K701 thread
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,231 of 2,619

Quote:
Hey SP wild you tried the LCD-2's I think, how much a change are they from the K702?  I was at one point eyeing the HD800 but based on the kind of sound people speak of the LCD2's look like a better match for my personality.

I know both headphones while different are more in the lineage of the K701/2 than they are any other phones.

Two different cans that have entirely different philosophies.  My K701s were always a secondary, supplementary cans to my preferred HD650s.  The HD650s were a little problematic in the top end.  The LCD2s share a similar philosophy to the HD650 without the problem in top end resolution.  With the LCD2s I don't use the K701s anymore.  I felt the K701s were a little too lean for my tastes, if you prefer the K701 over the HD650, I'm more inclined to advise to stay with the K701 or look into HD800 or HE6.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,232 of 2,619
I've been supportive of the K701 since I got them. The price point, sound quality and build are superior. But the orthos (LCD-2/HE-6) are in a different league. As soon as I can gather the resources, the Ks will go to a good home of a budding head fier.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,233 of 2,619

Quote:
I've been supportive of the K701 since I got them. The price point, sound quality and build are superior. But the orthos (LCD-2/HE-6) are in a different league. As soon as I can gather the resources, the Ks will go to a good home of a budding head fier.

Does the LCD2 do everything better on well recorded instrumental classical?

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,234 of 2,619

Quote:
Alright thanks guys. Guess I'll invest in an amp for the 701s then. Any recommendations? My budget is around $150-200. 

Try the Fiio E7+E9 combo. works wonders for $200

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #1,235 of 2,619

Quote:

I've try the HE-5 with the Auditor amp, and I was disappointed (I still prefer the RS-1). My first Orthodynamic experience was in the 80's with the Fostex T-20, beautiful mids and the overall sound is balanced, but not sub/treble, or sound stage to speak of. The overall sound is dark and a little mute, I hope the LCD-2 are different,

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #1,236 of 2,619

Quote:
Quote:

I've try the HE-5 with the Auditor amp, and I was disappointed (I still prefer the RS-1). My first Orthodynamic experience was in the 80's with the Fostex T-20, beautiful mids and the overall sound is balanced, but not sub/treble, or sound stage to speak of. The overall sound is dark and a little mute, I hope the LCD-2 are different,

What was wrong with the HE-5?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,237 of 2,619
IMO, the LCD-2 are better than the K701 in every way for rock and roll, blues, electronica, new age. I cannot comment on orchestra but there is a weird soundstage in the center that seems unfocused. There is also an echo in the acoustic instruments during their decay but not a lot of others have mentioned it so it may be my problem.

The HE-5 sound was pretty nice and comparable to HD800 on my amp.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,238 of 2,619

Quote:
Quote:

Have you heard the LCD-2 yet? There isn't an issue with extension and they are the only headphone that captures a few low notes I've not heard on other headphones and few subs. Now darkness is another matter but once you get acclimated to the sound, they are very clear. I borrowed a pair and had the A gd Ref. 7 in the house at the same time. I could live with that setup.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,239 of 2,619
Yea the LCD2 interest me for that signature.  I never owned or tried the HD650(besides in a horrible shop environment which told me nothing at all) though I rather save up and go LCD2.

I would probably keep my K702's for gaming, the sound stage is the most accurate pin point positioning I have ever heard with headphone mode processing.  Its a very tiny cone.  Though not as good for singleplayer games

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,240 of 2,619

Quote:
Quote:

I have a pair of T20V2 and they do have fantastic mids.  The LCD2s expand on those nice mids and has a much larger soundstage and imaging capability - the LCD2s has a much higher resolution which means the treble is more resolving...but if you think the T20s were dark and a little mute - you may think the same of the LCD2s.  The bass has a higher presence but the resolution of the bass is unbelievable, if you think the HD800 had too much bass...you'd probably think the LCD2s bass is ridiculously overdone.  I'd think the LCD2s would be classed as a "playback" reference can and not of a monitor reference. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #1,241 of 2,619

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a pair of T20V2 and they do have fantastic mids.  The LCD2s expand on those nice mids and has a much larger soundstage and imaging capability - the LCD2s has a much higher resolution which means the treble is more resolving...but if you think the T20s were dark and a little mute - you may think the same of the LCD2s.  The bass has a higher presence but the resolution of the bass is unbelievable, if you think the HD800 had too much bass...you'd probably think the LCD2s bass is ridiculously overdone.  I'd think the LCD2s would be classed as a "playback" reference can and not of a monitor reference. 

A good read. to the point. I love the Fostex mids... and one day I'll like to check out the resolution and the soundstage of the LCD2s, but for now ridiculously overdone bass and dark hps not sounds so much attempting to me.
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,242 of 2,619
On the LCD-2 vs K-70x conversation, I own both cans so I can put my 2¢ in...

I’ll say it like this: when I put the LCD-2 on, I can’t go to the K-702 - Thats just too brutal to stand... But the other way around is fine. So LCD-2 = 1, K-702 = nil.

And the K-70x need some pretty strong EQ to appeal to me (mostly to awaken the bass and tame the upper treble), while the LCD-2 only require a slight 2 db nudge in the lower treble.

As for the echo in acoustic instruments (orchestras). I feel it is very natural (I play the 6 string guitar and the classic 12 string guitar myself). Real « played right beside you » orchestra tend to have a lot of echo in the decay of the notes. You hear those when you are close to the instrument. So because the microphones are close to the instruments (or « on stage » if you will), they pick up this echo. And because the LCD-2 have the ability to portray this detail, they have what I would describe as a « on stage » classical presentation instead of a « in the 5th row » presentation.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,243 of 2,619
HE-6 does the things I wished the LCD-2 did. In the end, the laid back presentation was what swayed me. I am not a fan of that and I always liked the AKG sound over the Sennheiser sound. I think I am at the top of the dynamic offerings and going back to the K701 just isn't right. I have found a suitable home for a good friend.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #1,244 of 2,619
K702 Amp Question..

Hi this is my first post and I look forward to opinions fm other experienced K702 users..hope this is not the inappropriate thread to post..

I am completely new to 'head-fi', just got my K702..and is now plugging into an Accuphase E305v (one of the older integrated amp with 100w/ch)..my source is a squeezebox win7 dedictaed music server (with 1T classical/jazz mostly 24/96+ tracks) - squeezebox touch with outboard linear power supply - Cambridge 805c CD/DAC. The connections are wifi, optical, balanced XLR into the Accuphase.

Question: actually I think the K702 straight to the accuphase provide pretty nice sound (k702 burn in only 20 hours)..this is an encouraging sign and I am eager to see how much more the 702 can do. What dedicated headphone amp brand/model can you recommend that will make a big upgrade fm my current setup? (or is it that the amp I am using is sufficient??) I have a preference for valve amp and I have read about a lot of reccommendations on this thread for china brands such as Dark Voice or Little Dots (it will be convenient for me to buy chinese product as I live in China!) and if I do not have a budget constraint would any of their top models be overkill? otherwise what other products would you recommend for me to see that 'big jump'? I am looking for best possible imaging and sound staging, apart from tonal quality.

Thanks very much in advance!! 

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,245 of 2,619

Quote:
K702 Amp Question..

Hi this is my first post and I look forward to opinions fm other experienced K702 users..hope this is not the inappropriate thread to post..

I am completely new to 'head-fi', just got my K702..and is now plugging into an Accuphase E305v (one of the older integrated amp with 100w/ch)..my source is a squeezebox win7 dedictaed music server (with 1T classical/jazz mostly 24/96+ tracks) - squeezebox touch with outboard linear power supply - Cambridge 805c CD/DAC. The connections are wifi, optical, balanced XLR into the Accuphase.

Question: actually I think the K702 straight to the accuphase provide pretty nice sound (k702 burn in only 20 hours)..this is an encouraging sign and I am eager to see how much more the 702 can do. What dedicated headphone amp brand/model can you recommend that will make a big upgrade fm my current setup? (or is it that the amp I am using is sufficient??) I have a preference for valve amp and I have read about a lot of reccommendations on this thread for china brands such as Dark Voice or Little Dots (it will be convenient for me to buy chinese product as I live in China!) and if I do not have a budget constraint would any of their top models be overkill? otherwise what other products would you recommend for me to see that 'big jump'? I am looking for best possible imaging and sound staging, apart from tonal quality.

Thanks very much in advance!! 

Welcome to Head-Fi.  I had to sell the Ming Da MC84-C07 to raise funds for other purchases.  In hindsight, I probably should have never sold it, because my K701s don't sound as good with the rest of my amps.  This was the defacto amp that I used for either K701 or K1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back