K701 thread
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,681 of 2,619
Mochan, You can experiment with some round foam, or felt. over the ear pad...and if it's sounds good, you can put the foam between the pad fabric net and the driver. This way you don't need to even open the ring of the cup. BTW, the foam you'll need is the foam of the HD-650, maybe just more round one.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,682 of 2,619
I've played with the foam under the pads, but could never find a satisfactory way to really tame the treble, which is the only real weakness of the K701 to my ears. That said, it's not even that much of a weakness, I don't find it harsh to the point of hurting my ears, and the added brightness is welcome in my listening rotation as most of my other headphones are supremely dark and bassy. The K701 is like a gleaming ray of sunlight in my headphone lineup.

Incidnetally, I got the left cup open on my K701, but couldn't get the right open for the life of me, and I managed was to damage the grill a bit, much to my chagrin.   I experimented with blu tak to dampen the left cup but I still couldn't really tame the treble, so I gave up on the right cup.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,683 of 2,619

Quote:
I've played with the foam under the pads, but could never find a satisfactory way to really tame the treble, which is the only real weakness of the K701 to my ears. That said, it's not even that much of a weakness, I don't find it harsh to the point of hurting my ears, and the added brightness is welcome in my listening rotation as most of my other headphones are supremely dark and bassy. The K701 is like a gleaming ray of sunlight in my headphone lineup.

Have you tried the 702's ?

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,684 of 2,619
Blu-tack isn't as effective as Dynamat Xtreme.  No way to get a small amount of the stuff cheaply, unfortunately.

By the way, Mochan, have you tried K701 straight out of your J3?  Also, have you tried rolling opamps in your E9?

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,685 of 2,619

Well obviously I mean that prefer the AD2K to the HE-6. Pretty simple. And I meant that others here on head-fi (a minority I'm sure) prefer the AD2K to some stax that they've heard. Although some people feel that they are the closest stax-sounding dynamic can-airy, detailed etc.

-Daniel
Quote:
Quote:

Having spent a decent amount of time getting acquainted w/ both, I still don't follow.

What Stax are you talking about, by the way. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,686 of 2,619
Quote:
Well obviously I mean that prefer the AD2K to the HE-6. Pretty simple. And I meant that others here on head-fi (a minority I'm sure) prefer the AD2K to some stax that they've heard. Although some people feel that they are the closest stax-sounding dynamic can-airy, detailed etc.

-Daniel

I got the obvious part, I just didn't quite follow how you ended up there.  But I can kind of make it out at this point.  

Enjoy 'em.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,687 of 2,619
Well I'm usually hesitant to describe much on the HE-6 because I only owned them a week before selling them. Other than the excellent bass and highs, I didn't think they were worth the price of admission compared to the K702s I had at the time. I was driving them from the speak taps of a new HK stereo amp, being fed from an Audio gd Reference 9 at the time. So it's not like my equipment wasn't up to snuff either. Upon selling them back, I then received the AD2Ks which I immediately fell in love with. I honestly felt that the ATs were worth $1000 more than the HE-6. I'm sure it's just a matter of personal tastes though, as I felt there was nothing 'wrong' with the Hifiman, they just weren't for me. I'd like to try the LCD-2s sometime though. If I'm not overly impressed with those, I suppose planars just aren't my cup of tea. Different strokes!

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,688 of 2,619

Quote:

Incidnetally, I got the left cup open on my K701, but couldn't get the right open for the life of me, and I managed was to damage the grill a bit, much to my chagrin.   I experimented with blu tak to dampen the left cup but I still couldn't really tame the treble, so I gave up on the right cup.

i gave my K702s loads of heavy (as in LOUD) burn-in time which helped tame the tizz up top alot. then its the "best" amp for it which just so happens to be a vintage Sansui AU517 (tone controls at -1 treble/+1 bass). with all that, bass is quick & adequate with good texture, mids sweet & smooth (with just a hint of grain) & highs were open & extended with slight harshness depending on track & listening vol. theres also a upper bump on mid-high mids with does make some vocals (primarily female) shrill at time but only with specific tracks though - all this with the stock cable.

just got in a 99.9% silver (or so they claim) cable this morning which i left cookin til i picked it up bout an hour ago. i gotta say bass seems meatier & fuller with a bigger midbass bang, the hint of graininess are totally gone leaving behind mids that are very clear smooth & engaging while the last remaining tizz/harshness are MIA from the treble/highs.

im now totally satisfied with my K702 setup which sounds darn awesome with most genres. yes even with rock/metal & pop but ofcos, i do find my K702 excel the most at acoustic jazz. suffice to say im now a total convert to cable upgrades! 'nuff said
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #1,689 of 2,619
Hey guys.  I exported it to Voxego GlissEQ (Only EQ that can do it right, due to its dynamic feature) settings and managed to get it running as a DSP in foobar, so it applies to all my songs now.  Sounds great!  Will release the FXP for those of you with GlissEQ as soon as it's done being tweaked.

any progress on this GlissEQ preset? I'm awaiting it with great anticipation :D

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #1,690 of 2,619

Quote:
Well I'm usually hesitant to describe much on the HE-6 because I only owned them a week before selling them. Other than the excellent bass and highs, I didn't think they were worth the price of admission compared to the K702s I had at the time. I was driving them from the speak taps of a new HK stereo amp, being fed from an Audio gd Reference 9 at the time. So it's not like my equipment wasn't up to snuff either. Upon selling them back, I then received the AD2Ks which I immediately fell in love with. I honestly felt that the ATs were worth $1000 more than the HE-6. I'm sure it's just a matter of personal tastes though, as I felt there was nothing 'wrong' with the Hifiman, they just weren't for me. I'd like to try the LCD-2s sometime though. If I'm not overly impressed with those, I suppose planars just aren't my cup of tea. Different strokes!

-Daniel

I've never been impressed by anything by HiFiman. I honestly don't understand the praise for him around here.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,692 of 2,619

Quote:
Which opp amps are working well with the E9??

It uses 3x OPA2134, so duals will do, but in the case of OPA627, which will warm up the E9 a bit more, you will need three pairs of the opamp and socketed adapters for them.  I think the E9 uses a 24V (+\-12V) wallwart, no?  Many very good opamps will work, including the ADA4627-1B, AD797, OPA827, OPA2209, and a bunch of others.  Furthermore, opamps like SMD circuits, and the E9 is just that.  =]
I'm surprised I haven't seen more impressions of people rolling opamps in the E9.  Fiio socketed the oapmps so you can change them out for whatever you want that will work in the amplifier, you know.  Then the crummy power supply can be upgraded to a dual TREAD or Sigma22 to maximize sound even more.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #1,693 of 2,619

Quote:
any progress on this GlissEQ preset? I'm awaiting it with great anticipation
biggrin.gif

I've been working on it with NotJeffBuckley. It's seeing quite a lot of progress. We've managed to get it down to essentially zero audible coloration, and the bass response is pretty fantastic. I'd say it's just about done! 

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,694 of 2,619
I've been working on it with NotJeffBuckley. It's seeing quite a lot of progress. We've managed to get it down to essentially zero audible coloration, and the bass response is pretty fantastic. I'd say it's just about done! 

Sounds great! Im getting really curious now :D

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,695 of 2,619

Quote:
just got in a 99.9% silver (or so they claim) cable this morning which i left cookin til i picked it up bout an hour ago. i gotta say bass seems meatier & fuller with a bigger midbass bang, the hint of graininess are totally gone leaving behind mids that are very clear smooth & engaging while the last remaining tizz/harshness are MIA from the treble/highs.

What cable did you get? Hwere did you bought it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back