've listened to the BHSE /007 MK II but sourced via an ak240. Bass was modest to be honest. Not sure if it's the source or the amp. Didn't really notice what tubes were used but definitely not the stock ones. Looked like a tube with an enlarged midriff..

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #259 of 834
I've listened to the BHSE /007 MK II but sourced via an ak240. Bass was modest to be honest. Not sure if it's the source or the amp. Didn't really notice what tubes were used but definitely not the stock ones. Looked like a tube with an enlarged midriff..

Of course the AK240 is to blame.  Any sub $1000 DACs will sound much better the AK240.  Honestly, the AK240 line out is probably more or less equivalent to a desktop DAC in $500 range.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #260 of 834
Guessed as much. Since I was on holiday, I couldn't lug my laptop and Dac along. But the BHSE with blue faceplate sure looked handsome! Btw this was at the Addicted to Audio shop in Melbourne. Great and helpful peeps there!

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #261 of 834

I would recommend an amp that you can get enhanced bass with.  Personally I would favor a tube amp as you can play with tubes to get the bass you want.

Not sure what server what server / CDP you use, but on my Mac in Audirvana+ there are EQ filters which are 32/64 bit and don't appear to affect sound quality in the usual negative way EQ can. So you could technically set the EQ to suit your personal tastes.

Headphones IMO can and do reproduce excellent bass, and Stats are capable of it as well such as the 007 and 009. But the speed of the drivers in Stats can give the impression of less bass. I was a DJ for some years, and big speaker systems are slow and create overhang, giving the impression of bigger bass depth and impact. There is also 'pressurising the room' When you have a system big enough or a mid sized system in a smaller room you can easily get a real pressure going on. It gives the 'in the chest' type of bass impact and gets you fired up so to speak, well not on Barbara Streisand, but in Rammstein YES. This pressurising a room is what happens in a car with even a basic sound system.

In headphones, I used to crave the bass extension and excitement of this aspect when I had the Lambda Nova Signatures. It wasn't till I got the 007s, then a better Stax amp that it finally arrived. So, IMO you can get superb bass extension and excitement with the 007 and 009, but it comes in a different flavour to Planars and more traditional headphones with central magnets and cones. 

IMO the traditional speaker design is flawed as it is too slow, has colourations and creates feedback down the cables. It is our ears and brains that expect that slow and thumping sound, as we have grown up with it in Clubs and on Dad's radiogram. I really believe Stats are more accurate, playing what is there, not adding something else.

If you like the club sound yourself, then I would go for the LCD-3. Maybe the Abyss would be halfway between the 009 and the LCD-3 to suit your tastes. I am unsure if the faster 009s will be what you are after. You can however grow into the sound of the 007s and 009s IMO. A kind of 'unlearn what you have learnt' maybe?

Hope this helps you.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #262 of 834

Not sure what server what server / CDP you use, but on my Mac in Audirvana+ there are EQ filters which are 32/64 bit and don't appear to affect sound quality in the usual negative way EQ can. So you could technically set the EQ to suit your personal tastes.

Headphones IMO can and do reproduce excellent bass, and Stats are capable of it as well such as the 007 and 009. But the speed of the drivers in Stats can give the impression of less bass. I was a DJ for some years, and big speaker systems are slow and create overhang, giving the impression of bigger bass depth and impact. There is also 'pressurising the room' When you have a system big enough or a mid sized system in a smaller room you can easily get a real pressure going on. It gives the 'in the chest' type of bass impact and gets you fired up so to speak, well not on Barbara Streisand, but in Rammstein YES. This pressurising a room is what happens in a car with even a basic sound system.

In headphones, I used to crave the bass extension and excitement of this aspect when I had the Lambda Nova Signatures. It wasn't till I got the 007s, then a better Stax amp that it finally arrived. So, IMO you can get superb bass extension and excitement with the 007 and 009, but it comes in a different flavour to Planars and more traditional headphones with central magnets and cones. 

IMO the traditional speaker design is flawed as it is too slow, has colourations and creates feedback down the cables. It is our ears and brains that expect that slow and thumping sound, as we have grown up with it in Clubs and on Dad's radiogram. I really believe Stats are more accurate, playing what is there, not adding something else.

If you like the club sound yourself, then I would go for the LCD-3. Maybe the Abyss would be halfway between the 009 and the LCD-3 to suit your tastes. I am unsure if the faster 009s will be what you are after. You can however grow into the sound of the 007s and 009s IMO. A kind of 'unlearn what you have learnt' maybe?

Hope this helps you.

Now you are talking my language  :) Yes, i acknowledge being conditioned to the club type of bass pressure levels which is so metal in my books. On the other hand, i used to have an 007 powered by the KGST which i felt was also pretty good with bass and metal in general. Its fast but then at times, upon repeated listenings i found that it was not very different from a regular dynamic headphone - it didn't have the airiness and wide soundstage i'd hear before with a Lambda (307 i believe it was) on a regular Stax amp. So, in a way i was disappointed. I craved the spaciousness of a Lambda but with the thumping bass of a dynamic headphone. 

To "unlearn what i've learnt" is good advice but i need to balance it against my available budget hahahaha...

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #263 of 834
Yes, I have KGSSHV and 009 hooked to a Burmester 069. It's a terrific combination and I doubt you can get much better performance from any other artificial medium (compared to live).

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #264 of 834
Yes, I have KGSSHV and 009 hooked to a Burmester 069. It's a terrific combination and I doubt you can get much better performance from any other artificial medium (compared to live).

Nice disc spinner but the KGSSHV is not the same as the KGSSHV Carbon.  You can always get the BHSE with exotic NOS tubes, Megatron, and DIY T2 if you really want to improve upon the KGSSHV.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #265 of 834

I also thought that as well, and am indeed very happy with my KGSShv and the 009s. However, according to posters who have both or had both, the Carbon seems to be a step up on quite a few fronts.

Quote:
  Nice disc spinner but the KGSSHV is not the same as the KGSSHV Carbon.  You can always get the BHSE with exotic NOS tubes, Megatron, and DIY T2 if you really want to improve upon the KGSSHV.

Purk, I am confused, is the Carbon incremental then, as opposed to a BHSE which would be bigger improvement? I am curious, but am only looking at solid state for my next Stat amp.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #266 of 834
I am confused to :wink:   

I just spoke with Justin and i am about to put a deposit for a BHSE since I was VERY impressed last year by BHSE+SR009, but...before I would like to be sure that the Carbon is not a better choice (for the SR009) !     (all price concern put aside)

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #267 of 834
bmichels,

Purk addressed this in an earlier posting.  He is one of the few persons (and, for all I know, the only one) who owns both a BHSE and a Carbon.  So it may be awhile before there are people with actual experience in comparing both amps while using the same front ends and in a non-meet setting. 

That said, if you want to go on one headfier's opinion, Purk's opinion would be an excellent choice.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #268 of 834
More importantly, Purk also owns a DIY T2. AND he's heard a lot of HV builds. Aside from the MT, Purk has it all. So his reference points are as strong as they come.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #269 of 834
  I am confused to :wink:   

I just spoke with Justin and i am about to put a deposit for a BHSE since I was VERY impressed last year by BHSE+SR009, but...before I would like to be sure that the Carbon is not a better choice (for the SR009) !     (all price concern put aside)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766237/kgsshv-carbon-hows-it-sound-with-the-009s/180#post_12129070

In case I hit the jackpot tomorrow I'll order a Carbon
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #270 of 834
  bmichels,

Purk addressed this in an earlier posting.  He is one of the few persons (and, for all I know, the only one) who owns both a BHSE and a Carbon.  So it may be awhile before there are people with actual experience in comparing both amps while using the same front ends and in a non-meet setting. 

That said, if you want to go on one headfier's opinion, Purk's opinion would be an excellent choice.

More importantly, Purk also owns a DIY T2. AND he's heard a lot of HV builds. Aside from the MT, Purk has it all. So his reference points are as strong as they come.

Thanks guy but I'm just one person and this is just my opinion based on my rigs and source.  I do wish KG would comment on the sound of all his amps.  I think he can't pick a favorite among his children.  It is important to note that the BHSE also react well to tube rolling so you have more flexibility in tuning in the sound compared to KGSSHV carbon or solidstate amps for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back