Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Jun 10, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #106 of 730
And did Spritzer like your hp?
Cannot read anything about his opinion.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #107 of 730
Here's a screenshot of what he had to say -

2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #108 of 730
This looks to be a truly fascinating headphone. I’ll definitely be following news about this! I’m already looking at auctions for a Stax SRM-252S amp on eBay, :sweat_smile:

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #110 of 730
The Earpads are removable and replaceable, they are attached via an adhesive which leaves no residue. A Magnetic swap system wasn't Engineered to keep the production cost in-check and the price at $500.

Incidentally in my experience that is the best sounding way to attach pads to headphones. AFAICT, perfect pad design as well. All looks very good... especially at the price. Amazing.
Thank you for already changing shape of the headphone industry in many ways: quality, cost, transparency, test report delivered with the units, comparative measurements, etc.

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #112 of 730
Incidentally in my experience that is the best sounding way to attach pads to headphones. AFAICT, perfect pad design as well. All looks very good... especially at the price. Amazing.
Thank you for already changing shape of the headphone industry in many ways: quality, cost, transparency, test report delivered with the units, comparative measurements, etc.

Hi,

I really appreciate your kind words.

Yes, I agree. Electrostatic Headphones being extremely sensitive to pressures require little to no compliance for the Earpads. Hence, we spent a lot of time to find the ideal thickness and cavity depth to keep turbulent modes in control so as to not override the diaphragms to the Stators. We also do a single-sided coating for various reasons which is different from Stax and Koss who use a dual-sided EBPVD coating.

So, yes...an adhesive method is the best way to maintain a nice hermetic seal for ideal coupling and best low-frequency extraction but, in the end, the other system can certainly be Engineered with all the previous advantages inevitably at an higher cost.

A recent release comes to mind that employs and tries to overcome the above issues albeit, could be better for the cost they are asking.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #114 of 730
That's great. Do you use a bit of damping in the back? I actually like a bit as it can help with a sense of solidity and make them less ethereal sounding though I'm sure that can vary due to other parameters.I always had a soft spot for the original low voltage Lambda. There also tends to be an optimum V for ESLs. What V were these designed with?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #115 of 730
That's great. Do you use a bit of damping in the back? I actually like a bit as it can help with a sense of solidity and make them less ethereal sounding though I'm sure that can vary due to other parameters.I always had a soft spot for the original low voltage Lambda. There also tends to be an optimum V for ESLs. What V were these designed with?

There is no damping in the Headphones at all and so far I haven't received any requests as well.
I do like my Normal Lambdas as well as my Sigma, the Golden age of STAX, IMO.

RR1's - Pro-Bias 580V. Although, they will take 600-620V as well.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #116 of 730
Don't like making marketing posts but I am flying down to LA soon for CanJam SoCal, we will be exhibiting there.

I will have 4 RR1's and 3 Amps - KGSSHV, SRM252S and Koss E/90 w/ a custom adapter. That way I am trying to cover from extreme low-end to extreme high-end.
Hope to see some people there.

Our booth is F12.

1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #118 of 730
@MrTechAgent, for traveling, Stax D10 is a very nice little amp to take along with. You should consider getting one. :)

Yes Wachara, I have a D10 but it malfunctioned for some reason and I never got the time to go through the Warranty claim. Currently, it's just sitting and we use it to test our connector tolerances. Might be the most expensive connector tester but hey, it does the job.

I do think that the D10 is more suited for earphones than full-size Headphones.

20190615_165100.jpg

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #119 of 730
D10 has a famous hum - there are many defect d10 and stax does not want to repair them - they say, this malfunction is normal and no reason for warranty

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #120 of 730
There are plenty of energizer options in Stax land that have been extensively discussed here and you know where.
Even though transistor amps tend to be technically better, I prefer tubes (even over SiC), from a modded T1 or a Konka amp up to the BHSE or GG.
However, the D50 made good impression, provided it can drive your headphone of choice, in this case the RR1, and of course provided it will last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back