K701 thread
Mar 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,192 of 2,619
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,193 of 2,619
Gotta say I'm really enjoying my new K701's. Probably reaching the hundred hour mark on these now and the treble has smoothed out nicely. I was, for a short while using an equalizer to calm it down at 10khz  but now no need. They have such a well balanced sound from top to bottom, with a nice bit of warmth. My LCD2's aren't getting much head time at all
eek.gif
 I love the LCD2's for Jazz but the K701's seem to be able to do all music well. My old K702's used to be really picky with recordings I remember. Older classical used to be very harsh. The added warmth and body to the K701's makes even bad recordings sound, well not too bad anymore.  Happy days:)

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,194 of 2,619
Quote:
Gotta say I'm really enjoying my new K701's. Probably reaching the hundred hour mark on these now and the treble has smoothed out nicely. I was, for a short while using an equalizer to calm it down at 10khz  but now no need. They have such a well balanced sound from top to bottom, with a nice bit of warmth. My LCD2's aren't getting much head time at all
eek.gif
 I love the LCD2's for Jazz but the K701's seem to be able to do all music well. My old K702's used to be really picky with recordings I remember. Older classical used to be very harsh. The added warmth and body to the K701's makes even bad recordings sound, well not too bad anymore.  Happy days:)

Lug, your comments on K701 exactly relate to my impressions of the DT880, even to originally using an equaliser (tone controls in my case) to calm the treble down--but not now--and once having a K702 which I found harsh. I even had an LCD-2. Wow, we must be long-lost twins.
tongue.gif

I find the DT880 well balanced too. But what impresses me about it most is its basic honesty and lack of colouration. You make me curious about the K701, but memories of the 702 leave me confused. Has AKG made major revisions to this phone? If you had the Annniversary edition or Q701 I could understand it but...what gives?

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,195 of 2,619
Quote:
eek.gif

Nice impressions! That is exactly how I felt about the K 701.
Out of the box treble: :'(
200+ hours pink noise break-in treble (I didn't put them on my head during this time, so the fit of the earpads wouldn't be a factor): :)

My video review of the K 701. I kind of left some stuff out/forgot to mention some things.......this is why I like written reviews, I can edit things in any time I want. I'll probably write the K 701 Head-Fi review soon when I get the chance.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2,199 of 2,619
Quote:
So, the 701 guys say the 702s sound harsh now, what in the wide world is going on?

Out of the box, the K 701's treble was hard to listen to for me; lots of sibilance, really bright, cymbals and snare drum hits sounded quite harsh, and just sounded plain bad to be frank. I was on the verge of returning them because I couldn't stand them and was really hoping I could like them. I gave them 200+ hours of pink noise without having them on my head and the treble really calmed down, being much more listenable now.

The Q 701, similar to the newer K 701's has more warmth in the midrange compared to the K 702 and the older K 701, and has a little more treble energy from what I can remember.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2,200 of 2,619
Quote:
200+ hours pink noise break-in treble (I didn't put them on my head during this time, so the fit of the earpads wouldn't be a factor): :)

My video review of the K 701. I kind of left some stuff out/forgot to mention some things.......this is why I like written reviews, I can edit things in any time I want. I'll probably write the K 701 Head-Fi review soon when I get the chance.

Nice video man, but boy oh boy are you wrong by saying that its a misconception that K701's need a lot of power.  They do. What you show in your video is not loud. I'll make a video of what is loud with K701 when I go home and get my camera. I can hear them in the next room with both doors closed when powered by a proper amp. 
People don't realize how loud these headphones can go without distortion.
But just getting high enough volume with them is not the point. Literally, they sound like crap when plugged into an Iphone compared to how they sound even plugged into the Asus Xonar ST. The dynamics, clarity, punch, soundstage, detail...all goes up in quality drastically, they're not even the same headphones, its a night and day difference literally, without even a little bit of exaggeration.  You're really missing out if you're not powering them properly, and Iphone or O2 definitely can't do it in my opinion and experience.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,201 of 2,619
Nice video man, but boy oh boy are you wrong by saying that its a misconception that K701's need a lot of power.  They do. What you show in your video is not loud. I'll make a video of what is loud with K701 when I go home and get my camera. I can hear them in the next room with both doors closed when powered by a proper amp. 
But just getting high enough volume with them is not the point. Literally, they sound like crap when plugged into an Iphone compared to how they sound even plugged into the Asus Xonar ST. The dynamics, clarity, punch, soundstage, detail...all goes up in quality drastically, they're not even the same headphones, its a night and day difference literally, without even a little bit of exaggeration.  You're really missing out if you're not powering them properly, and Iphone or O2 definitely can't do it in my opinion and experience.

I own the 702s and yes, they definitely need amping to run properly and sound decent in my opinion.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,202 of 2,619
Quote:
Quote:

They sound OK out of an iPhone, of course it's not optimal though as it's an amplifier built for a portable device and was probably never really meant to "sound good" with most headphones. The DAC is decent though.
I've tried the K 701's on a public bus before, just as a random test, and they do get loud enough for me to listen to my music comfortably from the iPhone.

They certainly sound much better with an O2. Might I ask what amp you suggest for the K 701's then? I've tried a Lyr/Bifrost combo and thought the K 701's sounded much better out of an O2. If I'm not mistaken, the designer of the O2 specifically addressed the needs for the K 701 and other headphones that are typically "hard to drive" in the design of the O2.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2,203 of 2,619
Quote:

Lug, your comments on K701 exactly relate to my impressions of the DT880, even to originally using an equaliser (tone controls in my case) to calm the treble down--but not now--and once having a K702 which I found harsh. I even had an LCD-2. Wow, we must be long-lost twins.
tongue.gif

I find the DT880 well balanced too. But what impresses me about it most is its basic honesty and lack of colouration. You make me curious about the K701, but memories of the 702 leave me confused. Has AKG made major revisions to this phone? If you had the Annniversary edition or Q701 I could understand it but...what gives?

Must be long lost twins my friend
beerchug.gif

I'd definatley say that my "newer" K701's are very different to my old K702's, obviously not day and night but from all of the descriptions I've read of the Q701's they seem to be the same. I don't like too much treble but I do like a good soundstage for classical. The soundstage is slightly narrower than the 702's as well as being more balanced (rather than a bit wonky on certain recordings). A/bing my LCD2's with some Anne Sophie Von Otter hitting the high notes, and there is not a lot of difference in regards to the brightness level. Sure the Audeze are smoother, but what I mean is that the K701's aren't anymore fatiguing. And this is a surprise :O This after the 100 hr mark. As I've said I did need to equalize them to begin with.
I really like the DT880's with classical, but where I prefer the K701's is in the larger soundstage and attack. The Beyers can sound a little too soft with strings sometimes. But its all personal preference ofcourse.
Quote:

Good stuff :)

I think we are due a more up to date written review on head-fi. I think peeps are still under the impression that the K701's are instruments of torture :/

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,204 of 2,619
Quote:

Agreed. I tried K702 with notebook headphone jacks, a couple portable headphone amp, and they didn't do these phones justice. Asus Xonar ST do drive the K702 very well (I happened to have 1 previously), and my impression was exactly what you have described. Then I had those pleasant surprises again when I upgraded DIY cable, and upgraded to my current amp.

These phones have lots of potential and scale well with your gears.

I'm probably a treble happy person - I didnt noticed the harshness you mentioned (maybe I dont listen loud), the most improvement I heard for 0-200 was the bass.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,205 of 2,619
Quote:
They sound OK out of an iPhone, of course it's not optimal though as it's an amplifier built for a portable device and was probably never really meant to "sound good" with most headphones. The DAC is decent though.
I've tried the K 701's on a public bus before, just as a random test, and they do get loud enough for me to listen to my music comfortably from the iPhone.

They certainly sound much better with an O2. Might I ask what amp you suggest for the K 701's then? I've tried a Lyr/Bifrost combo and thought the K 701's sounded much better out of an O2. If I'm not mistaken, the designer of the O2 specifically addressed the needs for the K 701 and other headphones that are typically "hard to drive" in the design of the O2.

I'm using either the output on my Asus Xonar ST soundcard (which sounds extremely good, 95% of SQ of any amp I've ever tried with K701, including the Musical Fidelity M1 which is like $1k).  But recently I bought the Musical Fidelity V-CAN MkII. And even though it doesn't get quite as loud as with the K701, it gets more than loud enough for anyone with a hint of sanity, it sounds very very good. It adds nice warmth to the sound, especially makes the mids and bass sound "fuller" and highs even though not as aggressive seem like they present micro-details a bit more effortlessly.

So, for 250$ that I paid for the V-CAN, I can say it works very well with K701.  It's really a bit improvement over any non-amped or not well amped source. Of course, amp is not the only part of the chain that matter. And even bigger role is played by Asus ST as an excellent DAC. Also a huge improvement over Iphone. Even though I never use the Iphone for portable listening (got the Galaxy S for that, which I find better sounding),  I can run the Iphone straight into the V-CAN and play same FLAC files I play on the PC, and difference is very obvious, it's a huge improvement.

While we're talking about amps....funny thing about the Musical Fidelity V-CAN. Its got two outputs on the front, so I can connect two headphones at the same time. The hardest to run I currently have at home, the K701 and DT990pro, both connected at the same time, at the same position of the volume knob, sound exactly the same, and exactly as loud regardless of whether they're connected on their own, or both are connected to the amp at the same time. Which is quite weird. I can actually set the volume on the K701 as loud as it gets without distorting, and then plug in the DT990 while listening to the K701, and I hear no change in the sound. Its as if it has "double" the power, so that each output can work without compromise. Which begs me to ask a question, why the hell doesn't it have more power when only one headphone is connected?

Btw, what kind of source are you using at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back