Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Jan 26, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #721 of 730
I've had the RR1 Conquest Premium for a couple of days now.
Some early impressions:

• 2nd best treble/bass separation I've ever heard (below Sennheiser HE-1, and just above of T+A Solitare P)
(treble/bass separation = no loss of treble volume while the bass is slapping hard - almost all headphones fail this test - only HE-1 can do it 100% perfectly)
• medium/small staging
• imaging is fine
• sounds like a 'headphone', not a STAX
• kinda reminds me of HD650 tuning and staging
• why is an electrostatic headphone making this much bass? o_0
• timbre has no hyper-realism or veil - VERY safe middle-of-the-road sense of realism (extremely good timbre)

I think it is objectively my current best headphone.

(Subjectively it can't tick every box - I am a soundstage junkie and part-time basshead.)

I think bass comes from strain on diaphragm.
The more strain, the less rumble of bass.
Dust covers sealed the air both side (no strain on dust cover so it will not produce sound). I guess audio may be more detail without it

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #722 of 730
I think bass comes from strain on diaphragm.
The more strain, the less rumble of bass.
Dust covers sealed the air both side (no strain on dust cover so it will not produce sound). I guess audio may be more detail without it
Hmm... I know enough about e-stats to know that I don't want to remove those dust covers XD
I'm no stranger to DIY projects, but future e-stat maintenance is something I want to prevent as much as possible.

I actually think they're already incredibly detailed. Easily the most detailed headphone I own.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #723 of 730
Hmm... I know enough about e-stats to know that I don't want to remove those dust covers XD
I'm no stranger to DIY projects, but future e-stat maintenance is something I want to prevent as much as possible.

I actually think they're already incredibly detailed. Easily the most detailed headphone I own.
Yes, I see.
I just say driver was too much/heavily dust proof. Not just what we see from outside.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #724 of 730
Yes, I see.
I just say driver was too much/heavily dust proof. Not just what we see from outside.
Have other owners modified their RR1's and put in thinner dustproof material?

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #725 of 730
Have other owners modified their RR1's and put in thinner dustproof material?
There are total 4 layers each driver for dust protection.
(Mylar and fiber x 2 sides).
IMO fiber is enough.
If I understand correctly, mylar for steam/humudity protection.
Havent heard someone remove mylar yet.
Thinner or lighter dust cover may not possible to implement by user. It already thin as the diaphragm

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #726 of 730
Block the groove (air venting) can add to the bass in exchange of driver safety (rough wear on and take off will harm the diaphragm due to raising of pressure).
I block the port about 90% and carefully use

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #728 of 730
I tried the closed-vent mod today, and I think it has been greatly over-exaggerated.
The bass quantity barely changed at all for me.
If anything the bass timbre changed slightly.

Ultimately I prefer to leave the vents open, which I think sounds better.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #729 of 730
I tried the closed-vent mod today, and I think it has been greatly over-exaggerated.
The bass quantity barely changed at all for me.
If anything the bass timbre changed slightly.

Ultimately I prefer to leave the vents open, which I think sounds better.
There's hiden factors on driver.
1st version, 3D print has 2 cloth layers and 2 nylon (or mylar) layers each driver.
2nd version, molding has 4 layers of cloth and 2 layers of nylon (or mylar).
Close air vent on 2nd version will muffle the sound, less detail, response less transience

I feel 1st version is safety enough so I take out 2 cloth layers from each driver.
It sounds much more detail with good bass texture, even air vent closed or open. The bass texture can competes hd800s.
I close 100% air vent now. The bass texture can competes hd800s.
My RR1 got changed slightly:
No exposion 3 wires, lamb skinn head band, shallower pad mounting cavity to fit the pad (I saw it is not best match dimension of pad), reduce cover layers*.
* I want to install only cloth cover but I worry the risk of electric shock when listening in summer w/o nylon cover.
Nylon/mylar layer is to prevent water stream! Not just dust protection (because cloth is enough to prevent micron dust)
20240419_210730.jpg
20240419_210957.jpg

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #730 of 730

Users who are viewing this thread

Back