Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #121 of 730
[
Yes Wachara, I have a D10 but it malfunctioned for some reason and I never got the time to go through the Warranty claim. Currently, it's just sitting and we use it to test our connector tolerances. Might be the most expensive connector tester but hey, it does the job.

I do think that the D10 is more suited for earphones than full-size Headphones.

That’s too bad. It’s a lovely amp and I use it more often than any other amps that I have. It drives all my DIY phones pretty well too.

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #124 of 730
Hi,

Would STAX SRM-D50 be able to drive the RR1's.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #125 of 730
Was there at CanJam and listened to the RR1's on a Mjolnir amp. Both myself and my friend were very impressed. A lot of bass for an electrostat, lowest reaching I've heard besides Voce. Very fast, coming from a planar they hit you as dry but enjoyably so. I'm not an expert on electrostats or electrostat amps, so I can't say how big a role the amp had here. All I can say is I'd take them over Jade II ANY day of the week. This was the most surprising and interesting product I saw at CanJam Socal 2019. For $500? If I had an e-stat amp I'd buy a pair, easily.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #127 of 730
This headphone looks very interesting. Sounds like a great headphone at a reasonable price, which is something this hobby is in desperate need of.

The concerns with needing an electrostatic amp are real though...seems there's potential to add a fair bit of cost to them.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #128 of 730
This headphone looks very interesting. Sounds like a great headphone at a reasonable price, which is something this hobby is in desperate need of.

The concerns with needing an electrostatic amp are real though...seems there's potential to add a fair bit of cost to them.

Smartest thing Kaldas could do right now besides marketing is to find a partner that can provide a cheap e-stat energizer and/or e-stat amp they can package with the headphones. If they can produce a complete e-stat headphone+amp package below $999 I think that would make a few headlines.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #129 of 730
Smartest thing Kaldas could do right now besides marketing is to find a partner that can provide a cheap e-stat energizer and/or e-stat amp they can package with the headphones. If they can produce a complete e-stat headphone+amp package below $999 I think that would make a few headlines.

STAX has the basics covered for starting out... buy used STAX SRM-252S driver for a few hundred $ and you're good to go with your first starter sytem, or step up to used STAX SRM-323S/353X driver units for $500-$600. You can also use stereo amps with electrostatic transformers (like the Mjolnir Audio modded STAX SRD-7... which is the route I went after the SRM-323S because already had very good stereo amp that I wanted to see if was an improvement over the SRM-323S - it was most definitely a noticeable improvement in subbass/midbass, fullness of sound, punch, and dynamics.)

Mjolnir Audio and others have you covered if you want to step up beyond what STAX can deliver.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #130 of 730
Was there at CanJam and listened to the RR1's on a Mjolnir amp. Both myself and my friend were very impressed. A lot of bass for an electrostat, lowest reaching I've heard besides Voce. Very fast, coming from a planar they hit you as dry but enjoyably so. I'm not an expert on electrostats or electrostat amps, so I can't say how big a role the amp had here. All I can say is I'd take them over Jade II ANY day of the week. This was the most surprising and interesting product I saw at CanJam Socal 2019. For $500? If I had an e-stat amp I'd buy a pair, easily.

Sounds like an amazing headphone and that for $500.

Hate me for asking it, but I can't help wondering what these guys could do for $1000 :).
Could it be better, or just slightly better, or just slightly different? Is there any area of the design that could be improved if bound by a larger price cap.
Or should we just accept that the RR1 already hits the sensible optimum (on the commercial-audiophile chart) for no more than $500? :)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #131 of 730
It's also fair to note that some have commented that the amp choice does have a noticeable impact on the RR1.

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #133 of 730
Sounds like an amazing headphone and that for $500.

Hate me for asking it, but I can't help wondering what these guys could do for $1000 :).
Could it be better, or just slightly better, or just slightly different? Is there any area of the design that could be improved if bound by a larger price cap.
Or should we just accept that the RR1 already hits the sensible optimum (on the commercial-audiophile chart) for no more than $500? :)

A lot can always be improved. I just heard these for the first time. Good but can be beaten.
Contemplating if it's worth to buy it as a "Company Expense" or not :)

20190623_150814.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #134 of 730
A lot can always be improved. I just heard these for the first time. Good but can be beaten.
Contemplating if it's worth to buy it as a "Company Expense" or not :)

Your next challenge: made similar for 1/4 price:o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back