KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #286 of 1,358
Quote:
 I'm expecting the S2 in any day now. I'll let  you know after I get it and it has a good burn-in.

Very nice! Only D's had both so far but I don't really think he was willing to give the M200 the ol' college try to get the best out of them so I just feel a second opinion on the two is in order.

I was thinking about the M200 since I could get it from Newegg for $184.99 total cost. Didn't pull the trigger though. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #287 of 1,358
Quote:

Very nice! Only D's had both so far but I don't really think he was willing to give the M200 the ol' college try to get the best out of them so I just feel a second opinion on the two is in order.

I was thinking about the M200 since I could get it from Newegg for $184.99 total cost. Didn't pull the trigger though. 

Yeah, unfortunately Ds couldn't get a good fit, but when he forced the fit (so to speak) he was able to hear how brilliant the M200 sounds. He says the S2 isn't too far behind, so I should find out soon. $184.99 is a bargain for the M200's sound. It even outshines the H-200 quite a bit (which I think is another bang for the buck in so-called mid-fi).

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #288 of 1,358
I owned both S2 and M200 as well. The M200 has better bass in my opinion and slightly more forward mids. I think the S2 may have better isolation though. Both have fit issues requiring different tips to resolve them but the M200 tips in particular are going be very problematic for people. I think the M200 scales better with an amp. They are both hard to drive but the S2 is not as hard as the M200.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #289 of 1,358
I would dare to say that the S2 has more of a neutral signature of the two.  Most likely due to bigger bass of the M200's.  The S2's are closer to the M500's signature but of course different sounding.  

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #290 of 1,358
Oops, forgot about you two having them as well :) Sounds like I would have to choose the M200 over the S2 from the impressions. Not choosing between those two though. ATM, really only choosing between the M200, Heaven V Aging, and the VSD7 or VSD7 Bass with the new FiiO cable(if the VSD7 is a solid improvement over the GR07). The Astrotec AX-60 is possible as well but more info is needed on that one(a fellow veteran HF-ier is getting one soon).

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #292 of 1,358
Hi - I've heard great things of the KEF M500's, and I have to ask:

Is there ANYTHING at all I should be worried about if I get them? Any areas they disapoint in, sound/build/looks/usability-wise? I am upgrading from the M50 and I have owned the V-MODA M-100 as well, so If possible, could someone tell me how they compare? How is the clamping force? Are they lose at all? Tight?

Thank you all in advance!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #293 of 1,358
The M500 is loose enough to fall off my head if I bend over (I have a medium size head) so I have to shift the band to the back of my head. They have limited isolation because of this.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #294 of 1,358
Quote:
Hi - I've heard great things of the KEF M500's, and I have to ask:

Is there ANYTHING at all I should be worried about if I get them? Any areas they disapoint in, sound/build/looks/usability-wise? I am upgrading from the M50 and I have owned the V-MODA M-100 as well, so If possible, could someone tell me how they compare? How is the clamping force? Are they lose at all? Tight?

Thank you all in advance!

Clamping force is gonna be a little loose if anything.  If I bend forward, it will fall forward.  I thought the M50 were like vice grips and the M100's are a little tight but not bad.  M500's are extremely comfortable.  Probably the best on ears for comfort.  Build is top notch also, probably better than M100's because of the hinge on the M100's, although mine are still fine.  Sound is balanced with good bass.  Not close to the amount of the M100's or even the M50's but it's definitely not missing in the music.  Vocals will be much more forward compared to the other two.  Treble is more extended than the M100.  I found the M50's treble peaky and didn't sound right.  I like the M100's treble because it's smooth and non-fatiguing.  M500's are more detailed and lively.  Wow, these are all M-series, lol.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #295 of 1,358
Quote:
Clamping force is gonna be a little loose if anything.  If I bend forward, it will fall forward.  I thought the M50 were like vice grips and the M100's are a little tight but not bad.  M500's are extremely comfortable.  Probably the best on ears for comfort.  Build is top notch also, probably better than M100's because of the hinge on the M100's, although mine are still fine.  Sound is balanced with good bass.  Not close to the amount of the M100's or even the M50's but it's definitely not missing in the music.  Vocals will be much more forward compared to the other two.  Treble is more extended than the M100.  I found the M50's treble peaky and didn't sound right.  I like the M100's treble because it's smooth and non-fatiguing.  M500's are more detailed and lively.  Wow, these are all M-series, lol.  

It was my understanding that the M-100's had a very specially designed hinge, so if anything I thought the M-100 would at least have that going for it.

If the KEF has less bass than the M50's, I can't expect to like them too much.. This coupled with the loose fit and less isolation means I'm probably going to have to pass on them. I want something balanced, that has bass in between the M50 and M-100's... Not sure if I will be able to find it now.. Sigh.. 
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #296 of 1,358
Quote:
It was my understanding that the M-100's had a very specially designed hinge, so if anything I thought the M-100 would at least have that going for it.

If the KEF has less bass than the M50's, I can't expect to like them too much.. This coupled with the loose fit and less isolation means I'm probably going to have to pass on them. I want something balanced, that has bass in between the M50 and M-100's... Not sure if I will be able to find it now.. Sigh.. 
size]

I only mentioned the hinge because of the issues of a few that I've seen posted.  It does look weak though.  The KEF's look to be solidly built all throughout.  I haven't had the M50's in a long time but I only kept them for a couple of weeks because I didn't care for the sound or fit.  My impressions of the bass could be a little off but I do think it might have had more than the M50's.  Unless you're a complete basshead, I think the KEF's are more than satisfactory in the bass department.  I enjoy the bass more so than the M100's by a good margin.  

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #299 of 1,358
Quote:

size]

you could head to town and hit up Headphonebar and try them out yourself to be sure worth the "short" drive, just an option

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #300 of 1,358
Anyone know how either of these fare when lying down in bed? Does the M500 start falling off due to gravity? I'd think headband being metal may cause that. And do the M200 remained sealed and comfortable when lying down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back