KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #226 of 834

Interested in more T2 vs. Carbon comparisons. The thing I love the most about the T2 with the SR009 is how closely it approximates to live performances. Nothing really comes close. Is there anything that the T2 does noticeably better than the Carbon?

I would actually say that the T2 and SR009 combo has better bass than the HE1000 and 445, though the HE1000 may benefit from a solid state amp. Just compared the HE1000 to the SR009 yesterday and my god, the transparency, realism and musical enjoyment that the T2/SR009 brings far exceeds the HE1000. It is not even close. I completely agree that the Big Sound Event missed out on this one.

Beside the greater sense of width in the soundstage, I find the T2 to be superior to the Carbon in just about all areas.  The difference in each area is rather small but the sum of its parts really yield a more engaging and more musical experience.  I am also prefer the tonality on the T2 as well as a more liquid presentation compared to the Carbon.  

I am glad that someone is in agreement with me on the HE1000/HD800 vs. the SR009 issues.  The HE1000 is really a good headphones but it just doesn't quite match the HD800 out of a really good amp...so let alone a comparison to the SR009.  My Dynahi is really doing a great job with the HE1000, better than the GS-X MKII was able to muster before I sold it.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #227 of 834
But... what is this T2 amp everyone rave about !  Is it available for sale somewhere ? who to get one ?  and what does it looks like ?  
eek.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #228 of 834
  But... what is this T2 amp everyone rave about !  Is it available for sale somewhere ? who to get one ?  and what does it looks like ?  
eek.gif

Search around for "DIY T2" and you will get plenty of information or just visit the other headphone site.  It is a DIY only amp with parts cost pushing around (5-6K) based on the famous Stax SRM-T2 but with much better power supply.  I don't think any one has made a commercially available version yet due to part cost, complexity of build, and the skill required to execute such a build.  You also need plenty of luck to get it going without any issue...but you will be reward with pure bliss once you do.  I was not capable of building one but simply lucky enough to buy one from a really good friend.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #229 of 834
Interesting on Birgir's website in the news section, that at sometime in the future there might be a new completely over the top full size Carbon that will cost a fortune. ( Birgir's words )

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #230 of 834
Interesting on Birgir's website in the news section, that at sometime in the future there might be a new completely over the top full size Carbon that will cost a fortune. ( Birgir's words )

Link? Can we have his exact words? Exciting indeed!

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #232 of 834
  That said, nothing does a liquid, sweet mid-range like a great tube amp. The Carbon does a bit better here than any of the KGSShv builds -- but it's still not a tube midrange. Even the KGST gives a taste of that midrange magic, but it's pretty far behind the Carbon in other respects.

Interesting. Based on you knowing I have a warm and probably pretty good off-board full size 450v Sanyo 10Ma KGSShv version, do you think the jump to a Carbon like you example with the 009s is worth the effort / cost? Or is it quite subtle, not worth getting excited about? I think your Carbon is 400v and 17Ma?

I would think your Carbon needs at least 4 weeks too fully run in, thinking how my previous power amps and pre-amplifiers sounded from new. The bigger the caps, the longer it might be IMO.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #233 of 834
Link? Can we have his exact words? Exciting indeed!

Click on "news" at the top...

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/sample-page-2/

"I’m as active as ever with these but I’ve been busy over the last few months.  I built up a nice stash of KGSSHV mini’s and I’m completing the last of the full size KGSSHV’s.  Once these are gone there will only be the mini simply because people are more interested in the small desktop amp.  There have been other updates too as the Carbon design has progressed from the large chassis to the new mini Carbon which will take over as the normal unit.  There might be a new completely over the top full size Carbon in the future but it is months and months away and will cost a fortune.
The KGST has been out of stock for a while now but that should change soon as I’m working on new units.  The new Megatron is also slowly progressing and I did finally finish my own T2DIY unit which had been waiting for years and years.  It does sound good but I do prefer the Carbon to it in every way.  The Carbon is simply more honest and neutral while also being more powerful.

On the horizon is me moving so builds will slow down until that ordeal is over but I’m also working on some dynamic amps which will eat up a large part of my time."

I find that VERY interesting!!

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #234 of 834
Those bits have been on the site for quite a while, nothing new, bigfatpaulie. It does however sound like the Carbon has another dimension to it. But I think we all figured from the beginning that was the implication of Circlotron.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #235 of 834
  Those bits have been on the site for quite a while, nothing new, bigfatpaulie. It does however sound like the Carbon has another dimension to it. But I think we all figured from the beginning that was the implication of Circlotron.

He has not built the circlotron though. If im not mistaken, he stated that he will not be building the circlotron for now due to how dangerous it is.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #236 of 834
  He has not built the circlotron though. If im not mistaken, he stated that he will not be building the circlotron for now due to how dangerous it is.

Yes, yet. I doubt he's ultimately scared. I'm trying to grasp how full-size Carbon's end up being exorbitantly expensive, though.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #237 of 834
  Yes, yet. I doubt he's ultimately scared. I'm trying to grasp how full-size Carbon's end up being exorbitantly expensive, though.

He said it would cost roughly 8k.

However, do not that he's based in Iceland, which means his parts cost 20-40% more. For example, he said that RK50 would cost him 1.4k in the Iceland, compared to the 800-1000 in the US.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #239 of 834
  He said it would cost roughly 8k.

However, do not that he's based in Iceland, which means his parts cost 20-40% more. For example, he said that RK50 would cost him 1.4k in the Iceland, compared to the 800-1000 in the US.

He does Carbons for just south of $5k. Again, I'm not sure what changes to Carbon launch its price into the stratosphere other than Circlotron, which I thought was estimated in the $12-15k range. Perhaps there is some hybrid tube design playing out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back