KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #316 of 1,358
Quote:
Have just received a pack of Universal Ear tips I ordered from Handheld Audio - these are for the UE500,700, not the UE900, which are different and not as good with the M200.

The large pair of these silicon single flange UE 500/700 tips really are the very best combination of fit, comfort and above all sound that I have found so far. Up till now I had settled on the medium stock tips, but no more - these new ones are utterly perfect. They really do make M200s sing.

Let me just say this about the M200s - these are the best IEMs I have ever heard, and I have heard lots in my time. I think KEF have hit this one out the park.

Wait... you're saying UE 500/700 tips are better than the UE 900 tips for M200? 
UE 500/700 tips fit the same nozzle size as Comply T-200, which is much narrower than the UE 900 tips which is the same as Comply T-500
Comply T-400 sized tips can fit onto M200 like the Auvio Tips, but T-200 sized?
M200's nozzle diameter is 6mm

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #317 of 1,358
Quote:
Just to clarify - the tips I am using came in the Ultimate Ears Super Fi Earphone Universal Fit Kit via Amazon UK, fulfilled by Handheld Audio over here. These have a different size (larger) bore opening and design to the UE900 tips, as I have also ordered those and they don't work nearly so well with the M200s.

In terms of Comply - you have to stretch the UE Superfi tips over the nozzle of the M200s with a little effort - they don't just slide on. So I doubt Comply will work, as aren't they a rigid core? It's been a long time since I used any Comply tips, so I can't say for sure - can't abide those foam things, as they suck all the life out of music.

Does that help?

I'm using comply tip finder to search for the right sized tips. I'm referring to Comply T-500 and T-200 just for their fit on nozzle sizes, with T-500 being able to fit the largest nozzle size among their T series. I don't like to use the Comply tips myself.
http://www.complyfoam.com/m200/
It's great that T-200 sized tips can fit onto the M200 and sound great.
I've read that UE 900 tips are different from the older Super Fi series, so might it be the case for UE 500/700 tips as well
I'm tip-rolling and trying to find the best tips for the M200

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #318 of 1,358
Based off reviews I am very interested in purchasing M-500s.  A shame it's hard to find a store/dealer to demo them. Anyone know a dealer near NYC?

Anyhow, I'm looking to an alternative to Momentums--they've got great build quality and an even sound, also easy to EQ.  But when you really try to crank them up or amp them that mid-bass bias is unavoidable.  Not a big fan of the retro-look either.

It sounds like the KEF M-500s will resolve high frequencies better since people describe it as comparable to DT1350s (which are just not a highly versatile or comfortable can IMO but incredibly detailed for a portable!)

My question to you users/owners:  Just how bad is the noise isolation issue for these guys?  I've read reviews it's not the greatest in that department and I must have some isolation; I take a lot of noisy subway rides.

Let me know!  Thanks!

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #319 of 1,358
UE900 tips work quite well with the M200 for me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #320 of 1,358
Aug 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #321 of 1,358
Used the M200 most of the day at work. I have to take back a comment I wrote in the first impressions that I might want more sub bass from them. These are rumbling pretty nicely and I don’t think there’s a need for more from something this size.

Still extremely happy with these. My recent points of comparison have been uber expensive 1000 dollar TOTL IEMs and the M200 come close to them. But when I think about some of the 300 and 400 dollar IEMs I’ve tried (Grado GR10, Heir 4.ai, Logitech UE900) then the KEF M200 become an even more incredible value. I honestly think these are better than all three of those other, more expensive IEMs. More and better bass, excellent mids and clarity, fast and detailed, wide soundstage.

Their only real flaw I can think of is the potential for poor fit due to the large bores

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #322 of 1,358
Quote:
Used the M200 most of the day at work. I have to take back a comment I wrote in the first impressions that I might want more sub bass from them. These are rumbling pretty nicely and I don’t think there’s a need for more from something this size.

Still extremely happy with these. My recent points of comparison have been uber expensive 1000 dollar TOTL IEMs and the M200 come close to them. But when I think about some of the 300 and 400 dollar IEMs I’ve tried (Grado GR10, Heir 4.ai, Logitech UE900) then the KEF M200 become an even more incredible value. I honestly think these are better than all three of those other, more expensive IEMs. More and better bass, excellent mids and clarity, fast and detailed, wide soundstage.

Their only real flaw I can think of is the potential for poor fit due to the large boresX2 

Concur with your M200 comparison to some of the $300 to $500 universal IEMs I've heard. The M200 clearly wins.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #324 of 1,358
Quote:

What improvements does your Aurisonics AS-2 have vs. the M200?

Fuller sound mainly. The AS-2 is a monitor so it sound signature is quite different. It's more like a clearer and more detail SM3 (if you ever heard that earphone form a few years back). The M200, on the other hand, is like like listening to an audiophile hi-fi stereo in an earphone. The bass is presented differently in both, but I would be hard pressed to say one bass is better than the other. I do think, however, you get more details (and headphone-like quality) in the mids of the AS-2 than the M200. The M200 is a more fun sounding phone. The AS-2 is drier sounding and may not be for everyone, but the details, height, and depth in the IEM won't be denied. It's almost like and apples and oranges comparison. Technically I think the AS-2 is better, but enjoyment wise I probably like both equally. Of course, the AS-2 is designed to fit my ear specifically, so that counts for something too.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #325 of 1,358
Quote:

Fuller sound mainly. The AS-2 is a monitor so it sound signature is quite different. It's more like a clearer and more detail SM3 (if you ever heard that earphone form a few years back). The M200, on the other hand, is like like listening to an audiophile hi-fi stereo in an earphone. The bass is presented differently in both, but I would be hard pressed to say one bass is better than the other. I do think, however, you get more details (and headphone-like quality) in the mids of the AS-2 than the M200. The M200 is a more fun sounding phone. The AS-2 is drier sounding and may not be for everyone, but the details, height, and depth in the IEM won't be denied. It's almost like and apples and oranges comparison. Technically I think the AS-2 is better, but enjoyment wise I probably like both equally. Of course, the AS-2 is designed to fit my ear specifically, so that counts for something too.

Based on your descriptions, if I had both of them, I bet that I would end up listening to and enjoying the M200's the most. Hmm!

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #326 of 1,358
I've checked and swapped all my sources and interconnects and compared with other IEMs, the 10mm LF dyamic driver on the left side of my M200 is no longer working. I've used the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test and it's clear to me there's no bass at all on my left side. Just had it for less than 2 weeks. No I didn't abuse it. I've other IEMs that still work fine for quite a number of years till now. I'm very sad 
frown.gif

I'm now in a dilemma whether to replace it or refund it. I'm very happy with the SQ, and good thing I did choose carefully to make sure I can return it, but it's only been with me for less than 2 weeks.. I'm afraid that it'll die on me again if I were to replace it..

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #327 of 1,358
I've checked and swapped all my sources and interconnects and compared with other IEMs, the 10mm LF dyamic driver on the left side of my M200 is no longer working. I've used the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test and it's clear to me there's no bass at all on my left side. Just had it for less than 2 weeks. No I didn't abuse it. I've other IEMs that still work fine for quite a number of years till now. I'm very sad 
frown.gif

I'm now in a dilemma whether to replace it or refund it. I'm very happy with the SQ, and good thing I did choose carefully to make sure I can return it, but it's only been with me for less than 2 weeks.. I'm afraid that it'll die on me again if I were to replace it..

I suggest you replace it. The quality of the sound is so damn good. Give Kef a second chance. They deserve it with having made a $200 IEM sounding far better than a lot of $500 ones...

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #329 of 1,358
Quote:
I suggest you replace it. The quality of the sound is so damn good. Give Kef a second chance. They deserve it with having made a $200 IEM sounding far better than a lot of $500 ones...

True that. It simply stomps over other similarly priced IEMs. I'm very happy with the SQ at such a price. Driver flex and tip issues are minor annoyance but nothing major. I'll have them replaced and hopefully it's just my luck getting a faulty pair

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #330 of 1,358
True that. It simply stomps over other similarly priced IEMs. I'm very happy with the SQ at such a price. Driver flex and tip issues are minor annoyance but nothing major. I'll have them replaced and hopefully it's just my luck getting a faulty pair

Happy to know you decided to stay in the club! The seal and tip issues (I also have them) are really really nothing compared to the unique pleasure of listening the M200 can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back