Kenwood KH-K1000
Oct 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #301 of 308
  hmm I like the... non smooth or rough presentation of the w1000x. It's really my favorite... just wish I had a warmer dac to pair it with at home >.>

Still I would really need to listen to the K1000 with the w1000x next to me, as they sound like... opposites sides of the same coin... more importantly I wonder how the K1000 compares to the ALpha Dog ;O [considering it's cheaper I'd love to see that comparison]

Although I have read ppl saying the KH k1000 is colored which is NOT something I want. The w1000x is [imo] after mods and L3000 pads very balanced with a tilt to the treble, I would not want a smoother more polite presentaion... I would want a more refined presentation.

Like for example, My He 400 was a refined Dt 990, the he 400 [like the dt 990] the he 400 has a boosted bass, bright treble and slighty recessed mids

the differance is the HE 400 has better Sub Bass and Low/central Mid Presentation. In addition it has better imaging, and when Balanced, [with J$money Pads] the HE 400 has better instrument seperation

so I think the KH K1000 is more of a side grade, a slighty different sound. Simmilar voicing but a different focus... I want something that has the w1000x sound, but smoother treble. And honestly at this point, the best thing to do for my w1000x may be to run them balanced through a Tube Amp... I think that would be the only real way to upgrade them!

Yeah, I understand the concept of a "side grade", but thanks for the examples....... you asked a question on the W1000x thread about similar sound signature but more refined, smoother treble . I answered by saying the Kenwoods
 are that to my ears . Simple as that.(and they have better separation and bass)

I can make that comparison because I own both and I can formulate an opinion by unplugging one and plugging in the other.

BTW I do not like the W1000x with tubes, but hey give it a shot you might.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #302 of 308

Yeah, I understand the concept of a "side grade", but thanks for the examples....... you asked a question on the W1000x thread about similar sound signature but more refined, smoother treble . I answered by saying the Kenwoods
 are that to my ears . Simple as that.(and they have better separation and bass)

I can make that comparison because I own both and I can formulate an opinion by unplugging one and plugging in the other.

BTW I do not like the W1000x with tubes, but hey give it a shot you might.

Hmm I will have to try it then, and the reason I want tubes, is the W1000x sounds thin out of my AGD NFB 10ES2 

Still I'll have some money to play with in Juanry. I'll have to give them a try, how is the sound stage? 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #303 of 308
  Hmm I will have to try it then, and the reason I want tubes, is the W1000x sounds thin out of my AGD NFB 10ES2

Still I'll have some money to play with in Juanry. I'll have to give them a try, how is the sound stage?

Like I said, they are not the best I own, but I do like them a ton for long sessions/movies and etc.  The sound stage is about on the same level as the HD650.

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #304 of 308
  Like I said, they are not the best I own, but I do like them a ton for long sessions/movies and etc.  The sound stage is about on the same level as the HD650.

Hmm, yea I'll have to hear them first :3

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #305 of 308
  hmm I like the... non smooth or rough presentation of the w1000x. It's really my favorite... just wish I had a warmer dac to pair it with at home >.>

Still I would really need to listen to the K1000 with the w1000x next to me, as they sound like... opposites sides of the same coin... more importantly I wonder how the K1000 compares to the ALpha Dog ;O [considering it's cheaper I'd love to see that comparison] 

Although I have read ppl saying the KH k1000 is colored which is NOT something I want. The w1000x is [imo] after mods and L3000 pads very balanced with a tilt to the treble, I would not want a smoother more polite presentaion... I would want a more refined presentation.

Like for example, My He 400 was a refined Dt 990, the he 400 [like the dt 990] the he 400 has a boosted bass, bright treble and slighty recessed mids

the differance is the HE 400 has better Sub Bass and Low/central Mid Presentation. In addition it has better imaging, and when Balanced, [with J$money Pads] the HE 400 has better instrument seperation

so I think the KH K1000 is more of a side grade, a slighty different sound. Simmilar voicing but a different focus... I want something that has the w1000x sound, but smoother treble. And honestly at this point, the best thing to do for my w1000x may be to run them balanced through a Tube Amp... I think that would be the only real way to upgrade them! 

Through a tube amp and single ended. You can also roll the capacitors in the amp. Elna SILMIC II. line of capacitors slightly flattens sharp treble.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #306 of 308
  Through a tube amp and single ended. You can also roll the capacitors in the amp. Elna SILMIC II. line of capacitors slightly flattens sharp treble.

Well seeing as I would honestly want a tube along the lines of the Lyr... I figured instead of paying $400 for a lyr that will be used with only one headphone, why not save a little longer and just shoot for a LD MK VI+ fully balanced tube, good for low and high impedance  

I've moved on from se at home though, I though about grabbing the Schiit Vali, but it's too noisy according to many reports for use with very sensitive headphones, 

either way good point though. Although is there any sub $200 Tube [hybrid or otl] that would fit that desciption again I liked the reports of the Vali's sound... ofc without the noise 

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #307 of 308
  Well seeing as I would honestly want a tube along the lines of the Lyr... I figured instead of paying $400 for a lyr that will be used with only one headphone, why not save a little longer and just shoot for a LD MK VI+ fully balanced tube, good for low and high impedance

I've moved on from se at home though, I though about grabbing the Schiit Vali, but it's too noisy according to many reports for use with very sensitive headphones,

either way good point though. Although is there any sub $200 Tube [hybrid or otl] that would fit that desciption again I liked the reports of the Vali's sound... ofc without the noise

Why would you only be able to use the Lyr for "one headphone"?  It does well with low and high imp headphones.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #308 of 308
  Why would you only be able to use the Lyr for "one headphone"?  It does well with low and high imp headphones.

I have no interest in owning another SE amp, both my open headphones are balanced, so I'd like to only drive them balanced using a SE tube... well would seem like a waste when I can get a balanced tube 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back