Kenwood KH-K1000
Sep 4, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #181 of 308
Oh the memories. I've still got a KR-6400. When I move apartment within the next few months I'll get it back out to use in the spare bedroom, which I'll be using as a listening room / office.

The KR-6400 hooked up to Bolivar speakers sounded great.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #182 of 308
^
So, the Kenwood amps are great.
But I still would like to learn more about the K1000.........

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #183 of 308
I'm enjoying these headphones. I'm happy with paying $350 (including customs tax) for them.

Some inexperienced observations are:

When I bought these, I thought after reading opinions, that they may be a touch too warm (I usually listen to Stax SR2050A at home and enjoy a slightly bright sound). Sure, they are a little warm but not veiled at all IMO, very clear sounding.

Ultrasone HFI 700 has better instrument separation (S-Logic effect?) and sub bass (is that rumble?), but other than that, the Kenwoods are better. Different league, especially in the midrange. I like the vocals far more on the Kenwoods.

From memory, the DT880 has more pronounced treble, but for me they were a little piercing anyway.

As Kees said, they are very involving. They draw you into the music.

I find myself listening to these for hours without the need to take them off, unlike the Ultrasones. They are comfortable, although for people with small heads, they may seem too big.

The bass is strong but it doesn't interfere with other parts of the music, in fact I'd say they aren't too bassy at all with the amp I'm using (Travagan's Red / said to be a touch bright of neutral?).

What I like above all else though, is that I seem to like them with all types of music! I don't know what it is, but I do.

For example, when I listen to house, some electronica or hip hop with the Stax, I'm always left feeling the need for more bass. With the Ultrasones I get that bass. But, when I listen to Kate Bush, vocalists in general, for example, I'm disappointed with the Ultrasones. So.... I was looking for a set of headphones for general purpose usage, and I think these will make me happy.

I've bounced from music like Derrick May to BT to Bent to Aphex Twin to Madness to Kate Bush to Pink Floyd to Led Zep to Emerson Lake and Palmer to Norah Jones to Fleetwood Mac to Haydn to Gipsy Kings to Hawkwind to Mike Oldfield etc, and haven't felt the need to rip them off my head. I just listened to U2's Miracle Drug, and it sounds better with my Grado SR 125 to my ears, but the Kenwood isn't too shabby. Just lacks a bit of up front 'punch' and brightness that Grado headphones have. The 'PRAT' is there. They obviously aren't going to be perfect for every kind of music, but won't perform terribly like some headphones can.

I wish I could compare them to other top end phones such as Denon AH D5000 and JVC Victor HP DX1000.

IMO they should be looked at, at least, when considering a pair of headphones in the $300 - $400 range for general all purpose use, ones that don't disappoint too much with different genres.

Could the Travagan amp be a good match with the kenwoods? I don't know, I have limited experience with amps, but I like that match.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #184 of 308
Thank kojebee, for the great write-up.
Makes me wanting these more
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #185 of 308
It is good to see that more people enjoy the KH-K1000.

A picture of my current favorite headphones:

attachment.php

Recabled with Jena cable by Markl.

More refined. More clarity.
INCREDIBLE detail in the bass section.
L3000.gif
atsmile.gif
L3000.gif
atsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #186 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A picture of my current favorite headphones:

Very nice, Kees.

Really your favorite over all the others in your profile? Looking forward to more detailed comparisions with the recabled Kenwood against your other top cans.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #187 of 308
Hmmmmm....maybe I should get mine recabled. I really do like the K1000, so much I am considering selling my Denon D5000, since I already use the JVC DX1000 most of the time anyway.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #189 of 308
I got mine on EBay for $319.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #190 of 308
Just checked today, nothing came out.

Since you own ESW9 as well, how do you find them vs Kenwood, THX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine on EBay for $319.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #191 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice, Kees.

Really your favorite over all the others in your profile? Looking forward to more detailed comparisions with the recabled Kenwood against your other top cans.

The main reason I use them more than any other pair of phones is that they sound excellent with literally anything I want to listen to.
And my musical taste is very eclectic, it ranges from middle ages to experimental jazz, from solo voice to large orchestral works. And they perform excellent on everything. (minor drawback: piano sounds better through Ultrasone, but you can't win them all).
AKG K1000, JVC DX1000, Stax OII, Grado PS-1 all do a lot of things more beautifull than the Kenwood, but they don't do EVERYTHING as good as the Kenwood. The Kenwood are (to my ears) the ultimate allrounders.
The only serious competition in that regard (I think, and in my collection) are the balanced HD650.
The AKG K1000 are truly excellent, but if you really want to rock, the Kenwood beat them hands down (on PRAT and bass impact).
The same goes for the OII.
On the other hand, if you want to really rock the PS-1 beat the Kenwood (on speed and liquid midrange), but on classical or orchestral work the Kenwood beat the s^&t out of the PS-1 (soundstage, imaging, sheer body).
And they really draw me into the music.
Maybe this explains a bit why I feel so good with the KH-K1000.
o2smile.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #193 of 308
Sep 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #194 of 308
Thanks for the info. Not sure about PriceJapan shipping charges to EU, cant see how to order either, but from seyo are quite reasonable.

Hey, seyo have Russian language as well, are they Russians? Ahh, no, Japanese, see it now...

Edit

Damn, seyo is cheaper than pricejapan, if you want ESW9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my mine from here PriceJapan.com

You could get them from here too SEYO-shop.com*»*Peripherals*»*Headphones*»*KENWOOD*»*KE NWOOD KH-K1000

I've had good service from both before now.

Ebay seems a bit pricey.

People would have to factor in custom charges depending on where you live.

These are the first headphones I'd call an excellent 'allrounder', just like kees.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #195 of 308
PriceJapan's price to Europe with EMS is 234 € . About the same as Seyo. but you have to pay vat + import duties on those cans. Though, when I ordered AD2000 from PriceJapan they marked the customs value to be 10200 yens, so Estonian customs calculated VAt and duties on that amount of money. Wasn't very excessive sum to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back