KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #271 of 834

Thanks guy but I'm just one person and this is just my opinion based on my rigs and source.  I do wish KG would comment on the sound of all his amps.  I think he can't pick a favorite among his children.  It is important to note that the BHSE also react well to tube rolling so you have more flexibility in tuning in the sound compared to KGSSHV carbon or solidstate amps for that matter.

KG does comment somewhat, but he definitely avoids giving out direct comparisons usually.  He does seem to indicate that the Nanotube/Circlotron is the best sounding one overall.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #272 of 834

KG does comment somewhat, but he definitely avoids giving out direct comparisons usually.  He does seem to indicate that the Nanotube/Circlotron is the best sounding one overall.

Yes, I read that. I also read it generates lots of heat and can be problematic i.e.might prove unreliable? Someone else who has more personal experience please chime in. Here is a wikipedia description of a Circlotron amplifier (generally a speaker amplifier).

I am nervous to buy such an exotic device, though I can only imagine how good it may sound.

I am not sure, but is there a stat amplifier that is both tube regulated and tube amplified (in all the stages)?. Is this even possible? And if it was possible, could that finally be the 'ultimate' stat amplifier?

We have the BHSE which is a solid state hybrid with EL34s in the final stage, and the T2 with tubes at the input and final stage (I think). So both these are not tubes right through.

I am thinking that the rumoured for this year? - Stax T2 successor will be a solid state & tube stage combination.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #274 of 834

I'm not sure either, but what about the Woo Audio WES?

Oops, I forgot about that amp! Derr. I found some internal photos and it does look at Tube.

I think you may be right, though the Woo is not talked about much here or the other place. It was up there in discussion 4 years ago, but seems to be not mentioned here much now. I have not heard it, maybe someone here can chime in with an opinion, preferably someone who own it or did own it.

Which has me thinking maybe my idea is wrong, and a hybrid amp is possibly a better option for an ultimate stat amp? I have heard many all tube speaker amplifiers that are just incredible, thus my theory of an all tube 'ultimate stat amp'.

Interesting subject. And also why I find the Carbon fascinating as it is purported by some to be as close to a tube stage as anyone has got so far in a SS Stat amplifier. Yes, you can't tailor the sound, but then you don't have the output tubes to worry about (rolling and replacements - cost, availability in the future). I have a tube DAC so can tweak upstream to an extent.

If I had serious cash I would have both (in a fantasy system).

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #275 of 834
I've only auditioned the WES with the SR-009.  On the same day I heard the SR-009 with the BHSE (which I listened to extensively, much more than the WES).  The WES is definitely warmer and a bit less bright with the SR-009 than the BHSE is, but it sounded a lot less authentic to me and the bass was looser and seemed to have less impact.  I don't know if the WES had the upgrade tubes that they offer or not.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #277 of 834
What does "tube regulated" mean?

It is the power supply design of many tube based amplifiers, and a tube/s are used to provide regulated (clean and stable) power supply to the line stages. Many tube amplifier manufacturers seem to prefer to do both tube regulated PS and tube line stage.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #278 of 834
you know that guy from capitol one that asks whats in your wallet.. well here is whats available now, or very soon

kgsshv-carbon is the best thing I can currently do with all solid state. I have listened to a number of the silicon carbide devices and
the cree is in my opinion the best of the bunch by a wide margin, even the cree data sheet lists "drives capacitive loads" now.
But you can put in either of the other 2 vendors parts if you want.
Available now in 3 different power supply voltages, and simple to complex power supplies. board files available now.

but you want tubes, ok

kgsshv-carbon-tube replaces the cree device with a 6ca7. So now you can tube roll.
Available in the same 3 different power supply voltages. board layouts available now.

but your wallet is still full?

kgsshv-carbon-dht replaces the cree device with 20B-V4 emission labs tubes.
no tube rolling, but "DHT TRIODE!!!" board layouts available now.

want more?

kgsshv-carbon-nanotube is a fully direct coupled circlotron.
your choice of the cree driver board, the 6ca7 driver board or the DHT triode driver board.
solid state circlotron output stage. lots of power supplies.  board layouts available now.

and finally soon there will be 6ca7 and DHT circlotron output boards.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #279 of 834
That sure reads like a KGWAP ... wallet attack plan
biggrin.gif

If the numbers tonight match any of my tickets, my wallet won't care anymore.
I am gonna order one of each
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #280 of 834
Well, by the time I can get around to buying a top notch amp, it looks like I'll have a lot more to choose from!

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #281 of 834

Nice. I guess that confirms what others are saying who have the Carbon, it is most likely the best SS Stat amp out there at the moment. Cool.

Reading the above, or am I misreading the above, I wonder if KG is also saying a Stat amp with tubes is another step up? Guess that is another big subject. Regardless IMO we are damb lucky to have (DIY) access to this quality of amplification. I love this hobby, I can't think of anything else I have spend money on to bring this level of enjoyment TBH.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #282 of 834
  you know that guy from capitol one that asks whats in your wallet.. well here is whats available now, or very soon
... but you want tubes, ok
... but your wallet is still full?
... want more?

Nice. I guess that confirms what others are saying who have the Carbon, it is most likely the best SS Stat amp out there at the moment. Cool.

Reading the above, or am I misreading the above, I wonder if KG is also saying a Stat amp with tubes is another step up? Guess that is another big subject. Regardless IMO we are damb lucky to have (DIY) access to this quality of amplification. I love this hobby, I can't think of anything else I have spend money on to bring this level of enjoyment TBH.

The way I read it ... it's a step up in price. And you get the glow and warmth .. not necessarily better SQ
wink.gif
So he will help you out (with his designs) to get rid of all the money that is burning holes in your pocket.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #284 of 834
http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/products/

"Another Carbon variant, the Carbon CC.  This has been cooking for a long while now but it is basically a Carbon in a larger box with a more advanced power supply, the best volume control available and all signal wiring is solid core silver.  I will only build two of these for testing, the one pictured which has a Alps RK50 volume control and a R-core transformer.  The other one has a Penny&Giles RF15 volume control and my custom torodial transformers.  This is meant as a project for those that think the normal Carbon is simply not expensive enough so I will continue to work on this project over the coming months.   I have some things planned which will make the Carbon seem dirt cheap indeed…  This is not planned to surpass the regular Carbon and I for one think that this stuff isn’t needed.  It is an improvement but given the huge price difference I don’t think it is worth it.  That being said, we have this drive towards “perfection” so so the crazy side of my likes to play with this stuff."

Price: 5500$ plus shipping

PS:

I'm selling Opel Corsa, year 2008 in perfect condition, price 5500$, not negociable hahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back