KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Apr 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #301 of 834

A shunt regulated power supply is a completely different thing from the cascode current source, which is used as an output load.

A regulated power supply basically keeps the power supply voltage constant regardless of the current draw of the amplifier.  There are two types of regulated supplies, series regulated and shunt regulated.  A simple series regulator ( parts wise) is a 78XX IC chip regulator.  A simple shunt regulated supply is a resistor in series with a zener diode.  All of Dr. Gilmore's designs use series regulated power supplies.

Hi JimL11

Did you design the LV 12v PCBs for the group buy Carbon KGSShv? If yes, do you think this tweak on the power supply for that amplifier improves the sound quality? I am waiting for a demo of 2  amps that has both options.

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #302 of 834
Oh Justin, please make a KGSSHV variant!  I don't do tubes.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #303 of 834

Hi JimL11

Did you design the LV 12v PCBs for the group buy Carbon KGSShv? If yes, do you think this tweak on the power supply for that amplifier improves the sound quality? I am waiting for a demo of 2  amps that has both options.

I designed the grlv power supply boards. And they are used for all sorts of stuff now.  ssdynalobal, ssdynahibal, uberamp2 (30v for unbal/bal/cast front end, 40v for output predrivers) and a couple of other things that have not been published yet.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #304 of 834

I designed the grlv power supply boards. And they are used for all sorts of stuff now.  ssdynalobal, ssdynahibal, uberamp2 (30v for unbal/bal/cast front end, 40v for output predrivers) and a couple of other things that have not been published yet.

ops, sorry Kevin I didn't know that. Apologies.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #305 of 834
Yup, Dr. Gilmore designed the KGSSHV Carbon and everything associated with it.

I actually haven't designed anything.  I modified the Stax SRX circuit from the 1970s by incorporating constant current loads and constant current sinks to optimize the function of the circuit, and I modified a shunt regulated power supply designed by John Broskie of TubeCAD to form a simple but relatively high performance regulated power supply.  The resulting combination, which I dubbed the SRX Plus, is described in a couple articles in the Nov and Dec 2015 issues of AudioXpress, and also in infinite gory detail on the other website under the SRX Revisited thread.  It is a relatively simple to build, low parts count, high performance modification, IMHO, and one of the the least expensive electrostatic headphone amps for the DIYer.  Dr. Gilmore was nice enough to design circuit boards for both the amp and PS.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #306 of 834

And we are very fortunate and thankful for all the work you have done sir!  

May 26, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #307 of 834

This is a super useful quality dc regulator and as KG says can be used for various projects.  See other place for more info.  I need a few myself so am getting some made.  If you want to join in and purchase some boards for your projects please pm me.  They come in positve and negative versions so you need a pair for plus/minus supplies.

The price for a single board is around £11 plus postage and pp fee

May 29, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #309 of 834
  Has anyone compared KGSS Carbon with Blue Hawaii?

From that other forum, a good friend of mine has compared his KGSSHV, KGSSHV Carbon, BHSE and my DIYT2, and had this to say:-

"(snip) I’ve had a fairly good listen now, I can confidently say It’s a good improvement in performance from the KGSSHV’s and BHSE I have on hand. I’ve always maintained the BHSE and KGSSHV were a similar calibre, with different signatures depending on your taste and music genre.
Interestingly I find myself in the same scenario with the Carbon and the T2, I don’t prefer one over the other, both have slight contrasting differences. To be crude and simplistic, the Carbon has transparency and the T2 sweetness and tone, but both amps do everything exceptionally well.
The Carbon is unquestionably the most stable amp in my arsenal, (snip)"

Hope this helps.

And, remember this is his opinion, and YMMV....  
wink_face.gif

May 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #310 of 834
Or if you just scroll through this thread, and read Purk's comparison of the BHSE and the Carbon (and T2), that would shed some light as well. He and Mulveling both have detailed impressions here and in the regular Stax thread, I believe. In their case, the Carbon and BHSE are more on the same level, with the T2 still being superior to both. I have never heard the BHSE (either the Headamp version, or the DIY version of the BHSE referenced above by Wink), so cannot comment on that comparison. But the T2 is clearly superior to the Carbon - but it has tubes... and costs oodles of money...

May 31, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #311 of 834
  Or if you just scroll through this thread, and read Purk's comparison of the BHSE and the Carbon (and T2), that would shed some light as well. He and Mulveling both have detailed impressions here and in the regular Stax thread, I believe. In their case, the Carbon and BHSE are more on the same level, with the T2 still being superior to both. I have never heard the BHSE (either the Headamp version, or the DIY version of the BHSE referenced above by Wink), so cannot comment on that comparison. But the T2 is clearly superior to the Carbon - but it has tubes... and costs oodles of money...

It is also important to note that you can roll tubes with the BHSE as well as the T2...so you can dial in your sound to fit in your system better.  In all consideration though, the KGSSHV Carbon is an awesome amp.

From that other forum, a good friend of mine has compared his KGSSHV, KGSSHV Carbon, BHSE and my DIYT2, and had this to say:-

"(snip) I’ve had a fairly good listen now, I can confidently say It’s a good improvement in performance from the KGSSHV’s and BHSE I have on hand. I’ve always maintained the BHSE and KGSSHV were a similar calibre, with different signatures depending on your taste and music genre.
Interestingly I find myself in the same scenario with the Carbon and the T2, I don’t prefer one over the other, both have slight contrasting differences. To be crude and simplistic, the Carbon has transparency and the T2 sweetness and tone, but both amps do everything exceptionally well.
The Carbon is unquestionably the most stable amp in my arsenal, (snip)"

Hope this helps.

And, remember this is his opinion, and YMMV....   
wink_face.gif

I wonder what is the tube combination he is using on his BHSE and the T2.  I have had my fair share of the KGSSHVs and always prefer my BHSE with NOS Holland EL34 better.  The resolution that you can get from the BHSE is simply better than any KGSSHVs that I've tried.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #312 of 834
  It is also important to note that you can roll tubes with the BHSE as well as the T2...so you can dial in your sound to fit in your system better.  In all consideration though, the KGSSHV Carbon is an awesome amp.

I wonder what is the tube combination he is using on his BHSE and the T2.  I have had my fair share of the KGSSHVs and always prefer my BHSE with NOS Holland EL34 better.  The resolution that you can get from the BHSE is simply better than any KGSSHVs that I've tried.

I should find out myself soon as Carbon incoming. I think this is all good news as a top grade SS Stat amp is very easy to live with in my situation, as I have to pop out with the dogs and other distractions. I have a BHSE on order and intend to hang in there this time as I bailed out 18 months back. All this of course requires a big thank you going out to Kevin G for putting in the time and expertise and sharing his knowledge.

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #314 of 834
  @astrostar59  please post your impressions on carbon. your opinions are helpful for us. thanks.

Thanks I will do, especially if it sounds much better, won't be able to keep that quiet!

It also begs the question, is this as far as one can go with Solid State electrostatic amplifiers? I think (needs clarification) the SiC (silicon carbide) fets on the Carbon came via Solar Power research and development and one of the advantages in it is it can take more heat and more current. They can also crucially switch much faster than normal fets according to various manufacturers making them. They are closer to Triodes as one can get (quote Spritzer). It is not just about that of course, how they sound is also important. Possibly this has an impact on the sound (other please chime in). Regardless of that being true or not, the feedback from folk who have the Carbon or heard it is very encouraging indeed. However it works or the technical details behind it, if it sounds good I am happy and a big thank you to KG for the designs he makes available to audio fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back