KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #227 of 1,358
Being an on ear, glasses shouldn't come into play. But headsize and ear shape will have an impact as will volume levels. For me I base isolation on how much noise I can hear at lower volumes. Using my standard I find the M500 just OK in this area especially compared to active noise cancelling technology.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #228 of 1,358
I received the UE900 tips today and it seems for me, the best tip choice.  They retain the same sound and fit comfortably.  I can use the medium tips and I get deeper insertion and if I use the large tips, it's basically fits the same as the large stock tips but with better comfort.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #229 of 1,358
Quote:
I received the UE900 tips today and it seems for me, the best tip choice.  They retain the same sound and fit comfortably.  I can use the medium tips and I get deeper insertion and if I use the large tips, it's basically fits the same as the large stock tips but with better comfort.  

Yep

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #230 of 1,358
I find the M500s to isolate about as much as your average on ear which isn't much but better than open cans. The only isolation that is decent for on ear is the DT1350, but they need to clamp so hard, that the isolation comes at a price. 

The memory foam does tend to muffle enough of the outside noise on the M500 that its not all that distracting. IEMs are needed for any serious isolation. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #231 of 1,358
My UE900 Tips started to come,off in my ear but they are the best tip for seal and comfort. I will probably switch back to them and see if I can make a lip on the stem to help hold them in place.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #232 of 1,358
Quote:
hmm isolation on the m500 was excellent when i tested it...
totally cant hear the salesman 3 feet away trying to explain the features..
it was a total shut out, to me this m500 would kill the NC market....i dun wear specs.
i am puzzled y its rated a 2 in the charts...
can someone else chim in on the isolation...
or were my ears too sweaaaaty...?? lol

edit: i am a suspecting the size of the head might affect the isolation...
macedonia had issues with the fit of the ue9000 m which fits me fine. 
the m500 is slightly loose on my head.  anyway...jus a guess.

Was the music playing? 
size]
 Sorry, next to the other headphones I've listed the M500s and Aviators had the least noise isolation. To clarify, they do NOT leak and are quite good at that, but next to the noise cancelling headphones or the Momentums, they're just not as strong at noise isolation. If they isolated as well as my Momentums, I'd rank them first overall. 

FWIW, yes I did have fit issues with the UE9000s (too small) but it more a lack of comfort of the headband and I have zero fit issues with the M500s (thus my top score for comfort). 
size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #233 of 1,358
Quote:
Being an on ear, glasses shouldn't come into play. But headsize and ear shape will have an impact as will volume levels. For me I base isolation on how much noise I can hear at lower volumes. Using my standard I find the M500 just OK in this area especially compared to active noise cancelling technology.

Good point...except for the DT1350s...they put my ears in a three point bend and hurt like heck after 15 minutes. 

I find the M500s to isolate about as much as your average on ear which isn't much but better than open cans. The only isolation that is decent for on ear is the DT1350, but they need to clamp so hard, that the isolation comes at a price. 

The memory foam does tend to muffle enough of the outside noise on the M500 that its not all that distracting. IEMs are needed for any serious isolation. 

Good points all around and match mine very closely. As it turns out my ears no longer want to work with IEMs...after an hour or so they get clogged like I have an ear infection. So I think I'm done with IEMs. But that said, the QC15s are better on a plane for noise isolation as the noise cancellation is that darn good!

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #234 of 1,358
Started to wonder if the tip issue I was experiencing was just natural oils on the stem and tip so used some grease cutting dish soap on the tips and carefully washed the stem of the IEM with a damp cloth.

time will tell but it seems more secure and the seal in ear is also more secure so I guess washing the tips will be a regular exercise.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #235 of 1,358
I'm using Monster Supertips (foam) with my M200 and the fit is much better than the stock tips, though comfort and fit still leaves a lot to be desired. I choose the Monster tip only cos it is the only tips in my arsenal that can be slipped on, can grip the sound tub well (without falling off in my ear) and is reasonably isolating.

Welcome other tips suggestions besides Monster and UEs

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #237 of 1,358
Quote:
I'm using Monster Supertips (foam) with my M200 and the fit is much better than the stock tips, though comfort and fit still leaves a lot to be desired. I choose the Monster tip only cos it is the only tips in my arsenal that can be slipped on, can grip the sound tub well (without falling off in my ear) and is reasonably isolating.

Welcome other tips suggestions besides Monster and UEs

I have ordered the comply foam tips, which are compatible with the M200s...
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/tx-500/

I will provide a further update once I have worn them in

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #238 of 1,358
Quote:
Was the music playing? 
size]
 Sorry, next to the other headphones I've listed the M500s and Aviators had the least noise isolation. To clarify, they do NOT leak and are quite good at that, but next to the noise cancelling headphones or the Momentums, they're just not as strong at noise isolation.

The M500 seems a great choice for those, like me, needing a closed headphone the doesn't isolate completely to use at the office.  So far so good.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #240 of 1,358
I know the B&W P5 has a braided replacement cable that is straight plug but only 1.2 metres

Sennheiser HD200 replacement cable is 3 metres and straight plug

I have no knowledge of the US market. Maybe have a custom order put in with a maker if you cannot find one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back