K701 thread
Jun 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,266 of 2,619
Dear all,

Sorry for posting the same question which appeared hundred times, currently I have a integrated DAC AUNE X1, it do have a Amp itself. But for K701 it's obviously insufficient, I use a Macbook pro + Amarra to output optical digital signal to the AUNE X1, it do performance good at piano solo or light music, but for Rock and Electronic all the mid-frequencies seem to be messed up (although the high-frequency part seem to be ok).

Personally I prefer to enjoy the soundtrack of films or games and pop music with my K701, so it really annoying to feel upset when listening to the most passionate part of a BGM only to find  that the sound of mids are all tangly.

I have heard that K701 has a wonderful performance on WA6SE (by Dubstep Girl) and Audiovalve RKV MK2 (It more like a country myth in my motherland), but they are all above 1000 dollars. And although currently I studied in Germany, I have never had a chance to listen K701 with RKV MK2.

I do heard K701 with SAC K1000, but I am not satisfied with this combination cause all the girls's voice part seems to be aging and which is intolerant for me. Other combination, such as with Lehrmann are also not good.

So back to the question again, are there any class A (tube or hybrid) desk amp can make K701's mid performance more clear and separated? And it should also below the price 600 euro?

Really thanks for your sincere help,

ATHED

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,268 of 2,619
Well, actually I do not need the amp to have a DAC function, and I'd like to choose a DAC with a optical input. Thus compare with WA7's 999 dollar, I'd like to find some decent AMP with RCA input and around the price 600 euro (or 700 dollar).

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,269 of 2,619
Quote:

So back to the question again, are there any class A (tube or hybrid) desk amp can make K701's mid performance more clear and separated? And it should also below the price 600 euro?

I use an self made class A amp with OPA and solid state class A power stage - WNA MKII.

I like the WNA more than my GSP Audio Solo.

Look at this old thread here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit/750

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,270 of 2,619
Thanks,but DIY is a little bit hard for me, plus I don't  think I can get all these stuff easy in Germany

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,273 of 2,619
Hi all! I ordered a new pair og AKG K701 and they will arrive soon, the problem is that I don't have any AMP/DAC for them. I need help to buy an amp within my budget (which is aprox. 250$ for the amp only and can raise to 350$ for the amp only if really needed). I mainly listen to classical music (and mainly instrumental only) and I've never owned a Hi-Fi/Head-Fi setup. I found (by reading almost any old post about the topic) that the Little Dot MKIII or the Matrix M-Stage could be  good companions for my HP but I'm open to any suggestion (since most of the advices were given years ago).
Sorry for posting about somenthing that has alredy been discussed but I'm afraid I could waste my money since I'm a newbie.
Thanks in advance

EDIT: my source is liquid music, FLAC codec.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,274 of 2,619
Quote:
Hi all! I ordered a new pair og AKG K701 and they will arrive soon, the problem is that I don't have any AMP/DAC for them. I need help to buy an amp within my budget (which is aprox. 250$ for the amp only and can raise to 350$ for the amp only if really needed). I mainly listen to classical music (and mainly instrumental only) and I've never owned a Hi-Fi/Head-Fi setup. I found (by reading almost any old post about the topic) that the Little Dot MKIII or the Matrix M-Stage could be  good companions for my HP but I'm open to any suggestion (since most of the advices were given years ago).
Sorry for posting about somenthing that has alredy been discussed but I'm afraid I could waste my money since I'm a newbie.
Thanks in advance

EDIT: my source is liquid music, FLAC codec.

The Schiit Magni/Modi combo pairs well with it. So does the FiiO E07K/E09K combo. These can both be had for around $200.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,276 of 2,619
Quote:
While I'm not sure of availability in Germany I'm using a Headroom Micro Amp for my 701s and it's working well enough for me. 

You should try to get the Astrodyne for it. It's totally worth it (IMO).  I wish I had done it sooner. It's a really under-appreciated amp.
The Headroom Micro is perfect for every AKG i've tried. I'm using mine with an E17 and Modi.

BTW does anyone know really for sure if the early K701's came with flat pads? I had one back in 2006 and swear it came with flat pads but maybe not.

It must have been the version with the extra bumps because none of the latest versions bother me even remotely.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,277 of 2,619
I got mine used without any pads and spent a long time googling to figure out exactly how I was supposed to orient the curved pads once I bought them. I never saw a picture of them anywhere with flat pads. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,278 of 2,619
Quote:
You should try to get the Astrodyne for it. It's totally worth it (IMO).  I wish I had done it sooner. It's a really under-appreciated amp.
The Headroom Micro is perfect for every AKG i've tried. I'm using mine with an E17 and Modi.

BTW does anyone know really for sure if the early K701's came with flat pads? I had one back in 2006 and swear it came with flat pads but maybe not.

It must have been the version with the extra bumps because none of the latest versions bother me even remotely.

My first K702 came with flat pads or almost flat , my second K702 pads were clearly angled one side was much higher than the other .

(peraphs K70X were always using angled pads , but since Q701 the angle is much more prononced  IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back