KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,291 of 1,806
Thank you for this.

Would you recommend something else in that price range, or should I wait til I can step up to something in the realm of the Cabernet?
I would honestly recommend waiting and upgrading later avoiding the stopgap concession.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,292 of 1,806
A cross-post from the Caldera thread which may be relevant here regarding chaining the amps. I used a pre-ordered custom cable, connecting the Nirvana Headphone XLR out to the RCA-3 dual RCA inetrconnect inputs. The Nirvana is a very clean preamp and great preamp in this setup. Also, its Nirvana remote which drives its volume too quickly in direct use, works perfect in this chained setup.

1673505265014.png

Late night listening on the caldera. After a shoulder surgery, for practical reasons I had to choose one headphone in advance, and the Caldera was my choice; and I put the Auris Nirvana as a pre to the CFA-3, which lets me control the volume easily with the Auris remote. This setup gets a wonderful and tactile bass, combinig a hint of tube voicing with the super clear SS being most prominent. Definition on this track is wonderful. Fun burning the midnight oil with this wonderful creation. Revisiting favorite oldies with it is a bliss of rediscoveries.. ❤️

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,293 of 1,806
Speedy recovery buddy! Sulk in style.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,294 of 1,806
Jan 12, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,295 of 1,806
A cross-post from the Caldera thread which may be relevant here regarding chaining the amps. I used a pre-ordered custom cable, connecting the Nirvana Headphone XLR out to the RCA-3 dual RCA inetrconnect inputs. The Nirvana is a very clean preamp and great preamp in this setup. Also, its Nirvana remote which drives its volume too quickly in direct use, works perfect in this chained setup.

1673505265014.png

Late night listening on the caldera. After a shoulder surgery, for practical reasons I had to choose one headphone in advance, and the Caldera was my choice; and I put the Auris Nirvana as a pre to the CFA-3, which lets me control the volume easily with the Auris remote. This setup gets a wonderful and tactile bass, combinig a hint of tube voicing with the super clear SS being most prominent. Definition on this track is wonderful. Fun burning the midnight oil with this wonderful creation. Revisiting favorite oldies with it is a bliss of rediscoveries.. ❤️
You’re using the XLR headphone output so that you’re able to use the Nirvana remote, correct?

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,296 of 1,806
You’re using the XLR headphone output so that you’re able to use the Nirvana remote, correct?
Exactly. I’m using the headphone out to deliver preemptive application,, using both the Auris remote, which works great in the set up, as well as any tube rolling choices that I may have, which could impact some small level of the sound quality. The CFA-3 imports the biggest impact on the essential song quality, offering its powerful solid-state, bright and clear amplification. The synergy between the two of them seem to complement each other and work well. The Auris sonic value added is small, but it is notable, and offeras real finctiolanioity in
Volume control and tube tuning..

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #1,297 of 1,806
Exactly. I’m using the headphone out to deliver preemptive application,, using both the Auris remote, which works great in the set up, as well as any tube rolling choices that I may have, which could impact some small level of the sound quality. The CFA-3 imports the biggest impact on the essential song quality, offering its powerful solid-state, bright and clear amplification. The synergy between the two of them seem to complement each other and work well. The Auris sonic value added is small, but it is notable, and offeras real finctiolanioity in
Volume control and tube tuning..
Got it. And get well soon!

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,298 of 1,806
Jan 12, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,299 of 1,806
I was wondering if fellow head-fiers could solve this issue for me. On my DAC, the left and right output channels are on the left and right sides if facing the dac from the front. On the CFA-3 the L and R markings are on the left and right when I face the unit from the back.

So- when connecting the interconnects from the dac to the amplifier- do I connect the L to L and R to R even though they are in opposite locations (inverted) in the two pieces of equipment? I have tried both ways- and to my surprise it sounds different. I guess this is because the phase is switched.

I asked this to Dukei as well and awaiting his response, but I would appreciate any input from the thread as well.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #1,300 of 1,806
I was wondering if fellow head-fiers could solve this issue for me. On my DAC, the left and right output channels are on the left and right sides if facing the dac from the front. On the CFA-3 the L and R markings are on the left and right when I face the unit from the back.

So- when connecting the interconnects from the dac to the amplifier- do I connect the L to L and R to R even though they are in opposite locations (inverted) in the two pieces of equipment? I have tried both ways- and to my surprise it sounds different. I guess this is because the phase is switched.

I asked this to Dukei as well and awaiting his response, but I would appreciate any input from the thread as well.
:) Internal connection of XLR connector is the same, so you are only swapping Left channel for Right when not connected properly.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,301 of 1,806
do I connect the L to L and R to R even though they are in opposite locations

Yes!

Both conventions are, some with unconventionality, in existence. Always rely on what is marked behind as being correct because it could be arranged in one of those two ways. Just following the letters. It won’t feel physically symmetrical, but it will be sonically accurate.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,303 of 1,806
Thanks to everyone. It does sound different when L is connected to Ro and R to L. I think this is called phase inversion. Not sure-- but I wanted to get it right...

Thanks you...
Not really... phase inversion is when you connect opposite way + and - on one side of one of those cables, or speakers/headphones.

But this could be called channel inversion in your case.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,305 of 1,806
Whatever it is called- it really sounds different. Can explain why.
:) yes, but when you change left connection on your headphones for right it should sound the same again. :)) If it possible to swap each other cable connections on your HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back