KG CFA3 headphone amp
Feb 3, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,336 of 1,806
dude! thank you!

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #1,337 of 1,806
As above said, Dukei is the first stop, but I think there were more mentioned is this thread before. Mine was assembled locally in Russia

Do you hear a difference between SS and ZF?
I do hear a difference. I think most people like the ZF but I like the SS. ZF is a little more forward and SS is a little further back and what I perceive to be more black space around the instruments. This feels to me as more holographic - somewhat like Utopia is little more forward and dynamic where as HD800 a little further back but both are very detailed. I think I'm in the minority in liking the sound a little further back.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,338 of 1,806
I do hear a difference. I think most people like the ZF but I like the SS. ZF is a little more forward and SS is a little further back and what I perceive to be more black space around the instruments. This feels to me as more holographic - somewhat like Utopia is little more forward and dynamic where as HD800 a little further back but both are very detailed. I think I'm in the minority in liking the sound a little further back.
The ZF is more suited to planars and SS for dynamics but definitely a preference shift offering flexibility.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,339 of 1,806
The ZF is more suited to planars and SS for dynamics but definitely a preference shift offering flexibility.
Can you explain that? Would love to learn about this

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #1,340 of 1,806
Can you explain that? Would love to learn about this
ZF has smoother treble extension with a stronger sense of dynamic oomph compared to SS which pulls back with a little more restraint.
I would focus the build with both stages and fine tune the parts selection such as EOL Japanese transistors vs Linear Systems to sweeten / correct the desired sound.

IMO it helps to have a previous reference Dynahi > SuSy to better understand the influence of sound i.e. S22 vs GRLV, 2SK170 vs LSK170, etc.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,341 of 1,806
ZF has smoother treble extension with a stronger sense of dynamic oomph compared to SS which pulls back with a little more restraint.
I would focus the build with both stages and fine tune the parts selection such as EOL Japanese transistors vs Linear Systems to sweeten / correct the desired sound.

IMO it helps to have a previous reference Dynahi > SuSy to better understand the influence of sound i.e. S22 vs GRLV, 2SK170 vs LSK170, etc.
Thanks!

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #1,342 of 1,806
Another CFA3 lives. Thanks to Kevin Gilmore for giving us a great design. Really excellent sound, and a fun (if not at times challenging) project. Learned how to better troubleshoot along the way, which is a nice bonus. Took time to match every transistor, and even curve traced the output transistors. Overkill, probably but I wanted an excuse to learn how to do it. There was however a surprising variance even among new bought straight from Newark/Mouser/Digikey (had to source parts from all 3). Its running with the stock THAT340, still want to try some of the various input options. Cant say enough about how good it truly sounds. I would typically want to go through and optimize parts / tweak things to attain final voicing, but honestly its so good i'm not sure I want to change a thing. I may even leave the THAT340. Never mind the mock up / test case, or the single power supply (second one built). I'm planning to get a proper case milled by Takachi (waiting on drawing approval).

Attachments

• IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #1,344 of 1,806
Congratulations. I cheated and got a lovely one made with Dukei, but can attest to just how fantastic these things sound. Best amp I’ve heard for my tastes. (AIC-10 and Enleum the closest.)

I've always thought I might want to get AIC-10 one day, but interesting to hear you find the CFA-3 is better (I have the CFA-3 and love it, so this may let me knock one FOMO off my ridiculous bucket list:wink:)

Mine is also a Dukei build. Really so well done (and such a nice guy)

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,346 of 1,806
I'm sure you'll hear one at CJNYC.
Haven't seen one at NYC and Chicago last year.. let's see.. things are definitely growing in scope.. who knows! :)

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #1,348 of 1,806
Do you think a CFA3 will be at CanJam?
This would be nice, as I'd love to hear one myself. The only way there will be one there if a member brings their own being they're only custom BTO amplifiers at this point, but in the future both, @Kerry (Eksonic) and @justin w. (HeadAmp) may be producing them.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,349 of 1,806
I've always thought I might want to get AIC-10 one day, but interesting to hear you find the CFA-3 is better (I have the CFA-3 and love it, so this may let me knock one FOMO off my ridiculous bucket list:wink:)

Mine is also a Dukei build. Really so well done (and such a nice guy)
Of course every cheap stuff of yours are better than ones out of your reach and experience lol While I’m not aic owner but afc and I can’t go back to listen to integrated amps, it is certainly not sth. to be beaten by this…

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,350 of 1,806
the CFA3 is not cheap stuff and is truly exceptional

Users who are viewing this thread

Back