K701 thread
Aug 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,742 of 2,619
Why do people like the k701 so much? It seems super popular and I wonder why? They are solid white in color. Is this an important factor? Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just wondering. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #1,743 of 2,619
I made it myself!  I used a head rig to see what the sound was like once it reached the inner ear and then studied the results and created an inversion in glisseq to flatten the sound out.

It's not done yet, but if you have GlissEQ, here, try it out!
http://www.pelpix.info/GlissEQ_k702rev4.zip

Just load it into the presets manager.  You can use it in your favorite media player using a VST wrapper.

Orchestral:
Source:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/symphonie4source

Corrected:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/symphonie4psych

Jonathan Coulton:
Source:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/shopvacsource

Corrected:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/shopvacpsych

Notice how natural the cymbal in the background is now.

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,744 of 2,619

Quote:
Why do people like the k701 so much? It seems super popular and I wonder why? They are solid white in color. Is this an important factor? Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just wondering. 

Because they like how the Q/K 70X sound ? , HD650 appreciation thread is much longer , you could make the same sentence why HD650 seams super popular ? , DT 880 600 ohms appreciation is also quite big ...

I am verry Happy with my K702 . i am not a Basshead at all .  
DT 880 => didn't like the recessed mids , HD650 dark and a bit slow, not for my taste . 

some peoples will hate the K701 , other will love it 

Etc etc 

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #1,745 of 2,619
Quote:

Quoted from Headphone.com:
"European leaders in recording studio audio delivers the AKG K701, a top-of-the-line full-size headphone with astonishing clarity, 'up-front' detail resolution and full competence across the musical spectrum. The K701 are nowhere near their acoustic potential out of the box; patience and a long 'break-in' period gets rewarded with pristine accuracy and an expansive, spacious soundstage image that competes with +$1,000 cans. Highly recommended, truly world-class audiophile sound at a WAY lower price than many headphones of this caliber."

biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #1,747 of 2,619

Quote:

You don't need a reason to like something. Do people ask you why you like your girlfriend or your wife? Do you actually give them an answer?

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #1,748 of 2,619
The DAC1 is excellent with the K701. It gives the K701 a very 3D sound. The built-in amp is passable with the K701 but the main benefit is the 3D soundstaging. You will want a different amp in between the DAC1 and the K701, so hang on to the Can Amp.

Quote:
Dear K701/2 owners,
I'm looking to move up to a quality source. My eye is currently on Benchmark's DAC-1.
Within my budget, i'd be able to afford it if I sold my Heed Canamp (Source is currently a Xonar DX).

How would you say the DAC1's amp would pair with the K701s? If it is a little too much given the 701's nature, what would you suggest?
I'll be trawling through reviews and specs tomorrow, but i'm hoping to awake to some informative responses.

Cheers lads.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #1,749 of 2,619

Quote:
If you're talking about my opinion about Benchmark DAC1: I don't know anything about the schematic of this dac/amp but I compare it to many other dacs and headphone amps that I've listened to. Maybe it's a perfect device but definitely sounds thinner and has less lows than most of the other combinations I heard. I wouldn't describe it as a neutral heaphone amp. Maybe it's my personal taste but I can see here many other people share this impressions. Every engineer knows that good specifications are not enough for good music reproduction. Sad but true.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. The Amp module may be well-specified, but it wasn't a very exciting-sounding amp. The DAC was excellent. But I'd pair it with a different amp. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,750 of 2,619
Thank you. That is helpful information. It makes me curious to try them out.

Quote:
Quote:

Quoted from Headphone.com:
"European leaders in recording studio audio delivers the AKG K701, a top-of-the-line full-size headphone with astonishing clarity, 'up-front' detail resolution and full competence across the musical spectrum. The K701 are nowhere near their acoustic potential out of the box; patience and a long 'break-in' period gets rewarded with pristine accuracy and an expansive, spacious soundstage image that competes with +$1,000 cans. Highly recommended, truly world-class audiophile sound at a WAY lower price than many headphones of this caliber."

biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,752 of 2,619
I know you said 701, but 702 are the same headphone with a detachable cable. The main  reason for me is, besides getting a good deal on them, I wanted a headphone with a remove able cable so  i could fix them if something went wrong. I didn't get the DT 880 i saw because of that. I not handy with a tools and I wouldn't be so happy if the cable snap and i have to send them in or have headphones I cant use any more.  They could been lime green with neon lights, the color of them wasn't the factor for me. It was their sound signature as well. 

I do listen to electronic music but I prefer the sound signature of them over the HFI-780s i had as I don't like hard hitting bass as that's get old with me fast and since I was gonna used them for every thing they made good all rounders.If DT880s had a detachable cable, I would have got those instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back