KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Dec 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #196 of 834
Would you say one is more coherent than the other?

I would just say the BHSE by just a hair. Maybe Mulveling can share his opinion with you when he drops by to listen to my BHSE this weekend.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #198 of 834
  What do you mean by "coherent"? I get that in the context of a multi-driver speaker system, but in terms of a good Stax setup, how can it be anything but perfectly coherent?

Thanks Purk.

The reason asked is this is one area the Philips metal based tubes really excel at with the BHSE (at least for me). If the Carbon was on par with this combination, it would probably suit my tastes better, while eliminating the cost of tubes for $2k.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #199 of 834
  What do you mean by "coherent"? I get that in the context of a multi-driver speaker system, but in terms of a good Stax setup, how can it be anything but perfectly coherent?

Sorry Mulveling, didn't see your post in time...

IMO, the Philips NOS metal based tubes just blends (integrates) everything together to give a better presentation of the sound (more musical with 3D like imaging). It's something I don't get from any of the other tubes I've tried.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #200 of 834

Sorry Mulveling, didn't see your post in time...

IMO, the Philips NOS metal based tubes just blends (integrates) everything together to give a better presentation of the sound (more musical with 3D like imaging). It's something I don't get from any of the other tubes I've tried.

Ah, OK. I've only heard Purk's BHSE with the Phillips Holland xf4/xf5. They're very good tubes, but not magical like the metal base possibly are. From other systems I know that kind of musical "magic" that the right tube can do, but it's very rare and hard to get -- most tubes (especially when you get into combining multiple tube types) just aren't that good. In my speaker setup I get a little bit of "magic" with the chrome-plate Mazda 12ax7 when combined with black-plate Sylvania 12BH7 -- nothing else does it like that, and I've tried A LOT.

The Carbon does not sound like a tube amp. It sounds like state-of-the-art solid state amp; it just does everything better than even the best KGSShv. If you've found magic with the metal base tubes in BHSE, you won't find that same brand of magic in the Carbon. The Carbon will still do at least a couple things better (e.g. the bass is so fast and clean and hard-hitting) -- but it will not be that kind of tube magic. By that I mean the truly holographic 3D imaging tricks (which might well be very lucky distortion products) and the absolutely liquid/organic mids, and perfectly sparkly treble (without sounding bright or strident). With the right bass to anchor it.

I actually find the Carbon to be better integrated than the BHSE i heard -- in relation to the bass/midrange/treble, how they relate/transition to each other, no one segment pulling undue attention to itself. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #201 of 834
  Ah, OK. I've only heard Purk's BHSE with the Phillips Holland xf4/xf5. They're very good tubes, but not magical like the metal base possibly are. From other systems I know that kind of musical "magic" that the right tube can do, but it's very rare and hard to get -- most tubes (especially when you get into combining multiple tube types) just aren't that good. In my speaker setup I get a little bit of "magic" with the chrome-plate Mazda 12ax7 when combined with black-plate Sylvania 12BH7 -- nothing else does it like that, and I've tried A LOT.

The Carbon does not sound like a tube amp. It sounds like state-of-the-art solid state amp; it just does everything better than even the best KGSShv. If you've found magic with the metal base tubes in BHSE, you won't find that same brand of magic in the Carbon. The Carbon will still do at least a couple things better (e.g. the bass is so fast and clean and hard-hitting) -- but it will not be that kind of tube magic. By that I mean the truly holographic 3D imaging tricks (which might well be very lucky distortion products) and the absolutely liquid/organic mids, and perfectly sparkly treble (without sounding bright or strident). With the right bass to anchor it.

I actually find the Carbon to be better integrated than the BHSE i heard -- in relation to the bass/midrange/treble, how they relate/transition to each other, no one segment pulling undue attention to itself. 

The BHSE that you auditioned at my place was hooking up to the NAD M51 which may not have the best treble quality.  With Yggy DAC, I don't think the treble is no longer an issue with the BHSE+SR009 setup.   

I wonder what is KG opinion on the sound of the two amps.  Then again each Carbon will sound vastly difference depending on part used and the current setting.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #202 of 834

I can't say one is better than the other. But they ARE different. And both are better overall performers than the trusty old KGSShv. Pick your poison.

They're hardly poison!  Seems like you'll be picking one phenomenal amp or a different phenomenal amp.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #203 of 834

They're hardly poison!  Seems like you'll be picking one phenomenal amp or a different phenomenal amp.

You will be extremely happy either way. And the full-size KGSSHVs are still quite great just that the Carbon is better.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #206 of 834
  We should create a "Everest-End" or "Olympus-Mons-End" section for the talk above 

Ali

beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #207 of 834
I was referring to Purk / Mulveling posts.
My modded 727 is just entry level, I'm on the list for BHSE, and maybe I'll get some Gumby/Yggy in 2016...only a young padawan, I am 
redface.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back