Kenwood KH-K1000
Dec 18, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #211 of 308
^
If that is true, than they are very amp dependent.
Of course it is possible that my amp is not able to drive them properly.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #212 of 308
I have never heard of the amp in your profile - what is it?

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #213 of 308
Question for Kees and Skylab: does your ears fit in the earcups?
It is a big disappointment for me that they don't surround my ears.
My 16 year old son has the same problem with them.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #214 of 308
They do, although just barely. But I find them very, very comfortable.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #215 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard of the amp in your profile - what is it?

It's a DIY amp, made by a Polish guy who works in the Netherlands.
Here's what he wrote about them:

"Amplifier was build on January 2008 since then I was using it with my Sennheiser HD 650, and DIY DAC based on PCM 2702 as signal source. It's providing dynamic and nice sound without noises. With this configuration I never reach the maximum on level knob because then is very loud.

Amplifier is based on this AVT471 pcb (sklep.avt.pl/photo/_pdf/AVT471.pdf )it's projected mainly for high impendence headphones (more than 300 Ohm) but will also work with lower impendeces.

On the back there are:
- power socket (like in comuters)
- ground loop swith
- singnal input L R

On the front:
- 3mm red power on LED
- power switch
- volume knob
- 5mm red LED indicating too high signal level
- 6,3mm (big) jack for headphones

Inside:
On the left there is a symmetric transformer.
In the middle power supply, output voltage is -10V 0 +10V
On the right, main board.
Two LEDs Green and Yellow are indicating if L and R channel are working well."

But with the headphone out of my Denon pre-amp, the drums are also lacking impact, compared to the DT150 and GMP 250 (=QP 250).

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #216 of 308
Quote:

Amplifier is based on this AVT471 pcb (sklep.avt.pl/photo/_pdf/AVT471.pdf )it's projected mainly for high impendence headphones (more than 300 Ohm) but will also work with lower impendeces.

Well, there is the issue, I bet. The K1000 are 40 ohm - fairly low. They want an amp capable of significant current delivery, whereas an amp that will drive the HD650's well will be designed more for voltage delivery than current delivery.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #217 of 308
Hello, I tried the kenwood with my headroom gear, as stated in my sig. I am not sure what my gear was designed for but I always use it on high gain with headphones and then keep the ovlume pretty low.
I was not that impressed with the drums either, but then again the kenwood was VERY loose on my head and my ears fit in them easily, guess Ihave a small head and small ears... I was impressed with its soundstage though for a closed can but I think it had less seal (which might of course be largely due to the fit) then other closed headphones I have tried...
I have never tried those side by side with the akg k271 though neiter side by side with the denon d2000.
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #218 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The phones can do that perfectly, it is the amp that is lacking to properly control the drivers....

I agree. How about source or DAC?

I've been listening through these Kenwoods for a few months now (everyday... addicted, so involving). As I often listen through my computer I'd also like to add something if I may. For a while I've used the Beresford DAC with my Travagans Red and I have been happy, the Kenwoods sounded clear but a touch warm but better than many headphones I've bought and sold.

BUT, recently I've moved house and bought more gear and tried different combinations... and now my favorite combo is Carat-Ruby (used as DAC only) / Travagan's Red / Kenwood KH K1000 for closed listening. They sound clearer than with the Beresford.

In conclusion I'm not sure what I'm impressed with hahaha. All I can say is that Kenwood KH K1000 are enjoyable for everyday use, and the Carat Ruby has surprised me with its clarity.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #220 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've dug through the thread a bit - but I haven't found anyone talk about their isolation. How is it?

The isolation is not as good as Beyer DT770 and AKG K271, but better then a QP 250 and D2000.
They do attenuate outside noise to a certain degree.
My ears didn't fit in the earpads, so I gues they isolate better when they don't rest on the ears but surround them completely.

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #222 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've dug through the thread a bit - but I haven't found anyone talk about their isolation. How is it?

Isolate more than the Denon 2000 but less than the Ultrasone HFI700DVD.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #223 of 308
For those interested in this headphones they are for really good price now at pricejapan.com - $283

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #224 of 308
Ok, what do you get when you combine the earcups of an Audio-Technica ATH-D1000, and the earpads of an ATH-W1000? Add in a unique headband of its own, and you have the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Thanks to Rasto, I ordered these from Pricejapan.com late last Thursday evening. They were promptly shipped within a few hours of my order, and arrived in Connecticut today around noon. Two business days - not too shabby. Would that all retailers could provide such prompt service.

I love getting things from Japan, if only to go thru the ceremony of opening the box. It seems that the Japanese pride themselves with their ability to package everything as if it were a piece of fine porcelain. The Kenwoods, despite being a mid-priced headphone, were no exception. First, PJ's outer wrapping prepares the contents very well for their long journey. Inside, Kenwood pays more than a little extra attention to caring for these precious headphones with strategically placed cloth-like tissue, giving the new owner a sense that something important is inside. Nice extra touch.

Construction-wise, these are well made, reminiscent of other A-T's I've owned in the past (W2002, W1000), with the fit being better than any of them. Perhaps this was due to the lighter earcups vs. the woodies. Or maybe because of the unique, well-padded headband that flexes better than the A-T wings over my shaved chromedome. The earpad seal is better on my somewhat narrow head than any A-T headphone as well. Man, these are big headphones (just caught a gander of me in the mirror - yikes!). The cable seems decently constructed, entering each earcup individually in a dual-entry configuration (easy upgrades later?
evil_smiley.gif
).

Sonically, out of the box these are quite muted. Most noticable are the rolled-off highs. Coming from the Ultrasone camp, and being a long-time Etymotic fan, these are downright boring. Mids are rich, while the low-end is of decent quality, if not extremely extended, nor textured. I'd say these are very similiar to the W1000's I owned briefly, and wouldn't be surprised if they used the same drivers. Tonally somewhat like the JVC HP-DX1000, without the extremely wide soundstage, and less bass. If asked to liken them to a popular open can, they remind me alot of Sennheiser HD650's.

I'm really hoping these will open up with burn-in. Can any long-time owners offer input on this?

Also, I'm experimenting with sources & amps. My prior experience showed that Audio-Technica's are finicky in this regard, and liked amps with plenty of PRaT to wake them up. Any suggestions?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #225 of 308
They will open up with break in, but they will never give you Grado-like treble. Of course for me, that is a good thing
wink.gif
But they are a little laid back to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back