K701 thread
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #1,471 of 2,619

Quote:
Could you tell me the sonic differences you heard between the K701 SE and Balanced? Did it help the midrange or some of the spiky treble issues.

Using the Phoenix SE and then balanced, I'd say yes.  It beefs up the bottom end and hones the imaging, layering and separation - the last three which is often noted by a few as a weakness stemming from the K701s cavernous soundstage...yet the soundstage is bigger still balanced.  The overall shift to tonal balance is a little warmer.

I don't think it is worthwhile building a differential or "balanced" setup exclusively for the K701s...but if one has many headphones and wishes to extract the maximum theoretical advantage of each can in the collection...there is no other way.  Yet I would remain quite happy to revert back to single ended...which I must, to enjoy tubes.

But IMO crossfeed and equalization is the only way to go.  I just need to find a good hardware, dedicated unit that is customisable and all computed digitally, otherwise its free on line...yet I'd pay big bucks for one in a shiny case.

That is a recommendation straight from the sound science forum which I avoid like a plague because I believe in power cables changing my sound perceptions.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,472 of 2,619
Quote:
Yes, I think the K701 is a lot like the HD800...it seems to have very specific amping requirements to match my tastes.

IMO, this "plasticky" midrange as I hear it, is an upper mid peak (upper ranges of females vocals and where a lot of transient information takes place) - a strength because of the details but for my ears, also a flaw.  Even when paired to a warm and bassy amplifier, this flaw still occurs, but less aggravating.

The total solution for me was not a "warm" amp, but a "midrangey" amp...in that an amp with a specific peak in the central midrange eradicated the upper mid peak (a peak is only a peak comparatively, if we boost the neighbouring frequency that the peak is peaking from, we no longer have a peak).

Lean tube amps is what the doctor ordered for me.  Incidently, when I hear that Jason Stoddard believed that the inexpensive Schiit Valhalla synergised the best with K701, and then reading that the Valhalla was not warm, but rather lean, I was not at all surprised.

The K701 and the Ming Da amp (not warm but very midrangey and a little dark) did the trick for me.  I also switched it to the solid state Lehmann Black Cubed amp...and the K701 sounded a trace warmer with the Black Cube amp...but that upper mid peak was very noticeable, and the added warmth did not actually help in this case at all.  The Black cube was not a warm amp, but also a little lean overall.

I don't have either amp anymore, but these days, I run the K701 balanced with the Phoenix and Reference 7, outright, the Ming Da was still slightly better (I picked mine up for just over 300 bucks brand new from ebay).  The Ming Da was something special, it didn't matter what source I had it connected to, it was so colored in its own distortions, that any source differences are just about overuled by the tube euphonics.  Source was a non issue with the Ming Da amp, very unique in my travels, I pod worked just fine.  But whatever strong flavour the MD had it just matched the K701.

I use my K701s exclusively at low volume listening, where it gets a majority of my head time, only the LCD2s can claim more overall head time from the K701s.  This time around, it is used exclusively with a free crossfeed plug-in called headfit, which absolutely solves the midrange glare, whilst at the same time warms up the sound - the MD amp couldn't do this, nor can my warm amps.  Imaging and instrument separation becomes very exact with this crossfeed.

One does not need to spend a lot to amplify the K701 correctly and satisfactorily.  My belief system also goes that the midrange glare I heard may well be non present to someone else which happens to have a HRTF that corresponds well with these nice cans (but compared to other cans its always there regardless - or other cans are too surpressed at the upper mids).  The K701 makes some of the best trebles to my ears....comparatively rolled off after about 12 khz.

My HD650s were superseded by the LCD2s, but I have yet to supersede the K701s...the HD800 could have been....but I found it too bright in the treble - the HD800 scarred me from its signature after using it exclusively for many many weeks.  Often I just wanna hear all the details in the music and enjoy music from a different distance.  I still can't see how anyone could only use one headphone.  The HD650 with a bright recording sounds the same to me as the K701 on a warm recording.

It's funny, Skylab in his impressions of the Ming Da calls it one of the most lush tube amps he's heard.  That was actually one of my concerns going for the WA6 over the Ming Da as the 6 is known as a lean amp.  It did end up working out remarkably well though.  

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,474 of 2,619
First post... long time lurker, but I had to share my $5 dollar AKG 701 mod.

It's the best bang for the buck I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Wraps-Harness-Ivory/dp/B000R9Z0I6/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header/189-6488660-2681818

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,475 of 2,619
brilliant tweak...!!
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,476 of 2,619
Anyone heard the K702/K701 out of the Headroom Micro Amp? This is just what I needed. It seems to totally transform the K702. Ok, not really, but the difference was quite large and it seems to make some major improvements over my E9 and Asgard. Previously I'd be always complaining about how at times the K702 would sound a bit distant with the wrong music. Female Vocals were not upfront and not as fun to listen to as on my HD-650. With the Micro amp it feels as if the mids are much more forward, but not too much. The bass has seemed to improve a lot too. After listening to the K702 it confuses me because it sounds so different now.

Not sure about the soundstage yet, but I'll get there. I don't need a super huge soundstage anyway. I felt the E9 improved the mids of the K702 over my Asgard, but the Micro Amp is even better. It even seems like there's more body to some instruments and I the sound isn't as thin as before (which I never minded). The E9 is fairly powerful and the Micro Amp is about half the size and just as powerful, if not more powerful! It's not a portable amp and with the High Gain setting I only need to set the volume at 30-40%. It even drives the K601 quite well.

I've only been listening to this pair of K702's for about 30-40 hours. I still need to burn them in more. They're still quite fatiguing with stuff like Pear Jam and bright music. Kind of fatiguing, but not too badly. I hope the treble gets tamed a bit, but probably not. The Micro amp hasn't made it even MORE treble happy. About the same amount of treble as my E9.

I originally got the new amp for the HD-650, but they're so good for the K702 and I'll probably wait awhile before listening to the HD-650 with them.

So, yes, I'm finally really liking the K702 for nearly all my music. Previously I'd use them mostly for gaming and maybe 20% of the time for music. Mostly classical, ambient, soundtracks and some electronic music. It seems like the K702 is the one headphone I keep going back to. I've now owned a K701 and K702 a total of FOUR times!! I like the signature of the K601 a bit more for my kind of music, but there's some things about the K702 it just can't compare with.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #1,478 of 2,619
Would the LD MKIIIs or the Headroom Micro Amp work better with the K701s?

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,479 of 2,619

Quote:

Do u thinks it’s a good idea to connect D12 to E9? Will they produce D12’s sound quality with the power of E9 ?

Or it’s a Bad idea to connect an amps to another amp like that ? maybe it will screw the gain of some sort and lead to bad sound quality ?

Have anyone tried to connect ibasso's D series with Fiio e9 ? will this kind of idea works for K701 / 2 ?

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,480 of 2,619
Would the LD MKIIIs or the Headroom Micro Amp work better with the K701s?

My vote is for the Headroom Micro amp. Being low impedance headphones (and not orthos), they do not mate well with OTL amps.

May 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,482 of 2,619
So I'm curious. How many of you have been through several amps just for the K702/K702? If so, what was your upgrade path (of amps) and which did you prefer the most in the end? It seems some people say a tube amp is best and others say a solid state amp is the best way to go.

So far it seems like most say the Matrix M-Stage is a good budget amp and others seem to like the E9. I felt that the E9 was a good entry level amp, but didn't make them sing. I've heard the X-Can V8 and Gilmore Lite are also good for it.

I started with the Shiit Asgard which sadly I have to admit isn't a good choice for the K702/K701 or the K601. I bought it for the HD-600 though. The main reason is due to soundstage issues and loss of background detail (only with these headphones, but not the HD-600/650). It also gave me the impression of recessed mids on the K702. Huh?! I then went to the E9 and found myself a believer that the K702 was the perfect gaming headphone. The mids felt much better and much more normal (but not forward, but maybe very very slightly).

I didn't like my E9 with my HD-650 so I wanted to find something better for it. Ended up with that Headroom Microamp and found out it's now made me love the K702. I now use it as my primary gaming and movie headphone. Of course it's better now for music too since the Micro seems to bring the mids forward a tad, add a little warmth and even improve the soundstage and bass. Feels like there's bass on the K702 now I haven't heard before. It seems my Micro Amp is really under-appreciated here. Even most of the Headroom amps are. Even the Airhead is a powerful amp for being so small.

I'm making a new cable for it soon so it should get even better. I like Canare cable so maybe it will even make it sound slightly better, who knows.

So yeah, still liking the K702. It seems a good, slightly more expensive amp fixes the issues most people complain about. HD-650 and K702 seem to be the pickiest headphones I've ever owned. At least now I have an amp that seems to have perfect synergy with both. That doesn't seem all that common.

May 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,483 of 2,619
Quote:
So I'm curious. How many of you have been through several amps just for the K702/K702? If so, what was your upgrade path (of amps) and which did you prefer the most in the end? 

I started with an Audio-GD FUN and went to the WA6 briefly, then sold it.  MIGHT get a WA6-SE for them or give up them up if I like the HE-5LE more.  Time will tell.

May 6, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,485 of 2,619
My first Post as well!
I just saw this after I completed my own comfort mod to my brand new K701's.
I'm actually very new to Head-fi gear :wink:
I got these phones cause they were the right price and I was intrigued about the special qualities some people ascribed to them. 
Anyway, Upon first donning these phones I felt a very certain discomfort originating from the infamous middle bump. I have a large head and well, also I am newly forming a bald spot right in the area this pressure is occurring. Aside from the discomfort, which actually gave me a headache, I was living in fear that this weird leathery bump would increase my bald spot or cave-in the soft part of my melon. I'm always prone to minor paranoias. So I immediately looked around and grabbed the nearest softening thing I could (no, really, it took all of 5 seconds to spot something within arm's reach, and kudos to those who can guess what it is!). 

It was actually very very comfortable when I slipped it between my noggin and the leather band. I then contemplated on how to keep it there, at first thinking about tying it there or something but then I remembered these velcro strips I had handy. I also happened to have a small sewing kit my GF had given me when I mentioned I lost a button on a shirt recently. I've never fixed that button but I did get around to sewing the velcro to that soft cushioning cloth. Here is the result:

by the way...it is a total accident that it forms a nice oval around the AKG logo there in the middle. Not intended but welcomed nonetheless. And yes, my sewing sucks. 

The innerband...I feel no more prominant bump and the weight of the headgear feels more evenly distributed and more cormfotable and snug as well.

The thing I like most about a mod like this is it's not permanent. I can take it off or put it back on again in a moment's notice. Not that I would really need to...mind you...I mean unless I plan to sell them but hey, I just got these! Now...to anyone one that guesses what that comforting cloth actually is, I may give a prize :wink:

Quote:
First post... long time lurker, but I had to share my $5 dollar AKG 701 mod.

It's the best bang for the buck I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Wraps-Harness-Ivory/dp/B000R9Z0I6/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header/189-6488660-2681818

Users who are viewing this thread

Back