KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jan 12, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,307 of 1,806
Here is a copy/paste of Dukeis reply. Is he saying the same thing as we are? I'm not sure.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Steven,

I build and connect according to the labels/markings on the unit. If it says Left input then that channel would correspond to left on the XLR output as well. You can verify this by not connecting Left and letting the amp play. Only the right headphone driver would produce sound.

I don't know how other manufacturers do it without any markings or labels. I would guess that the left channel is the left connector when facing it (looking at it). That makes natural sense to me but I could be wrong. Check the manual of the manufacturer to be sure or you could also play a left/right stereo test track to find out.

You can swap the left and right channels without having phase inversion. Pin 2 is V+ and pin 3 is V- on the XLR connector. You can not get phase inversion unless those two pins are swapped, which they are not.

Hope that helps.
Miroslav

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,308 of 1,806
Here is a copy/paste of Dukeis reply. Is he saying the same thing as we are? I'm not sure.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Steven,

I build and connect according to the labels/markings on the unit. If it says Left input then that channel would correspond to left on the XLR output as well. You can verify this by not connecting Left and letting the amp play. Only the right headphone driver would produce sound.

I don't know how other manufacturers do it without any markings or labels. I would guess that the left channel is the left connector when facing it (looking at it). That makes natural sense to me but I could be wrong. Check the manual of the manufacturer to be sure or you could also play a left/right stereo test track to find out.

You can swap the left and right channels without having phase inversion. Pin 2 is V+ and pin 3 is V- on the XLR connector. You can not get phase inversion unless those two pins are swapped, which they are not.

Hope that helps.
Miroslav
Yes, the same with addition how you can test if it is connected the right way. Connect only left side to L on CFA3 and sound should come only form left side of HP... :) when not, connect it opposite way.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,309 of 1,806
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,310 of 1,806

Hi Steven,

Hope that helps.
Miroslav
yes, same

it's super simple really, just follow the L and R letters on every device consistently (wherever they may be located in the back of any device)

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,311 of 1,806
Have any of you ever heard of this headphone amplifier?

https://ferrum.audio/oor/
I have it on my hands with Hypsos
But also CFA-3 is still with me
I can't imagine I will change CFA-3 for the Ferrum OOR and Hypsos.
CFA-3 has way better tonality and headphone control, more opened soundstage and transparent clarity.

IMHO Ferrum OOR is a child near the adult CFA-3 ..
tested with Susvara

Attachments

• 20230114_235721.jpg
    20230114_235721.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,312 of 1,806
I have it on my hands with Hypsos
But also CFA-3 is still with me
I can't imagine I will change CFA-3 for the Ferrum OOR and Hypsos.
CFA-3 has way better tonality and headphone control, more opened soundstage and transparent clarity.

IMHO Ferrum OOR is a child near the adult CFA-3 ..
tested with Susvara
I hope you've had that CFA3 evaluated as that build appears to be from Felitsa which has very questionable quality especially regarding parts value.

EDIT: if this was the unit from Drakkard that was rebuilt you should be ok.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #1,313 of 1,806
EDIT: if this was the unit from Drakkard that was rebuilt you should be ok.
Yes thats my build :) I loaned it to @Boldakov for an audition.

Currently there are 5 amps there: CFA3, Nirvana, Beta 22 (balanced), Ferrum+OOR and a diy build amp.
CFA3 seems to be a winner for me with Nirvana as a possible alternative for a different mood.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #1,314 of 1,806

Currently there are 5 amps there: CFA3, Nirvana, Beta 22 (balanced), Ferrum+OOR and a diy build amp.
CFA3 seems to be a winner for me with Nirvana as a possible alternative for a different mood.

I have both the Nirvana and CFA-3. I think for most headphones I prefer the Nirvana, but for some I definitely prefer the CFA-3. Either case, they offer a distinction which is excellent to match to either headphone or mood. For me, the Nirvana has a bit more textured and rich bass; while the CFA-3 has a bit more clarity in the upper frequencies and expanded stage. Those are nuances. I generarally prefer my CFA-3 for my Atrium, for example, as its slow decay and "analog" sound (yea, sorry for the lose term) is balanced very well by the CFA-3 (the Nirvana combo is a touch too sweet in total). But I prefer my Caldera and L5000 for example off the Nirvana, as they are fast headphones that synergize wonderfully with tubes (and.. as I have mentioned earlier, I sometimes chain the Nirvana as a pre to the CFA-3..:))

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #1,315 of 1,806
I have both the Nirvana and CFA-3. I think for most headphones I prefer the Nirvana, but for some I definitely prefer the CFA-3. Either case, they offer a distinction which excellent to match to either headphone or mood. For me, the Nirvana has bit more textured and richer bass, while the CFA-3 has slight more clarity in upper frequencies and expanded stage. Those are nuances. I generarally prefer my CFA-3 for my Atrium, for example, as its slow decay and "analog" sound (year, sorry for the lose term) is balanced very well by the CFA-3 (the Nirvana combo is a touch too sweet in total). But I prefer my Caldera and L5000 for example off the Nirvana, as they are fast headphones that synergizes wonderfully with tubes. (and of course, as I have mentioned earlier, I sometimes chain the Nirvana as a pre to the CFA-3..:))
For me CFA has a better controlled and punchier bass, also overall less colored. I dont find Nirvana bass any better, on the contrary, it is a bit worse. But mids have that tubey feeling and it is good on some music, but not everywhere.

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #1,316 of 1,806
For me CFA has a better controlled and punchier bass, also overall less colored. I dont find Nirvana bass any better, on the contrary, it is a bit worse. But mids have that tubey feeling and it is good on some music, but not everywhere.
My impressions are quite different. But different ears, chain, and all...:)

(btw, the Nirvana is greatly impacted by tube selection. FWIW I use Siemens 5814A 1974 + Sophia Electric EL34-ST)

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #1,317 of 1,806

I had my suspicion.
I would agree although B22 is still incredible compared to today's flavor. I like Nirvana but it doesn't stand out.
What's the DIY amp?

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,318 of 1,806
My impressions are quite different. But different ears, chain, and all...:)

(btw, the Nirvana is greatly impacted by tube selection. FWIW I use Siemens 5814A 1974 + Sophia Electric EL34-ST)
Honestly i dont know which tubes are there)
I had my suspicion.
I would agree although B22 is still incredible compared to today's flavor. I like Nirvana but it doesn't stand out.
What's the DIY amp?
B22 is great. The only problem with it is the bright tonality. cfa3 is much more balanced in its presentation.
As for the custom amp - i dont know the details, it was handled to me for evaluation. I think it is based on a lynx ha84 (https://lynxaudio.jimdo.com/полупроводниковые-аналоговые-устройства/усилители-для-наушников/ )but with some adjustments. It is the black box cfa is standing on.
It does not stand up to the big boys, but it is also single ended, and the price is much lower. I suspect it to sound much better in a balanced mode.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #1,319 of 1,806
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,320 of 1,806

Users who are viewing this thread

Back