K701 thread
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,441 of 2,619
Alright, I've had the K701s (7-bump arrggh gonna try the sock) for a while, but I still haven't found a desktop amp. Could anybody help me? I didn't want to start a new thread, because we already have enough of these :wink:

I've been running through the iBasso D4 Mamba running DAC/Amp duty, so obviously not enough ooomph there. I'll still use it as my DAC and portable amp, so it'll go Laptop -> USB -> D4 -> mysteryamp -> K701. Criteria as follows:

- Desktop amp
- 200USD / 120GBP budget
- No DIY
- Tube or SS, either way I don't mind, I realise tubes are more 'personal' but require more upkeep

Candidates:
- MP-301 Mk1 if I can find one
- Fiio E9

Thanks a lot in advance!

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #1,442 of 2,619
Just curious, but when people claim they sound "plasticky," would I notice it if I had $150 range bass headphones? These things cost about twice the price and require and amp, which my headphones do not even need, so my question is would these headphones still be extremely awesome, accurate, and relatively natural sounding for inexperienced ears? I can't afford a new amp, but downstairs I have a 90's Denon DRA 425R Stereo reciever FM/AM with a built in amp. I don't bother lugging it to my computer desk, but I notice that CD quality and the built-in amplifier does make a difference on my Shure 750's. I'd rather not low ball it on a cheap portable amp, because I know it wouldn't help drive these headphones... I'm especially taking a liking to the lime green ones. :D

Oh, also, I was looking at a Grado SR225i, and does anyone know the difference? They WOULD be more convenient, and I guess I could sacrifice what I hear to be a huge soundstage on these headphones for the Grado. Which one would sound better... and is there a different between the 701 and the 501 in sound quality...

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,444 of 2,619

Quote:
Just curious, but when people claim they sound "plasticky," would I notice it if I had $150 range bass headphones? These things cost about twice the price and require and amp, which my headphones do not even need, so my question is would these headphones still be extremely awesome, accurate, and relatively natural sounding for inexperienced ears? I can't afford a new amp, but downstairs I have a 90's Denon DRA 425R Stereo reciever FM/AM with a built in amp. I don't bother lugging it to my computer desk, but I notice that CD quality and the built-in amplifier does make a difference on my Shure 750's. I'd rather not low ball it on a cheap portable amp, because I know it wouldn't help drive these headphones... I'm especially taking a liking to the lime green ones. :D

Oh, also, I was looking at a Grado SR225i, and does anyone know the difference? They WOULD be more convenient, and I guess I could sacrifice what I hear to be a huge soundstage on these headphones for the Grado. Which one would sound better... and is there a different between the 701 and the 501 in sound quality...

The flat-mids are easy to notice for any discerning listener.  I wouldn't buy the 701s if I wasn't going to pair them with tubes to solve the midrange issue.  From all reports, the 501s don't have that same mid-range problem, I haven't heard one yet, but I will in about 2 weeks.

Quote:
I use a Zune HD, going into an E9, into a K702.  No issues, more than enough power to drive the 702's FWIW.

Yes, budget SS amps, IME, will drive them without distortion if that's what you're after.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #1,445 of 2,619
Having owned these phones for a few months now, and having tried them with a variety of amps, I have to say I feel a little tricked.  The K701s themselves are cheap but very expensive to drive.  I picked up the K701s used for $220.  I paired them first with my budget SS amp, the Audio-GD FUN and that's when I noticed the midrange flaw.  Took them to a meet, plugged 'em into everything there and realized the mid-range problem goes away with tubes.  Tubes are generally more expensive than SS gear so that upped the cost.  To get a decent tube with good dynamics and detail (something that basically wouldn't make me miss my FUN too much) I had to start at the $620 Woo 6.  Add in the temptation of the WA6-SEs massive soundstage (and when I say massive, that's an understatement) and the total cost of amping these unassuming headphones is now $1K approximately.  The cost difference is too little, and the performance gap too great to choose a maxxed WA6 over a used, stock WA6-SE.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,446 of 2,619

Quote:
Having owned these phones for a few months now, and having tried them with a variety of amps, I have to say I feel a little tricked.  The K701s themselves are cheap but very expensive to drive.  I picked up the K701s used for $220.  I paired them first with my budget SS amp, the Audio-GD FUN and that's when I noticed the midrange flaw.  Took them to a meet, plugged 'em into everything there and realized the mid-range problem goes away with tubes.  Tubes are generally more expensive than SS gear so that upped the cost.  To get a decent tube with good dynamics and detail (something that basically wouldn't make me miss my FUN too much) I had to start at the $620 Woo 6.  Add in the temptation of the WA6-SEs massive soundstage (and when I say massive, that's an understatement) and the total cost of amping these unassuming headphones is now $1K approximately.  The cost difference is too little, and the performance gap too great to choose a maxxed WA6 over a used, stock WA6-SE.

interesting observations.  the midrange can sound hard without sympathetic ancillaries.  also, the stock cable is enameled stranded copper which, to my ears, can add some to this hardness to the sound, and not just in the application of wiring the K70x.  stranded SPC or copper will soften the sound slightly.  i wouldn't recommend a recable as a band-aid as the effect is subtle, but instead focus on source and amp.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,447 of 2,619
@sphinxvc
The K701 is a funny headphone indeed with quite a few extremes when it comes to opinions. Each to his own of course so keep it civil :p

To me these headphones are picky at amps and hard to drive. Most likely you might have spend so much at amps and still haven't reached that destination yet. For the same money you spend on amps you could have bought a much better headphone which is hopefully much more efficient and flexible with different sources and amps.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,448 of 2,619
So can anyone compare these to some of the Grado Prestige Series line-up? I am in love with the lime green AKGs... but I may have to let it go since there is no way I could afford an amp over $100. And if they're so hard to drive and sound plasticy, why buy them in the first place? Whats good about them?

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #1,449 of 2,619
The D12 is indeed better than the D4  -- much smoother sound like the D10, D4 tends to have a crispy sound -- but it's not something that can drive the K701 properly.

"Better Sound Quality" will result from having more power, what happens is cans that are hard to drive will not clip or distort as much, resulting in a tighter quality sound.

Quote:
I noticed that I only need 40% volume bar from my ipod and 60% bar from my PC to get the comfortable sound volume for my K702 without amps, more than that, I will hurt my ears I think.

If im not mistaken, power is related to sound volume right ?  that’s mean I only need to look for amps with better sound quality to make my K702 sounds better more than looking for amps with bigger power. Am I right ? or maybe I am wrong ? <.<

About my idea to connect ibasso, with fiio, im wondering if D12 will work better for sound quality than D4 or D6 ? since D12 is newer than D4 and D6, its supposed to have better sound quality right ? <.<  please fell free to correct me if im wrong ^_^ v

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,450 of 2,619

Quote:

I never had that plasticky problem, but I started these with a hybrid tube amp (MP5).  That said, I also use them with the E9 and never had a problem with "plasticky" or "flat" mids. They do have thin mids, not sure if that's what people actually mean, but the K701's sound is generally thing all around, it's that quality that really gives these cans that incredible separation and soundstage.

Your Denon amp will probably work, depends on how good the quality of the amp is, I have an old Pioneer which sounds lousy with the K701, but I also have a Marantz that sounds awesome with these (fixes all problems with it that people usually have -- lots of bass, very thick and sweet midrange, extremely smooth highs). Give your Denons a shot they just might work.

As for the Prestige series, they really are a different breed from the K701. Totally different kind of can. The SR225 I find is very, very bright, much brighter than the K701 which is already a bright can. They are also very aggressive and rather raw sounding, compared to the K701 which is totally laidback and smooth. IMO the SR225 is not even in the same league as the K701. The RS1 is more on the same level, has a sense of refinement similar to the K701 but still much different, it's a sweeter sounding Grado compared to the rest of the Prestige series and still has those magical mids, but still completely lacks in soundstage in comparison and it's still an upfront can compared the K701 which is almost always laidback (though some say certain amps make it very upfront as well).

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,451 of 2,619
Quote:
@sphinxvc
The K701 is a funny headphone indeed with quite a few extremes when it comes to opinions. Each to his own of course so keep it civil
tongue.gif

To me these headphones are picky at amps and hard to drive. Most likely you might have spend so much at amps and still haven't reached that destination yet. For the same money you spend on amps you could have bought a much better headphone which is hopefully much more efficient and flexible with different sources and amps.

Hmm..which "much better headphone" is that?  Only sub-$1K headphones I haven't tried are the HE-5LE and AD2000s - of all the others, I still prefer the K701s.  

I'll get to try those in about two weeks though.

Quote:
So can anyone compare these to some of the Grado Prestige Series line-up? I am in love with the lime green AKGs... but I may have to let it go since there is no way I could afford an amp over $100. And if they're so hard to drive and sound plasticy, why buy them in the first place? Whats good about them?

Big headroom, good separation, airiness, speed, and a very nice midrange when it scales up to OTC tubes.  The difference between the K701s (with the right amp) and HD800s is not as great as the price indicates.  

Quote:

I never had that plasticky problem, but I started these with a hybrid tube amp (MP5).  That said, I also use them with the E9 and never had a problem with "plasticky" or "flat" mids. They do have thin mids, not sure if that's what people actually mean, but the K701's sound is generally thing all around, it's that quality that really gives these cans that incredible separation and soundstage.

Your Denon amp will probably work, depends on how good the quality of the amp is, I have an old Pioneer which sounds lousy with the K701, but I also have a Marantz that sounds awesome with these (fixes all problems with it that people usually have -- lots of bass, very thick and sweet midrange, extremely smooth highs). Give your Denons a shot they just might work.

As for the Prestige series, they really are a different breed from the K701. Totally different kind of can. The SR225 I find is very, very bright, much brighter than the K701 which is already a bright can. They are also very aggressive and rather raw sounding, compared to the K701 which is totally laidback and smooth. IMO the SR225 is not even in the same league as the K701. The RS1 is more on the same level, has a sense of refinement similar to the K701 but still much different, it's a sweeter sounding Grado compared to the rest of the Prestige series and still has those magical mids, but still completely lacks in soundstage in comparison and it's still an upfront can compared the K701 which is almost always laidback (though some say certain amps make it very upfront as well).

Yep, that's something that isn't mentioned very often.  Once the midrange fullness is there, the soundstage becomes a bit more intimate, which isn't a bad thing for the K701s.

And yeah, I think thin mids is what everyone means by flat or plasticky.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #1,452 of 2,619

Quote:
The D12 is indeed better than the D4  -- much smoother sound like the D10, D4 tends to have a crispy sound -- but it's not something that can drive the K701 properly.

"Better Sound Quality" will result from having more power, what happens is cans that are hard to drive will not clip or distort as much, resulting in a tighter quality sound.

Hmm, now im tempted to use D12…

Do u thinks it’s a good idea to connect D12 to E9? Will they produce D12’s sound quality with the power of E9 ?

Or it’s a Bad idea to connect an amps to another amp like that ? maybe it will screw the gain of some sort and lead to bad sound quality ?

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,453 of 2,619
Help! Can someone please help me open my K701's safely? I want to swap out the cables with some Blue Dragon cable I have and the plastic casing is a little intimidating. I don't want to damage these babies! If anyone can explain the process I would be very grateful.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #1,454 of 2,619

Quote:
Help! Can someone please help me open my K701's safely? I want to swap out the cables with some Blue Dragon cable I have and the plastic casing is a little intimidating. I don't want to damage these babies! If anyone can explain the process I would be very grateful.

i would try a pair of fine tip tweezers with a single wrap of Scotch tape around each pincher so as not to damage the grill paint.  insert into the grill holes with as much distance as possible between each pincher, and twist.  they're a bitch to get off.  if someone has a better solution, please chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back