K701 thread
Dec 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,086 of 2,619
I guess so :)

I do not have experience with other hp that shares k601 sig but FWIR you could try your luck with senn hd600. 
Quote:
The K601 is warm?
basshead.gif
and the K701 is even less so...

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #2,087 of 2,619
wink_face.gif
I have tried the Senn HD600, decided to buy the HD650 instead. the rich mids and musicality was what drew me there. I was looking for something to complement the senns for more clarity/analytical. Something like the amazing upper mids/treble of the shure 535.

Thanks for you time though, appreciate it

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,089 of 2,619
About to pull the trigger on one of these combos for the K701s (my laptop as a source)
1) Matrix M-Stage w/ USB DAC
2 Schiit Valhalla + Schiit Modi (my wallet can't stand the blow from the Bifrost)

so...which one should i get?

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,090 of 2,619
Honor to the most neutral headphone on the planet.
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,091 of 2,619
Quote:
About to pull the trigger on one of these combos for the K701s (my laptop as a source)
1) Matrix M-Stage w/ USB DAC
2 Schiit Valhalla + Schiit Modi (my wallet can't stand the blow from the Bifrost)

so...which one should i get?

I drive my K701 with Matrix M-Stage and the combination works very good indeed.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,092 of 2,619
Quote:
That's great to hear. I purchased an O2 and ODAC, and my K 701 is coming through the mail soon.

That being said, has anyone here tried the K 701 with a Bottlehead Crack OTL amp?
I'm interested in a tube amp for the novelty of it. Either a Bottlehead or Schiit tube amp are in my thoughts on a tube amp.

Does the K 701 pair well with tube amps? It was to my understanding that tube amps have a high output impedance and the K 701 is rated at ~62 ohms. Technically, shouldn't a solid state amp be more suitable?

OTL tube amps tend to have too high an output impedance (in general - there are exceptions). My K702 (before I sold it) started to sound a bit muddier in the lower range with the Crack. Not what I wanted from them. I imagine that other tube amps designed with a low impedance (taking advantage of the electrical damping factor) like the Mad Ear+HD and Zana Deux will be just fine, adding some nice tubey warmth to the K70X without bloating. But those are a very different price class, and even basic output coupled tube amps tend to get into spendier territory (the Bottlehead SEX or Crack would be good to try). 

You might have good luck with hybrid designs though - they were fine through my Hifiman EF2a (if a bit too much gain), and I expect would be good in Millet's hybrids as well (MilletMax, etc) and keep the prices down. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,094 of 2,619
Quote:
I actually heard that the K701s sound pretty well with higher impedance amplifiers. Cannot backup that with personal experience though.

I've tried the K 702 and Q 701 with a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo and it didn't sound nearly as good as my ODAC/O2 combo. It's weird because I recall reading the same things, how the K 701 sounds pretty good with warm-sounding tube amps....definitely not the case in my experience unless you think "fuzzy, not well-defined" sound is "good".

My K 701's were delivered to me on Monday. Really enjoying them at the moment with acoustic music.
I've been meaning to ask: what exactly does an amplifier do for these headphones? They sound pretty acceptable to me, and get pretty darn loud straight out of an iPhone 4S. I was under the impression that they would sound like complete Schiit without amping, but it doesn't sound that bad at all.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,095 of 2,619
I've been an owner for about a year now and these (K702s here) never cease to impress me. I'm loving them with my Little Dot I+. I feel that the tubes help in curing some of the coldness and bringing some warmth and character to their sound. Since its a hybrid the tube warmth doesn't come at the expense of bass either and with the massive soundstage I'm constantly in audio bliss and keep coming back to them even though i have other comparable sets of headphones.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,096 of 2,619
I drive my k701s with a Matrix M-Stage and the combination works really fine. When I got my headphones I used to drive them with Musical Fidelity Xcan. The sound was to bright so I searched for another amp and auditioned a Matrix. I never regretted. I also have a Pro-ject Headbox 2 for my k701. It is fine but the problem is that the mids become a little muddy. Otherwise it is ok.

I also use the Matrix amp to drive my Sennheiser HD650 and it works fine as well.

Cheers
Sz

Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,098 of 2,619
Quote:
Just picked up the bright lime green q701's ($100 cheaper than anything else I saw! net price in the low $100's). Can't wait to hear em!

Oh man What, where do you get so low prices? Cant get them for less than 500$ in my country or anywhere in Europe.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2,099 of 2,619

Oh man What, where do you get so low prices? Cant get them for less than 500$ in my country or anywhere in Europe.

In Europe you can find K701 for less than 300$ and Q701 for less than 400$ . (well Q701 still expensive in europe relatively to us price but there is the vat thing)

http://www.thomann.de/de/akg_k701.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/akg_q_701_black.htm

(german price but can be a little less or more depending on country VAT)

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2,100 of 2,619
Is this the official AKG thread? If so, just wanted to say I got K99s today and I really like them. If these are the low end, I'm thinking the k701s must be amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back